Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2014 11:59:06 AM EDT
I picked-up this 14-3 K-38 Masterpiece (.38 special) in a trade yesterday at the flea market. I figure I've got about $200.00 invested in it.

It's in pretty decent shape with a bit of wear at the muzzle and cylinder. No target hammer, trigger, or stocks. Numbers match as they should.

The good folks over on the S&W Forum told me it was made in 1972.

I have a local LGS that is a honey hole for used vintage S&W factory stocks for reasonable prices so I'll pick up a set of target stocks there that suits me.

LOL....I should have posted it here in the first place. Revolvers seem very underappreciated in our S&W sub-forum. All they want to talk about are plastic M&Ps.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
very very nice  go shoot it.

I prefer arhends grips but if you can find some football cut targets that's awesome.  

you have a nice iron their enjoy it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#3]
That right there, is a beauty.  For 200 bucks?  Wow.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I prefer arhends grips but if you can find some football cut targets that's awesome.  

View Quote

I'd prefer a set of S&W "banana" stocks if the shop has a set for a K-frame.

Here is a set on my 37-1 Airweight.

They made the same stocks for K, L, and N, frames. It's a excellent grip fro those like myself that do not care for finger grooves or bulky target stocks.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate you. Again.

Seriously, nice pick up, it looks just like my K-22 Masterpiece.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#6]
That looks terrible OP.  I'll give you $201.50 for it
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing teaches smooth trigger manipulation like a revolver like that and rolling 6 rounds into tight little cloverleafs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Jackpot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I went looking at my LGS today for a set of larger stocks for my K-38 and found a lightly used set that suits me for $27.00.

Not too thrilled with the two tone color but they feel great. I like a smooth set of stocks without finger grooves.

No idea who made them. The halves are even pinned. Nice fit.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#10]
$200.00  Now,  What a deal.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I picked-up this 14-3 K-38 Masterpiece (.38 special) in a trade yesterday at the flea market. I figure I've got about $200.00 invested in it.

It's in pretty decent shape with a bit of wear at the muzzle and cylinder. No target hammer, trigger, or stocks. Numbers match as they should.

The good folks over on the S&W Forum told me it was made in 1972.

I have a local LGS that is a honey hole for used vintage S&W factory stocks for reasonable prices so I'll pick up a set of target stocks there that suits me.

LOL....I should have posted it here in the first place. Revolvers seem very underappreciated in our S&W sub-forum. All they want to talk about are plastic M&Ps.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2vjwg84.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2gtpug0.jpg
View Quote

That's a fine revolver!  Congrats.  I have a K38 Target Masterpiece that was built in 1949 and is perfect.  I also have it's little brother the K22 (model 19), built in the same year.  My Dad bought them new and gave them to me last year.  They are both very smooth and very accurate.  You got a great deal on that K38.  It's a classic.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I went looking at my LGS today for a set of larger stocks for my K-38 and found a lightly used set that suits me for $27.00.

Not too thrilled with the two tone color but they feel great. I like a smooth set of stocks without finger grooves.

No idea who made them. The halves are even pinned. Nice fit.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2hebrzt.jpg

http://oi62.tinypic.com/zwdqpt.jpg
View Quote

Looks like altamont grips.
Nice grips at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#13]
One of these days I am going to go to find out this secret flea market you always find amazing deals at.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#14]
If you your part as far as accuracy out to fifty yards ( this wow I shot an accurate group at seven yards nonsense you see far too much of is a joke)  nothing other than a semi custom 1911 or sig 210 ( both at ten times the price) will hold a candle to a six inch k frame
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]

I've been on the hunt for a Model 14 for some time. I want a twin to my Model 17.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#16]
nice revolver.
it's a twin to my 17; I got a deal on that, too. I paid $240 for it, then had the trigger malfunction after 100 rounds.
turns out the guy selling it had messed with the trigger and jacked it up, so he just sold the gun. Dumbass... I paid a gunsmith $75 to fix it up, and he got the SA pull light and breaking like a glass rod. DA is about 8 pounds, smooth, and steady all the way through.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice!  My Dad gave me a K38 Target Masterpiece and a K22 that he bought new in 1949.  They're both in 99% condition.  They both also have the large diamond factory grips.  You got a great deal on that K38.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:34:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Very nice. I have a soft spot for K-Frames. As soon as I turned 21 I bought a 3" 65 and had Karl Sokol build a custom carry gun out of it for me. I've been carrying Sokol customs for over 20 years now.

Years ago there were still a lot of revolvers being traded in by PDs and I was working on the side for an LE supply store, brokering their trade-ins. Instead of cash I get paid in guns, ammo, or whatever I want. I would take one of every Smith revolver that came through the shop. Back then, nobody wanted them and we were only giving $125-175 each! I have a large collection of all the different M10 lengths, 13, 65 and 66 snubs, and one department even traded in some Victory Models and old M&P .38's.

I was just in the right place at the right time in PD trade-in history. After that, it went on to the mass of 9mm's coming through, and we are now flooded with .40's. It makes me wonder what's next.

OP, great find. I only find BP guns at flea markets.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Years ago there were still a lot of revolvers being traded in by PDs and I was working on the side for an LE supply store, brokering their trade-ins. Instead of cash I get paid in guns, ammo, or whatever I want. I would take one of every Smith revolver that came through the shop. Back then, nobody wanted them and we were only giving $125-175 each! I have a large collection of all the different M10 lengths, 13, 65 and 66 snubs, and one department even traded in some Victory Models and old M&P .38's.

View Quote

I've been on the hunt for a 5 inch M&P or Model 10 for years now. I wish I'd had your opportunities!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top