Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2014 7:11:54 PM EDT
I'm looking for a snubby revolver for front pocket carry when my G19 is less than desirable due to summer heat, deep concealment required, quick trip outside within our relatively peaceful neighborhood, etc . After extensive research I was more or less set on the 642 (no lock thank you very much) until I saw the new LCR in 9mm that was just announced.  The LCR is a couple ounces heavier but having a caliber in common with my G19 is hugely desirable.  Any opinions either way on the new 9mm LCR?

Much thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I just went thru this problem. Originally I wanted a S &W 940  but the prices are crazy. Thought about the 9mm LCR cause like you, a common caliber with my G19 for summer carry is a win in my book. But, I don't like being first out of the gate on new products. I wanted a tried and true design and the 642-1 (no lock) fit the bill. Tons of holsters and grips available to boot. I may get the LCR someday, but the Smith is a proven performer right now. Best of luck!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]

642 .38+p

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a big fan of the Smith J-frame and own several.

I do own one LCR in .38 and the 9mm is intriguing.

If this is likely to be your one and only venture into the wheel gun arena I'd recommend the 642 or similar (342, 442, etc....)
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Id go with the 642.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#5]
S&W all the way.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
a comment from past experience with pistol cartridges that normally headspace on the case mouth (SW M25 in .45acp), but are instead loaded in full moon clips ...the extractor groove on auto loading cartridge cases will allow the individual cartridges to move around more than a piece of rimmed brass like a 38spl...bent full moon clips can cause ignition problems... dirt under the full moon clip can cause additional problems... I'd pass on the 9mm version, until the "beta" testing is done to see if they have solved the problems..
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#7]
At least in my area gun shops have dozens of used j frames under 300 bucks. Considering you are go ii to put wear on it any way and j frames pretty much last forever a used one would be my answer- older guns with great build quality smoothed out from years of use no lock if that bothers you.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
a comment from past experience with pistol cartridges that normally headspace on the case mouth (SW M25 in .45acp), but are instead loaded in full moon clips ...the extractor groove on auto loading cartridge cases will allow the individual cartridges to move around more than a piece of rimmed brass like a 38spl...bent full moon clips can cause ignition problems... dirt under the full moon clip can cause additional problems... I'd pass on the 9mm version, until the "beta" testing is done to see if they have solved the problems..
View Quote

A bent moonclip can certainly cause problems, the simple solution is checking your moon clips before you use them.  Load the moonclip with ammunition.  Put the moon clip in the gun, point the gun in a safe direction (I use the corner in my basement reloading room).  With your finger OFF the trigger pull the hammer back just far enough to disengage the cylinder lock.  Now rotate the cylinder if it rotates easily you're good to go.  I do with with all my moon clips that I carry and compete with.  If they pass that check I have never had a problem with them working.

I have never had dirt under a moon clip cause a problem, evar!.  I have probably close to 10,000rd through a 625 in the past 3-4 years.  I have gone hundreds of round between cleaning and still no problems and I am running a really light trigger on that gun so light it only works reliably with Federal Primers.

If you select the proper moon clip and brass combination the fit with rimless brass can be just a good at rimmed brass.  TK Custom and Hearthco make some spectacular moon clips and will custom make them for your brass if you want to go to that extreme and expense.  Starline brass and TK Custom (cut for Starline) is always a good combination.

For carry I carry a 442 Moon clip (stainless cylinder like the 642 cut for moonclips, no internal lock).  I load the gun with a moon clip for more reliable ejection and a speed strip for a reload since it lays real flat in my pocket.  One problem with carry a moon clip revolver is carrying a moonclip in your pocket.  Without some thing to protect it you asking for problems.  There are some protectors available out there although I doubt any fitted for 9mm yet.

ETA: correction I found someone that will make a moonclip pocket protector for a 9mm moonclip: http://www.delfatti.com/PMC%20Page.html

The only way I would get a snubby in 9mm would be if they made the frame and cylinder shorter to take advantage of the shorter cartridges.  That said it would be tempting if you where carrying it as a back up to a 9mm semi-auto.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

642 .38+p

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/Smith%20revolvers/snub1_zps7b0b74d9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/Smith%20revolvers/snub1_zps7b0b74d9.jpg</a>
View Quote

The 642 is a great choice.  Carry a speed strip and carry on.

Nice pic, BTW.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
it's tough to beat any S&W snub for the purpose you stated.

I vote for the 642; I have an all-stainless 649, and the extra weight makes +P 158 LSWHP comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Love my 442. I chose it over the LCR despite already owning an SP101. The 9mm LCR does intrigue me though. If nothing else I hope it's success in the hope that S&W will respond with a 9mm J-frame.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a 442 Pro, that like mcb I carry it with full moon clip .38 SPL and speed strip for backup for the same reasons.

CD
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#15]
When it came time to pick a little buddy for my G19, I settled on a 642.  Love it in pocket; gives me a real choice vs the G19.  It really is a "no excuse to not carry" gun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#16]
LCR has a really nice trigger. Way better than the Smith. The LCR grip feels better to me...slightly larger than the Smith. Both are nice guns. Can't go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:50:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

This again
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry a J Frame snubby (442) as a second handgun at work daily. The J Frame is a stellar pocket gun. Add a set of crimson trace laser grips to it and it becomes an even better performer. Laser grips on the J Frame very much improves the practical shootability of the little blaster.

In short the J Frame is one of my absolute "must have" guns in a well rounded handgunners basic battery.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Really need a picture...  love the the J Frame. I can't tell you how many times I've spoken to an unknown threat with my hand casually in my pocket.....

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Really need a picture...  love the the J Frame. I can't tell you how many times I've spoken to an unknown threat with my hand casually in my pocket.....

<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2222e8e7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2222e8e7.jpg</a>

View Quote

Love the broken in look on that J!
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I went with a 642, the LCR just didn't feel right after years of a S&W. I also don't want to have to use moon clips, a speed strip is much better for a CCW reload. I don't really see much advantage to common ammo between the revolver and G19, I'm not going to take ammo out of one to reload the other.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#22]
LCR in .38 Special...and I have a S&W model 60 already....<><.....:)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top