Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2014 5:17:24 PM EDT
I have a 65 and 66 in LNIB condition. I bought them about a year apart and they shoot great. The 65 is from 93-94 and the 66 is from 89 if my research is correct. I have a bug to send them in to Smith and have either engraving done or the packages done(bead blast, trigger job, cylinder chamfering). Is this a really stupid idea?
I got the idea because I bought a mechanically great condition Python from 63 that has blueing wear in a very unsightly way and I am considering getting it Hard Chromed by Colt. Since I am sending them back to their respective MFGs., is it still detrimental to their values?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not do any of those things.  Especially the chrome.  The Python will be worth much more in it's original condition.  When I sold some old Colts (Pythons, Diamondbacks, etc.) every single person wanted a factory letter or got one on their own after the sale to document how the gun had left the factory.  I had to refund a guy when his letter proved the gun had been refinished in chrome.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
If I was going to get custom work done I would look for one with finish issues to send in and keep the NIB stock.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I was going to get custom work done I would look for one with finish issues to send in and keep the NIB stock.
View Quote

I'd probably do this.  On the other hand I rarely sell guns and I tend to look at them as tools instead of collector pieces.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The 65 and 66 are pretty common just sought after. Why not?

The Python is currently in collector status,  and may be best left unmolested. Hard chrome is last finish I'd consider. Royal Blue would be a wiser choice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Any refinish can and usually does drop collector values.  It will definitely drop the Python.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't do the Smiths. If the Colt is really bad, have the factory redo the original blue finish.
MHO
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't do the Smiths. If the Colt is really bad, have the factory redo the original blue finish.
MHO
View Quote

This, imho.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Agreed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top