Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2014 2:04:43 PM EDT
My buddy has a Ruger super Blackhawk in 357.  Blued, I think a 6" barrel and it is a flat top.
I've heard the flat tops are pretty rare, is that true?   The serial number is in the 37000's. He thought it was bought in the late 50's

Does anyone have any idea of a manufacture date? (Or where to find it)
A very general value of the gun in fair condition.
Are the flat tops more valuable?  

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
For manufacture date, look here

Part of the value will depend on whether it has had the transfer bar retrofitted.  If it has been 'updated', just having the original parts may help the value, as I understand.

Someone else may have a better handle on the value.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:29:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say an older flat top Blackhawk would be more valuable, but Ruger does still make them in .44 Special and .45 Colt/.45 ACP.

I agree that one without the transfer bar mod would be more desirable.

ETA that I recently picked up a 1976 model for $399. Not a flat top, but it might give you an idea of prices for an older gun. An original from the 50's would definitely be of interest to a Ruger collector.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Have him go to the Ruger forum, those folks know everything Ruger. (It's the .net one)
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Cannot be a SBH and a flat top. 2 different guns. All SBH are .44 mag. A flat top .357 in the 37000 range is 1961-1962.

Depending on condition its worth $500-800.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top