Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2014 6:56:18 PM EDT
I've had this itch for a three inch K/L frame sized wheel gun for quite some time. I've got numerous really nice 4"-6" Smiths and Colts, but I've wanted to get my hands on a 3" DAO that I could shoot the piss out of and not worry too much about value and wear. I wanted a S&W because I can work on that action, but a 3" K frame is apparently made of unobtanium and the prices they seem to command puts it out of reach for the amount of abuse I want to subject it to. For what people are asking for a used 3" K frame, I can buy a new 3" GP100.

Buds has used 4" model 10's for $300. I have no historical interest in a 70% M10, but is this pistol a good candidate for a barrel chop? Is there anything else I'm over looking? Thanks for any info.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#1]
PM me and I'll tell you about what you are asking for. It ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I understand to go from a 4" to 3" you not only have to chop the barrel but reset the front sight and somehow deal with the ejector rod and housing .

Then you have to refinish or coat the hacked parts.

Unless you are clever at metal work consider you will have to pay someone several to quite a few hours labor to do the work. Not the type of job you want some backyard hacker to train himself on your gun and dime.

As in many other custom gun deals , usually just best to save some cash and buy the thing you really instead of trying to change something into something it isn't .

On the other hand if you have some skills or have some crafty friends and are able to find the proper project gun , go for it.

One of the sweetest guns I have shot was a 3" model 10 a fellow club member got when his father passed . At quick glance it passes as a chiefs special but then you realize it has six holes and is a bit bigger overall including the round butt grips.

If you go ahead lots of us would like to see the before , during and after photos
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
All of these have had the barrels shortened. Toughest part is putting a front sight back on.

The 28 & M&P are silver soldered, the 581 & 681 wear Novak Tritiums in dovetails.

If you're going 3 inch, the ejector rod and shroud/lockup won't be an issue. I did all the work myself except the cutting of the dovetails.

ETA-those Bud's 10s are perfect for this project.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've had this itch for a three inch K/L frame sized wheel gun for quite some time. I've got numerous really nice 4"-6" Smiths and Colts, but I've wanted to get my hands on a 3" DAO that I could shoot the piss out of and not worry too much about value and wear. I wanted a S&W because I can work on that action, but a 3" K frame is apparently made of unobtanium and the prices they seem to command puts it out of reach for the amount of abuse I want to subject it to. For what people are asking for a used 3" K frame, I can buy a new 3" GP100.

Buds has used 4" model 10's for $300. I have no historical interest in a 70% M10, but is this pistol a good candidate for a barrel chop? Is there anything else I'm over looking? Thanks for any info.

View Quote

Sporting Arms in Lewisville, tx has trade in model 64s from Brinks Security. 4 inch is $200, 2 inch is $275.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#5]
If you get the heavy barrel model, you can have a dovetail cut to fit a front sight.   Then you can adjust windage easily.   The thin barrel will be a bit trickier but you can have a ramp soldered on and then ad the dovetail sight.  I have a 3 inch M64 S&W and it is just right for a 38 Special IMHO.   Got mine in 1982.

I just looked at the Bud's website.   They show the heavy barreled version.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#6]
A cut, recrown and soldering the sights back in place isn't a ton of work or time. I've read threads in recent years where posters have had Super Redhawks chopped a few inches for around $100-150. Anything more than that and you should really be shopping for a new gunsmith.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I am a smith fan boy but for what you are discussing you may want to look into a taurus and spend some on a great trigger job.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife said she'd wished my 4" was at least a 6"
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not just get a Dan Wesson with a bunch of different barrels then you can shoot whatever length you want when you want.  That's what I did.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am a smith fan boy but for what you are discussing you may want to look into a taurus and spend some on a great trigger job.
View Quote

Why? I'd much rather have an S&W 10 than any Taurus......
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:...
View Quote

+1

me too
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

+1

me too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...

+1

me too

+1111111111111...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#15]
By the time you pay for a really good shortening job on a 300 dollar used gun you can be patient wait and find a true three inch in the same price range
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Smith model 65 and Karl Sokol right now getting shortened down to 3" . Also getting a Big Dot front sight and a lot of other things done to it. It's a spare gun I had laying around and don't miss it any while it's been gone. I told him " take your time , no rush"
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#17]
````````````
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top