Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2014 8:31:31 AM EDT
I just picked up a 5.5" Ruger Blackhawk convertible .45, I'm not new to revolvers but this is the first single action cowboy gun I've ever shot. I mainly plan to shoot .45acp and was wondering if anyone's noticed a difference in accuracy between 230 grain and 185 grain rounds? I stockpile bulk reloads in both type, 230 grain for pistols and 185 for my Just Right carbine. So far the only accessory I've ordered for it is a Hogue monogrip. I was planning on replacing the sights but I'll try a dab of paint on the front blade first and see how that performs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:49:42 AM EDT
[#1]
the 185s will likely shoot lower
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
. So far the only accessory I've ordered for it is a Hogue monogrip..
View Quote

Please deposit Hogue monogrip into a proper recycling facility upon its arrival ------  can't think of an uglier accessory to put on a nice single action --- hideous

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please deposit Hogue monogrip into a proper recycling facility upon its arrival ------  can't think of an uglier accessory to put on a nice single action --- hideous

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. So far the only accessory I've ordered for it is a Hogue monogrip..

but very comfortable if you have big hands
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Enjoy your new toy. Soon you'll find out that you can load up some really powerful loads for the 45 ACP when using a revolver which turns it into a whole different gun. I recently picked up a S&W Mountain Gun in 45 ACP and started loading some "good" ammo for it. You can get 10mm + power from a 45 ACP revolver but DO NOT put those loads in an auto.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Enjoy your new toy. Soon you'll find out that you can load up some really powerful loads for the 45 ACP when using a revolver which turns it into a whole different gun.
View Quote

Sure -- but why?    --- you can quickly drop the 45 Colt cylinder in and shoot loads that exceed 44 MAg performance   rather than trying to hot rod the ACP
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sure -- but why?    --- you can quickly drop the 45 Colt cylinder in and shoot loads that exceed 44 MAg performance   rather than trying to hot rod the ACP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enjoy your new toy. Soon you'll find out that you can load up some really powerful loads for the 45 ACP when using a revolver which turns it into a whole different gun.

Maybe for that guy that wants an in between load between anemic 45 ACP/45 LC loads and 44 Mag loads?? I personally love shooting 44 magnum revolvers up to 445 Super Mag but my little 625 has a place too and being able to load it up to ~700ft lbs of energy with minimal amounts of powder is a nice added benefit. To each their own, just thought I'd point out another possibility for the OPs new toy that he may not have been aware of.

"shoot loads that exceed 44 MAg performance" just barely and arguable depending on the gun. 44 is still ballistically superior down range and will deliver more power on longer shots.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe for that guy that wants an in between load between anemic 45 ACP/45 LC loads and 44 Mag loads?? I personally love shooting 44 magnum revolvers up to 445 Super Mag but my little 625 has a place too and being able to load it up to ~700ft lbs of energy with minimal amounts of powder is a nice added benefit. To each their own, just thought I'd point out another possibility for the OPs new toy that he may not have been aware of.

"shoot loads that exceed 44 MAg performance" just barely and arguable depending on the gun. 44 is still ballistically superior down range and will deliver more power on longer shots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 45 Colt is one of the most versatile cartridges out there (as is the 44 Mag/Special family, but i'd rather use .451 than .429 ) -----   the Blackhawk is one of the guns that can take a bit of horsepower as well - there are "blackhawk spec" loads for it

The 45 Colt by itself can handle rooster poot loads at 45 ACP velocities , as well as mid range loads (similar to your 10mm analogy) -  on up to full zip bear loads   ----  if someone had a Square Deal set up for 45 Colt -- there would be no need to even get the ACP cylinder dirty  --- but it does serve a purpose for guys who dont reload much / and or the guy who shoots 1911's and has a surplus of acp stuff to begin with
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought my convertible Blackhawk sometime in the 90's and I've never shot .45acp out of it.    I've shot everything from light blackpowder loads up to 335gr Ruger only heavy loads in the LC cylinder.  A buddy of mine used his with the 45acp cylinder when he was working up some .45 Super loads for his Glock.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:01:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Blackhawk Convertible .45Colt/acp blued, 5.5".... I've found they shoot very, very close to each other.  I'm sure the point of aim would change when comparing high power one against low power the other at longer ranges but with regular target/fun loads mine shoots so close there's no need to adjust anything.

I will agree with the others who said get rid of that Hogue monogrip.  They are hideously ugly and absolutely an abomination to single action revolvers...I despise those things!  You don't need one, the recoil is isn't bad enough to warrant such a monstrosity and even with hot ammo folks will tell you to let the gun rise in your hand and use up that recoil energy in the process.

I will say I love shooting both calibers equally.  My favorite single action caliber is .45 Colt and my favorite semi-auto caliber is .45acp so it works out great.  Initially I thought I would shoot more .45 Colt but the .45acp shoots so well and is much cheaper and abundant that I've been shooting far more .45acp out of it.  Great for practice!
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I haven't reloaded in 20 years but if I start back I'm tempted to try loading some black powder .45 Colt cartridges. My Dad and I still shoot his muzzle loader so I have plenty of black powder lying around and  we cast our own .38 slugs so he has lots of lead on hand. So I'd only have to spring for a mold and I can cast my own .45 Colt slugs. But I'm not reloading now and I always stockpile a 'respectable' amount of .45acp so I'm good for now with the .45acp cylinder.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I haven't reloaded in 20 years but if I start back I'm tempted to try loading some black powder .45 Colt cartridges. My Dad and I still shoot his muzzle loader so I have plenty of black powder lying around and  we cast our own .38 slugs so he has lots of lead on hand. So I'd only have to spring for a mold and I can cast my own .45 Colt slugs. But I'm not reloading now and I always stockpile a 'respectable' amount of .45acp so I'm good for now with the .45acp cylinder.
View Quote

Very cool

Black powder guys refer to it as "The holy black"   -- but i just refer to it as the stinky black and stick to smokeless

by the tone of my responses, one would surmise that i am a 45 Colt "homer", (and i am )  ----  but i do have a convertible 'Hawk in layaway myself so i can use my stockpile of ACP stuff too       ---   I shit-canned all my semi-autos except for 3 Glock 10mm's  and now i am pre-dominately a revolver guy (but with a few thousane rounds of ACP and 9 mil put back for a rainy day)
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#12]
45 acp out of the blackhawk was never as accurate as 45 colt for me. Traded it in when I saw two used Ruger 454's.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#13]
My younger brother has a Blackhawk (convertible).  It's a great gun and way fun to shoot in .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#14]
.45 ACP seems to be pretty close in mine.  An oversized base pin was a great upgrade for my Blackhawk.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a couple of stainless .45 Colt NMBH with .45 ACP cylinders. I have found that with my guns, not only did the .45 Colt cylinders have tight chamber throats, the .45 ACP cylinders did as well. They all shot much better when they had been reamed. In addition I had the .45 ACP cylinders modified to allow the use of .45 AR in addition to the .45 ACP. I find I mostly use the .45 AR on the range, usually in conjunction with my S&W 625. I think the Ruger cycles a little more smoothly with AR cases than ACP.

I also have large hands and find the Eagle Gunfighter grips work very well for me. I use checkered grips on the lighter recoiling guns, like my .357, and smooth grips on my heavy recoiling .44. I have smooth grips on one .45 and checkered on the other.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an older large frame Ruger convertible, as well as a newer smaller frame Flattop convertible. Both in .45. Love them both and use the 99% of the time with acp loads. They are both very accurate with the ACP cylinders.

In fact I am in the slow process of customizing the Flattop to be my ultimate single action plinker. Need to find an aluminum grip frame to swap out for the stainless steel grip frame. The stainless grip is very pretty but I want the weight savings of the aluminum frame.

The large frame .45 convertible could possibly be considered the most practical big bore single action for the outdoorsman ever. With the ability to shoot heavy hard cast .45 Colt loads, such as 340 grain hard cast for big game and dangerous predators, then switch to the ACP cylinder for general outdoors use and less expensive plinking, it's pretty easy to make an argument for the .45 convertible as the most practical sidearm in a reasonable package.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I doubt you will find a bigger proponent of the awesomely practical .44 Magnum, I have to disagree with the statement of the .44 being ballistically superior. I also have experimented with hot rod .45 Colt loads and can attest that in Ruger large frame single actions, as well as .45 Redhawks that you can easily exceed .44 mag performance.

The 360 grain cast bullet pushed by very stout loads of H110 is a perfect example. I call this my elephants and dinosaurs load. Nipping on the heels of .454 Casull performance, it outpaces top .44 mad loads by a decent margin.

The .44 is still my favorite Magnum though.  :)
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

While I doubt you will find a bigger proponent of the awesomely practical .44 Magnum, I have to disagree with the statement of the .44 being ballistically superior. I also have experimented with hot rod .45 Colt loads and can attest that in Ruger large frame single actions, as well as .45 Redhawks that you can easily exceed .44 mag performance.

The 360 grain cast bullet pushed by very stout loads of H110 is a perfect example. I call this my elephants and dinosaurs load. Nipping on the heels of .454 Casull performance, it outpaces top .44 mad loads by a decent margin.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BOOOOMMMMM !!!!   --       (im an unabashed 45 Colt fan ---- but have nothing against the 44 either )
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

BOOOOMMMMM !!!!   --       (im an unabashed 45 Colt fan ---- but have nothing against the 44 either )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well while true dinosaur loads in the 45lc can get past 44 loads, the ballistics are better in the 44....this is fact. Get a ballistic calculator, put in the same weight bullet for each cartridge and you'll find the coefficient for the 44 is better obviously translating to better downrange energy. I myself push my Redhawks and Freedom Arms 44 magnums to the limits but when I want to go hot I pull out the 445 Super Mags and get nuts. My 16" Encore 445 is a real blast.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top