BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 2:35:08 AM EDT
I've posted this up on my leverguns forum -- but figured i'd post here too

While trolling the gunstores looking for other stuff --- i ran across this --
  Could not resist
 ITs a 2nd generation NRA Centennial 1871-1971 edition, unfired , in .45 Colt

It will not remain unfired for long -- commemorative firearms rarely have any serious  value over and above what the base gun is worth, - and 43 years ago, they made 1000 of these, - so, while not something you come across everyday, is also not exceedingly rare ----  but no matter -- i like the way it looks and its a great companion piece for my .45 Trapper
   Thankfully, the commemorative script is tastefully done and not obtrusive at all

I was also able to snag a couple of bellyguns while out and about --- please ignore the ugly little black thing at the bottom ---  LOL
  In truth , Glock 42's are selling like hotcakes in my neck of the woods, so i grabbed it when i could -- its also a nice shooter    -------   since this pic was taken , i have added Crimson Trace grips to the 642 Smith and my wife has put her stamp on it
 but the pic provides a nice size comparison between a J frame and a G42

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice. I too would shoot that gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking Colt. I've been meaning to pick up an SAA again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Great find. I'd shoot that sucker too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice, I want a 4? Colt SAA .45 really bad! When you said they made 1000 of them did you mean they made 1000 of them or 1000's of them because there's no way I would ever shoot an unfired second generation Colt that was a 1 of 1000 gun.  Now, a gun that they made thousands of I would definitely shoot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice, I want a 4? Colt SAA .45 really bad! When you said they made 1000 of them did you mean they made 1000 of them or 1000's of them because there's no way I would ever shoot an unfired second generation Colt that was a 1 of 1000 gun.  Now, a gun that they made thousands of I would definitely shoot.
View Quote

Reportedly , the tally was 1000 total  ,  and were made in the 3 common barrel lengths, ( 4 5/8,  51/2, and 7 1/2 )- and in 357 or 45

I had actually thought that sounded like quite a lot considering the waning popularity of the single actions in favor of  more modern double actions in that time frame -- but maybe not

Total Colt production of SAA's to date is still less than 500k

I haven't shot it yet, --- my theories on it being a shooter were due to it being a commemorative --- The price of this one was far cheaper than i would expect to find a non commemorative 2nd Gen --- (still not "cheap" - but cost about what i'd expect to pay for a 3rd Gen, if i could find one ) --

If i procure a New Frontier in 44 Special or 45 in a short time frame, it could very well remain unfired, - as i like the adjustable sights better for a shooter  -----  but leaving a nice six gun unfired  in a case forever almost seems like abuse  -- if  old guns had souls  , they would cry to be back out in the wilderness again doing things they were designed to do ,   much like the talking gorilla from the movie Congo --
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:14:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Reportedly , the tally was 1000 total  ,  and were made in the 3 common barrel lengths, ( 4 5/8,  51/2, and 7 1/2 )- and in 357 or 45

I had actually thought that sounded like quite a lot considering the waning popularity of the single actions in favor of  more modern double actions in that time frame -- but maybe not

I haven't shot it yet, --- my theories on it being a shooter were due to it being a commemorative --- The price of this one was far cheaper than i would expect to find a non commemorative 2nd Gen --- (still not "cheap" - but cost about what i'd expect to pay for a 3rd Gen, if i could find one ) --

If i procure a New Frontier in 44 Special or 45 in a short time frame, it could very well remain unfired, - as i like the adjustable sights better for a shooter  -----  but leaving a nice six gun unfired  in a case forever almost seems like abuse  -- if  old guns had souls  , they would cry to be back out in the wilderness again doing things they were designed to do ,   much like the talking gorilla from the movie Congo --
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree but look at it like this....how would you like to own an unfired 2nd Gen 1 of 1000 Colt SAA 50 years from now or 100 years from now? Imagine having such a gun being passed down through your family becoming more and more valuable with every generation.  There's no way I'd shoot that gun, if you get the urge please send it to me for safe keeping! Seriously, it's a 1-1000 2nd gen Colt SAA commerative .45 Colt....don't do it.

Most "commeratives" are made in large numbers and have no value other than their intrinsic value so shooting them isn't a big deal but you have a real deal low number commeratives, don't ruin it!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I agree but look at it like this....how would you like to own an unfired 2nd Gen 1 of 1000 Colt SAA 50 years from now or 100 years from now? Imagine having such a gun being passed down through your family becoming more and more valuable with every generation.  There's no way I'd shoot that gun, if you get the urge please send it to me for safe keeping! Seriously, it's a 1-1000 2nd gen Colt SAA commerative .45 Colt....don't do it.

Most "commeratives" are made in large numbers and have no value other than their intrinsic value so shooting them isn't a big deal but you have a real deal low number commeratives, don't ruin it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With them coming in three different barrel lengths and two different calibers it's likely more like one of 250, I also think that's the configuration that collectors would want.

I wouldn't shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

With them coming in three different barrel lengths and two different calibers it's likely more like one of 250, I also think that's the configuration that collectors would want.

I wouldn't shoot it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't shoot it.

I have so far resisted the temptation and its still unfired  ----   what has saved it thus far is i have no desire to take a gun like this to an indoor range ---   The little defensive oriented  Smith 642 i bought on the same day has already had 3 boxes of .38's through it at an indoor range though (and it will take 3 more at least before i get used to a stiff DA only trigger pull in such a light gun) --

Guns like this need to be outdoors to be appreciated -----   but if i can delay gratification for a while longer, i can add either a New Frontier .45 or a Blackhawk to the mix and i likely wont have any temptation to fire it ever again  -- regardless of my affinity for Colts, i really want one of those Blackhawks with the removable 45 ACP cylinder , plus a Ruger is able to withstand occasional "big medicine" level handloads

---  i make it to an outdoor range so little these days  i still have 3 long guns procured over the winter that need to be sighted in
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I have owned a few Colt SAA's and a few more Rugers. The Rugers are tough as nails but there is no comparison to that colt lockwork. For a shooter that gets a lot of use I'll take a Ruger with adjustable sights. On the other hand a New Frontier
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have so far resisted the temptation and its still unfired  ----   what has saved it thus far is i have no desire to take a gun like this to an indoor range ---   The little defensive oriented  Smith 642 i bought on the same day has already had 3 boxes of .38's through it at an indoor range though (and it will take 3 more at least before i get used to a stiff DA only trigger pull in such a light gun) --

Guns like this need to be outdoors to be appreciated -----   but if i can delay gratification for a while longer, i can add either a New Frontier .45 or a Blackhawk to the mix and i likely wont have any temptation to fire it ever again  -- regardless of my affinity for Colts, i really want one of those Blackhawks with the removable 45 ACP cylinder , plus a Ruger is able to withstand occasional "big medicine" level handloads

---  i make it to an outdoor range so little these days  i still have 3 long guns procured over the winter that need to be sighted in
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't shoot it.

I got one of those Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .45Colt/.45acp's last year.....you should definitely buy one, they are accurate, super strong and awesome fun!  At first I was a little hesitant about the .45acp cylinder but it shoots great and way cheaper than using my .45 Colt up.  It's become one of my favorite SA's, and if I were able to hunt again it's what I would carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top