Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2014 5:13:18 PM EDT
I started thinking about the off brand revolvers. S&W, Colt, Ruger, and dsre I say Taurus are common mainstream brands in the rebolver market. But I wonder if anyone owns an off brand handgun.

Guns like the following.

Rock Island Armory Model 200

EAA's Windicator - Weihrauch Series

CzechPoint USA Alfa Proj Series

How is the quality of these guns? Worth a damn or a waste of time and money?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Range/plinking/taget toy?  Sure, go for it.

Betting mine and my family's lives on them as a primary home/self defense gun?  Um, probably not.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You literally have a controlled (hopefully) explosion occurring in your hands and near your face.........

I would have to see a lot of evidence that they are safe,,,,,,
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#3]
In that price range how about Charter Arms?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I remember Aimless buying one of those Windicators.....and reporting that it wasn't exactly.....very good.

But it might be better if he drops by and gives a firsthand account.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#5]
You would be far better off by saving a little extra and getting a S&W or a Ruger.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You would be far better off by saving a little extra and getting a S&W or a Ruger.

View Quote
Already have ton of Colts, S&Ws, and Rugers.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had a few off breed single actions, JP Sauer for one. Decent gun, but oddball enough that I got tired of it.  Then you find out you can't give the damn thing away.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#8]
CZ is bringing back Dan Wesson revolvers if you are looking for 'off' brand but not cheap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]

i'd do a little research -- if its a gun that is also used as a law enforcement weapon in other countries or something, its probably GTG  --- i'd buy a Charter Arms over an import if i was looking for a seriously low price point though
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Charter Arms are ugly and sloppy but they work.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Among the off brand revolvers, I prefer Korth, Manurhin, and Freedom Arms. RIA does make a pretty decent 1911 but their revolvers look a little crude. The Weihrauch centerfire revolvers are using too many cast parts, like the trigger and hammer to give a satisfactory performance and longevity.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Among the off brand revolvers, I prefer Korth, Manurhin, and Freedom Arms. RIA does make a pretty decent 1911 but their revolvers look a little crude. The Weihrauch centerfire revolvers are using too many cast parts, like the trigger and hammer to give a satisfactory performance and longevity.
View Quote

Korth, Manurhin, and Freedom Arms are not off brand in any way. I want a MR73 soooo bad. Along with a FN Barracudda.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:01:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Korth, Manurhin, and Freedom Arms are not off brand in any way. I want a MR73 soooo bad. Along with a FN Barracudda.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...well, they are probably top brands. The MR73 is a sweet revolver and I had the privilege to shoot a few 6" guns, among them one in .32 S&W long; a really outstanding match revolver! It is worth it to save up for one in good condition. Parts are very hard to find though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I own:

Charter Arms Bulldog Pug 44spl

Iver Johnson American Bulldog 32 S&W

Armscor M206 38spl

H&R 929 22 cal.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I purchased one of the Armscor 38's for my grandfather. I tested it out first and then we both put it through its paces and it worked 100%.

The finish is less than stellar (basic park), the sights are the most bare-bones basic you can imagine (non adjustable blade and groove style), and the action was a little gritty at first (it smoothed out as time went on) but it goes bang every time and has a repeatable point of impact. My only critique against it is the hard plastic grip it comes with... it is not comfortable on extended shooting sessions due to its ergos.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a Rossi .38 snubbie years ago that I'd bought second hand.  I was a good shooter and I never had any issues with it.  Eventually I sold it to a former co-worker who wanted something for her nightstand but didn't have much money.  I wouldn't have any issues carrying it loaded with some non +P rounds and in fact I did for a while.  

I've had a couple of Iver Johnson .22s, an Astra Constable, an older Star, an FM and a couple of others over the years too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I had really been thinking about getting a D frame Colt, but I really like big bores. The Charter Arms Bulldog looks real enticing. It's ugly as sin, but they seem to hold up well, save for fools shooting monster reloads through them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had really been thinking about getting a D frame Colt, but I really like big bores. The Charter Arms Bulldog looks real enticing. It's ugly as sin, but they seem to hold up well, save for fools shooting monster reloads through them.
View Quote

Got my Bulldog used back in the late 80s.  Never had an issue with it.  Had a Taurus 431 3" blued .44 SPL but not as smooth as the CA or graceful as my Smith 64/ 65 3" HBs.

CD
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Why why why?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why why why?
View Quote

Why not?  Not everyone buys guns with only self defense in mind.  I'll pick up odd stuff just to try it out if it's priced well.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I've seen a lot of off brand revolvers over the years.  A very few I would be afraid of but most are OK to excellent.

The problem with them mostly is the same as with "off brand" semi autos:  The lack of spare parts and accessories.

Even the excellent Dan Wesson revolvers never had the availability of parts, holsters, speedloaders and scope mount options the big boys have.

If you Iver Johnson breaks or you want to use it in a steel match, you have to buy another pistol.  The same scenario with your Ruger generally requires a on line visit to Midway.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Smith, Colt, Ruger.. Pass on everything else.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#24]
A good place to start looking is Bud's Gun Shop. They offer the opportunity to post reviews on their products. I've read the reviews of the Armscor/Rock Island 200 and it rates very, very good.

I've never understood why folks automatically assume any name brand firearm is better than an off brand. Case in point, a while back I bought a 3rd Generation Colt SA .44 Special, brand new in the box. There simply is no comparison between it and my current production Uberti's. The Colt has excessively heavy springs and when the hammer is thumbed back, the action feels gritty. I'd imagine this is because the Colt was made by hand, on machinery while the Uberti's and other current production revolvers are made primarily  on CNC machinery. These machines don't have bad days.

Several years back I bought a new guitar. It was a name brand, but current production is in Korea. The salesman, who is a guitarist, told me these relatively inexpensive instruments were of surprising quality because their mostly made on CNC machinery. He was dead right. I still play that guitar professionally and have had the opportunity to play guitars costing 4x, 5x, 6x or more over what mine cost that were more difficult to play and sound no better. And so it is with firearms.

There are inexpensive firearms that can be/are junk, and there are cheap ones that are good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd buy used VG condition before I'd drop a dime on some off brand revolver. It's not just that quality can be iffy, it's that if you ever decide to sell, you'll find a buyer for that name brand revolver while you'll end up giving away that off brand revolver just to get rid of it.

Seriously, I just recently bought a Colt .357 MkIII for A bit more then 4 bills. I KNOW I could sell it for more tomorrow if I decided to sell it and I KNOW it's going to work for a very long time without any issues.

Yeah you have to do some looking but there are literally millions of nice old Rugers, S&W's, and Colts out there looking for a good home.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Somewhere along the line I came into an RG .357mag revolver... 4" tube, looks like a Model 19 clone.
It is a giant hunk of shit. Timing is fucked up, internals appear to be made from bubblegum wrappers... tack driver in S/A.

I kinda want to sell it off, but I don't want to screw anyone over for the 50$ I'd be asking.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Inherited grandmas spesco .38. Never left her purse. Put a couple hundred through it with no issues.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've had a few off breed single actions, JP Sauer for one. Decent gun, but oddball enough that I got tired of it.  Then you find out you can't give the damn thing away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can give me that Jp sauer. I have three and love mine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine was a Herters, made by Sauer.  Like the Herters 401 Power Mag, but mine was a 357.  It's long gone.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
CZ is bringing back Dan Wesson revolvers if you are looking for 'off' brand but not cheap.
View Quote

They're not TOTALLY out of line, but I just checked, and it looks like they added an internal lock, and they're only available in 357. I'd like a nice 44 version.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one of them from before they closed the factory.  Scary accurate, even in my not-so-expert hands.  If they start making them again and the quality is still good I'll get another.

If you want a good "off brand" you can't do much better than a Korth.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I picked up a .357 JP Sauer revolver a few years back and it seems pretty nice to me. It is a copy of a Colt SAA and IIRC made back in the 60s when quick draw shooting was all the rage.
I like it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Mateba?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Mine was a Herters, made by Sauer.  Like the Herters 401 Power Mag, but mine was a 357.  It's long gone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to start reloading.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#35]
That looks like a good donation piece for a custom 10mm or .40 S&W build.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#36]
If you can find a Manurhin and like .357 you're set.  Parts can be an issue though they aren't known for going through them - actually they're really tough.  I have a MR73 with a PPC type barrel, I keep thinking of selling it off as I'd like to go to .44 Special/Magnum only for revolvers but it would be a pain to sell off (since most people don't know what they are) and I hate to give it away.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If you can find a Manurhin and like .357 you're set.  Parts can be an issue though they aren't known for going through them - actually they're really tough.  I have a MR73 with a PPC type barrel, I keep thinking of selling it off as I'd like to go to .44 Special/Magnum only for revolvers but it would be a pain to sell off (since most people don't know what they are) and I hate to give it away.
View Quote

You can give it to me... I know what it is and the GIGN loved it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top