Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2014 10:04:52 PM EDT
I think I need one.

I believe this thing will be as close as I'm ever going to get to a Grover #5, on my budget.

Crossposted with GD also.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
A .44 magnum, you can shoot both .44 Special and .44 Magnum.  But if you are trying to be like Elmer Keith, then that can be a lot of fun also.  I have a Blackhawk in both .44 Special and .44 magnum (but neither is a Bisley).  They are a blast to shoot with 240 grain lead semi-wad cutters.  Just be sure you follow the advice of Brian Pierce and others and down load the 2400 Keith load a bit.  The modern 2400 is a little stouter than the older 2400 powder.  In .44 special cases and guns that is.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]

I already have a S&W Model 29 for my Magnum addiction. I'm thinking more of the lighter weight and handiess of the Bisley .44 Special, which is built on the .357 frame instead of the .44 frame. Still 6 shots, though.

My intended load is the same load I do most of my Magnum shooting with: a cast 265 grain Keith SWC at 1050 fps. I do occasionally shoot 21 grains of 2400 behind the same bullet, for grins. (see, I DO back down from Elmer's load a bit )

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget to order some Starline .44 Special cases while you are at it.

So shiny and precious.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the Bisley grip frame better than the standard Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk. Try some out if you haven't already.

Either the 4.62 in. or the 5.5 in. barreled .44 Specials that are made by Ruger for Lipsey's or the .45 Colt equivalents done for Williams Shooters Supply would be sweet. If you're one who can't ward off "magnumitis" or plan on hunting with it, you could get a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in .44 Mag. and have a pistol smith trim the barrel. (A .44 Special isn't legal for hunting deer in my state because the case is too short.) The shorter barrel paired with the Bisley grip frame makes an ideal carry-use-every-day revolver particularly if you live in a rural area.

Probably 90 percent of the .44 Mag. ammo I use is loaded with 240-grain cast SWC bullets at mid-range velocities. A pound of Unique lasts a lot longer than a pound of 2400. I don't give up much by shooting .44 Specials except the brass is scarcer. But it lasts a very long time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
One interesting thing to consider is the fact that the .44 Special Bisleys (as well as the .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertibles) from Lipsey's are a bit different than the 'normal' Blackhawks in that they are the Flat-Top models. Not only do they have a STEEL grip frame instead of the standard aluminum ones, but unlike the standard Blackhawks, the cylinders index properly with the loading gate. To clarify, this includes the convertibles from Lipsey's only; the standard Ruger convertibles have the newer style frames as well as the aluminum grip frames.

I have one of the .44 Special non-Bisley models, and it indeed has a steel grip frame as well as the free-spin pawl along with a special detent installed in the frame to keep the cylinder from rotating backward. It is very similar in design to the old 50th Anniversary .357 models, which also shared these features.

I think yours is a VERY solid choice.

My .44 Special:

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have owned several 44s over the years ,used for target practice and deer hunting. I wanted a super blackhawk Hunter for years - finally found one in perfect shape for a great price bought it , shot it , shot it some more - and as much as I wanted to like it ...I ended up selling it.
On the last range trip out with it , I also took my model 29.

I have come to the conclusion the single action style grip angle transfers more recoil to the shooter , even with a 7.5" barrel the muzzle flip was greater than the model 29.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy it. I bought one almost two years ago and wouldn't sell it for the world. Of course I own a total seven .44 Specials so I am a teeny bit partial.

I've owned a couple of .44 Magnums and find the cartridge and the added weight of the magnum revolver totally unnecessary. In a good, stout revolver like a NM Blackhawk a .44 Special can easily be loaded to factory .44 Magnum levels as loaded by the Big 3 ammo manufacturers; that's be a 240-260 gr. cast SWC running 1200+ fps.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Well guys, I fail.

I logged in to Bud's to order it this afternoon, and got hit with an ad for a M&P 9L, which I've been searching for for about 5 years now. And it was cheaper, so I jumped on it. I know, I've let you all down.

However, I do intend to purchase the Blackhawk by the end of the year. As soon as my Rossi 92 .357 sells, that money buys my Blackhawk.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#9]
As a partial penance, here's a pic of two bullet I cast. A Keith 358429 and an RCBS 44-250-K, which weighs 265 grains, lubed and ready to load.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]
VG,

Those a very fine looking bullets. Sorry about the plastic pistol distractions but it does happen..

I have a standard large frame .44 Bisley, as well as a newer, smaller frame Flattop Blackhawk, except it's in .45 (convertible) acp/colt.  Awesome little gun. I'm in the process of acquiring an aluminum grip frame to shave some weight off the little guy.

The full size Bisley is a big gun, but fun to shoot the heavies through. Those bullets of yours would be great candidates..

When you get around to picking up one of the small frame guns you will be happy you did. Very satisfying to handle. They just balance right.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One interesting thing to consider is the fact that the .44 Special Bisleys (as well as the .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertibles) from Lipsey's are a bit different than the 'normal' Blackhawks in that they are the Flat-Top models. Not only do they have a STEEL grip frame instead of the standard aluminum ones, but unlike the standard Blackhawks, the cylinders index properly with the loading gate. To clarify, this includes the convertibles from Lipsey's only; the standard Ruger convertibles have the newer style frames as well as the aluminum grip frames.

I have one of the .44 Special non-Bisley models, and it indeed has a steel grip frame as well as the free-spin pawl along with a special detent installed in the frame to keep the cylinder from rotating backward. It is very similar in design to the old 50th Anniversary .357 models, which also shared these features.

I think yours is a VERY solid choice.

My .44 Special:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3849/14816857257_d01e5ecfe8_k.jpg

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3864/14816674489_5c1e8619da_b.jpg
View Quote

Once again Arfcom adds to my knowledge!  I've owned a pair of 5.5 inch 44 Special Blackhawks for over a year.  And never noticed the "44 Special" written on the left side as shown in the picture.  Had to dig them out and also discovered the grip frames attract a magnet.  FWIW the Galco SAO holsters are a great match for these guns.

Paladin

ETA: 8.0 Unique under a 240 grain hard cast lead is a decent load without the drama of the old Kieth 2400 load.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:49:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I have fired both frame models.   The Bisley handles the recoil a lot better.   If you are going to shoot a lot of heavy loads the Bisley is the way to go.   The standard smacks my knuckle realy good while the Bisley makes the load seem light, very comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#13]
OP has failed us, shame be unto him, shun shun shun

What barrel length would you go with on this model?  The 4.62" or the 5.5"?  Which would have better balance in the hand?

.44 Special is one of my weaknesses.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What barrel length would you go with on this model?  The 4.62" or the 5.5"?  Which would have better balance in the hand?

View Quote

I've shot the 4 5/8 inch, and I think I'd prefer the 5 1/2 inch. From what I've read, the longer barrel feels a tiny bit front heavy.

I like the longer sight radius, mostly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've shot the 4 5/8 inch, and I think I'd prefer the 5 1/2 inch. From what I've read, the longer barrel feels a tiny bit front heavy.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I too would like the slightly longer version.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As a partial penance, here's a pic of two bullet I cast. A Keith 358429 and an RCBS 44-250-K, which weighs 265 grains, lubed and ready to load.

<a href="http://s17.photobucket.com/user/vanilla_gorilla911/media/casting051.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/vanilla_gorilla911/casting051.jpg</a>
View Quote

I cast and shoot that same RCBS bullet . Great design and accurate . I use LBT Blue Soft lube on mine .
About your pic . I don't see any lube .
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I cast and shoot that same RCBS bullet . Great design and accurate . I use LBT Blue Soft lube on mine .

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s17.photobucket.com/user/vanilla_gorilla911/media/casting051.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/vanilla_gorilla911/casting051.jpg</a>

That were taken prior to lubrisizing. I use a 50/50 mixture of paraffin and axle grease that works far better than I thought it would.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I were limited to just one .44 caliber bullet, the RCBS 44-250KT would be it. Cast of clip on wheelweights, mine drop from the mould at 260 grs. I took two deer with that bullet last year and it did a great job. This one penetrated from the left flank to the front of the right shoulder on a buck.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:27:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Sweet!!

Let's see the buck!!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sweet!!

Let's see the buck!!
View Quote

OK:

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Great looking deer and revolver!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#22]

That is a GREAT PHOTO

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like the Bisley grip frame better than the standard Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk. Try some out if you haven't already.

Either the 4.62 in. or the 5.5 in. barreled .44 Specials that are made by Ruger for Lipsey's or the .45 Colt equivalents done for Williams Shooters Supply would be sweet. If you're one who can't ward off "magnumitis" or plan on hunting with it, you could get a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in .44 Mag. and have a pistol smith trim the barrel. (A .44 Special isn't legal for hunting deer in my state because the case is too short.) The shorter barrel paired with the Bisley grip frame makes an ideal carry-use-every-day revolver particularly if you live in a rural area.

Probably 90 percent of the .44 Mag. ammo I use is loaded with 240-grain cast SWC bullets at mid-range velocities. A pound of Unique lasts a lot longer than a pound of 2400. I don't give up much by shooting .44 Specials except the brass is scarcer. But it lasts a very long time.
View Quote

I just picked one of these up yesterday. I have a few Uberti revolvers buit I wanted something to go with my Rossi 92 stainless .45lc that I could shoot heavier loads with.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:53:13 AM EDT
[#24]
My .44 special is a model 28 S&W converted to .44 special. the person that did it, found a .44 special barrel in the wihite, but marked, . he smooved out the machine marks in the barrel, reblued the gun , and did a trigger job on it. it shot a 1 1/2" group off a machine rest at the range at 50 yards. I'll keep the gun till die! but I do have several  uberti's in .44 special(open tops) and they are also very accurate. I like the .44 special a lot.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 44 Mag Ruger Bisley Vaquero w/ 4-5/8 bbl  in stainless and it is awesome. I do wish that I waited for the Super Blackhawk but as I'd rather have adjustable sights but I got a great deal on mine. It just gives me another reason to buy another revolver.

Right now I load Honady 240gr XTP bullet as I haven't purchased a casting mold-yet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top