Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2014 3:46:00 PM EDT
OK, so I've had this 4" stainless GP100 for like 15 years. Its been a great gun, built like a bank vault. Fun to shoot. The thing is, I carry Glocks and use one at work. I have a G21 (45) and a G22 (40) that I can carry in the woods which are plenty for any critter here in the south. 357 rounds are expensive as hell, and I wouldn't shoot enough to justify reloading gear. Sure, I can shoot 38 sp out of it, but why bother messing with that when I have glocks in 9, 40, and 45. So, this nice gun has been doing "just in case" duty for about 10 years in the tool box in my detached workshop, and getting maybe a box or 2 of ammo fired thru it every year. I may as well sell it or trade it for something useful and put something cheap that works in the toolbox, like the beat up 9mm helwan I got for free and really isn't worth anything. What sayeth the masses?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm with you. Sell it and get something you'll use.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You need a heavy gun. Maybe trade up to a 10mm Glock if that's your thing. 357 is dirt easy to reload though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm mainly a semi-auto person too, but I keep my GP100 for times when I just want to shoot a revolver.  It doesn't get much use, but if I sold it, I'd miss it at some point.  You might too.

Shooting and guns are also about fun...not just utility.  It pleases me to shoot a revolver on occasion, and I'd feel incomplete in my hobby if I didn't have one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If you get rid of it after while you'll miss it and get another or something similar.  It's not hurting anything to hang on to it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in FL and I've come full circle on this one. Early on, I figured a .357 Magnum could take care of all local critters. For some reason I thought cleaning 6 chambers plus a barrel was cumbersome, so I switched to carrying a .45ACP. The .45 is great, but where Black Bears, Gators, Tegus, Burmese Pythons and Nile Monitors are concerned, the .357 Magnum can do things that the .45ACP simply cannot. Especially in the case of Black Bears, the penetration of a hard cast lead .357 Magnum load cannot be matched by anything in .45ACP. Remember, out in the middle of nowhere, over-penetration shouldn't be a concern, but having enough penetration to get through thick hides definitely is!

I find a 3" .357 Mag to be the perfect hiking gun for me down here in the sunshine state. If anything, I would sell the 4" GP100 and replace it with a 3" wheel gun.

Been there, done that; wasted the money only to wind up back at square one.

HTH!

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Get rid of it,  and see how it goes.

I missed my big bore revolvers quite a bit after selling them for similar reasons. I ended up buying a .38 as a pocket carry last year.  Even that 1-7/8" barreled gun is shockingly accurate and easy enough to shoot and carry. That led me back to buying a couple large frame revolvers again. One is a fun range gun and occasional carry.  The other is a childhood dream gun and as practical as it is beautiful.

Revolver shooting is a very pure form of shooting. Most can shoot a wide range of ammunition. The discipline involved in shooting double action carries over to all other firearms. The intrinsic accuracy makes for confident shooting where only the shooter can be blamed.  They are also much more suited to longer range shooting than most any auto.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:39:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm mainly a semi-auto person too, but I keep my GP100 for times when I just want to shoot a revolver.  It doesn't get much use, but if I sold it, I'd miss it at some point.  You might too.

Shooting and guns are also about fun...not just utility.  It pleases me to shoot a revolver on occasion, and I'd feel incomplete in my hobby if I didn't have one.
View Quote

Yup, I miss my GP100. I have an SP101, but it's still not the same.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:22:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't sell it. Everyone needs a good high powered revolver.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep it. Tastes and needs run in cycles......sometimes large ones. I have sold guns that at the time seemed like a good idea only years later to regret it and buy another one (sometimes at a higher cost).

I would especially hold off on selling a GP100.

They are a fantastic gun with a fantastic design.

If you do decide on selling it, please shoot me an PM.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#10]
If its your only revolver, I wouldn't sell it.  If you have some others, then I'd get rid of it.

I'm currently that same assessment myself.  I've got a bunch of revolvers in the safe that I cant' remember the last time I actually shot them and I probably do need to thin the herd a bit to A) free up some space in the safe and B) free up some cash for projects I want to complete and more accessories and mags for the stuff I do actually use.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#11]
A 4-inch stainless adjustable-sighted .357 revolver (especially a hell-for-strong design like the GP-100) is the single most useful handgun in the world. It should be the last handgun you get rid of.
It is the one gun that can do everything all your other handguns do (perhaps not as well, but well enough), and it can do things each of them cannot.
Keep the GP-100.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#12]
No...if you don't want it. Get rid of it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#13]
my gp is not on the dump/sell list,  I vote Keep.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:17:22 AM EDT
[#14]
im in the market
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I say sell it...to me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Sell it and pick up a nice S&W revolver.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#17]
GPs are pretty common. If you sell it, you can always find another if you miss it. However, what can be more fun than a .357 ?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A 4-inch stainless adjustable-sighted .357 revolver (especially a hell-for-strong design like the GP-100) is the single most useful handgun in the world. It should be the last handgun you get rid of.
It is the one gun that can do everything all your other handguns do (perhaps not as well, but well enough), and it can do things each of them cannot.
Keep the GP-100.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:08:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I love my G21 and my S&W M&P40 but they sure aren't my choice for a trail gun when I have my GP100 to go instead.  Don't you guys have black bear in North Carolina? We don't have black bear in my part of Oklahoma but there's the occasional mountain lion or feral hog out there and black bear in the south part of the state.  The .45acp is my favorite man stopper but neither it nor the .40 are great choices as a trail caliber without going to Buffalo Bore/Double Tap type ammo and then it's more expensive than .357 magnum.  On top of that the .357 magnum is about THE perfect caliber for a trail gun in areas without brown bear.  I don't think the problem is that you don't use it often, it's that you aren't using the right gun for the right purpose.  Now if someone didn't have a .357mag and only had a .45acp or .40 I'd say go buy some Buffalo Bore/Double Tap style hard cast +P energy ammo and you'll be fine or buy a .357 magnum.  I can't imagine having a 4" GP100 on the shelf and choosing to carry a .45acp or .40S&W as a trail caliber, a 10mm maybe but not a .45acp or .40S&W.  Like I said, I own both those calibers and I LOVE my .45acp's but they aren't the best choice as a trail gun and I'll carry my GP100 instead full of .357 magnums.  It's not like you're going to shoot enough ammo to worry about the cost.  My sister loved shooting my 3" GP100 so much that I gave it to her when I bought my Wiley Clapp GP.  The recoil is nothing, my favorite gun to shoot is my S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum so the .357 is cake for me.

I'd say keep it and use it for a trail gun instead of your G21 .45acp and .40 like it should be and save the .45acp/.40S&W for two legged dangers.  You'll be much, much, much happier with that .357magnum on your belt when a black bear or a cougar or big gnarly hog decides to sample you for lunch.  If you just don't want to carry it on the trail/outdoors then sell it to someone who will use it and buy something you will use.  I rarely get out (medical issues) but I keep my GP100 .357 mag because it's what I'll be carrying should I get the opportunity.  Unless it's in brown bear country and then it will be my .44 magnum V-Comp.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#20]
30 min. ago i picked up a 3" GP100,to go with my SP101,from a local member here.
Fired 30 rounds. I like a fixed sight carry gun myself.

ETA: Keep it, you will miss it later,they are tanks.
You will never wear one out.Had a blued 4" back in the 90's,glad to get another one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#21]
IDK if I would sell it but when I sold my .45 I had a few people telling me that I would regret it, but I haven't. If you don't want it but are ambivelant, stuff it in the back of the safe and forget about it. If you need the money to fund another pruchase I'd say save up then buy. If you just do not want it and have no other ties to it then sell.

I reload for all of my weapons so once I buy I purchase dies and other accessories. If I sold I'd have to dump all of the related gear as well. My .45 I only had a set of dies which sold in less than a week.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Keep it. Tastes and needs run in cycles......sometimes large ones. I have sold guns that at the time seemed like a good idea only years later to regret it and buy another one (sometimes at a higher cost).

View Quote

Excellent point.  Never really thought about it in cycles but you are right. I will benefit from your experien$e.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love my G21 and my S&W M&P40 but they sure aren't my choice for a trail gun when I have my GP100 to go instead.  Don't you guys have black bear in North Carolina? We don't have black bear in my part of Oklahoma but there's the occasional mountain lion or feral hog out there and black bear in the south part of the state.  The .45acp is my favorite man stopper but neither it nor the .40 are great choices as a trail caliber without going to Buffalo Bore/Double Tap type ammo and then it's more expensive than .357 magnum.  On top of that the .357 magnum is about THE perfect caliber for a trail gun in areas without brown bear.  I don't think the problem is that you don't use it often, it's that you aren't using the right gun for the right purpose.  Now if someone didn't have a .357mag and only had a .45acp or .40 I'd say go buy some Buffalo Bore/Double Tap style hard cast +P energy ammo and you'll be fine or buy a .357 magnum.  I can't imagine having a 4" GP100 on the shelf and choosing to carry a .45acp or .40S&W as a trail caliber, a 10mm maybe but not a .45acp or .40S&W.  Like I said, I own both those calibers and I LOVE my .45acp's but they aren't the best choice as a trail gun and I'll carry my GP100 instead full of .357 magnums.  It's not like you're going to shoot enough ammo to worry about the cost.  My sister loved shooting my 3" GP100 so much that I gave it to her when I bought my Wiley Clapp GP.  The recoil is nothing, my favorite gun to shoot is my S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum so the .357 is cake for me.

I'd say keep it and use it for a trail gun instead of your G21 .45acp and .40 like it should be and save the .45acp/.40S&W for two legged dangers.  You'll be much, much, much happier with that .357magnum on your belt when a black bear or a cougar or big gnarly hog decides to sample you for lunch.  If you just don't want to carry it on the trail/outdoors then sell it to someone who will use it and buy something you will use.  I rarely get out (medical issues) but I keep my GP100 .357 mag because it's what I'll be carrying should I get the opportunity.  Unless it's in brown bear country and then it will be my .44 magnum V-Comp.
View Quote

Good advice and I totally hear what you are saying, but the 40 and 45 have been proven to be sufficient for both hogs and bear, and depending which one I'm carrying, I have 13-15 chances to get it right, with less recoil and less time between shots- plus, from a serpa holster with a glock, I'm pretty darn fast (not to toot my own horn). I carry a glock daily for work, so I'm pretty used to it . Also, should I have a fit of "revolver nostalgia" I also have a S&W model 17 (45 acp revolver)
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#24]
This
Quoted:
Don't sell it. Everyone needs a good high powered revolver.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I am kind of like the OP, most all my handguns are semi autos. I have kept a S&W M66-2 that I have had forever. I was about to get rid of it. I had already (stupid on my part), sold off a nice Security Six .357 that I bought new in the 80's. Now all the sudden, the revolver bug has bit me! I bought a lock model new 686 and have shot it alot. Now I am waiting on a new manufacture Redhawk in .44 Magnum. I will be feeding the Smith & Ruger handloads. I say keep it, but it is your gun to do whatever you want with.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I say keep it. I've got a WC GP100 and a few Smith's. The GP is just built to take a beating and honestly, call it blasphemy, but I'd probably let the smiths go before it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#27]
If you decide to let it go I would seriously consider buying it. Always loved a good revolver. Keep me on your list.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been there, sold my old 686 and just missed having a big revolver, especially for use as a hunting sidearm. I now have a Wiley Clap GP100 and it's staying.

I carry a 9mm, but when I want something that hits hard and I can't carry a rifle the .357 or even .38+P is hard to beat. And it's just a joy to shoot. Plus, I keep it for my wife since she's too stubborn and disinterested to learn to shoot a semi. I keep it loaded with .38 wad cutters for her when I'm not around. They will do the trick if she needs to empty the cylinder. And I put a magnum in the last chamber in case the first 5 don't stop the threat. Not that she knows that
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep the GP-100.

This.

Could not have said it better. I've sold mine before, then a few months later regretted the hell out of doing so and scrambled to replace it.

O.P. claims his auto pistols are enough for anything in the south, here are a few of the many exceptions from North Carolina:

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:21:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I say keep it.  IMHO, mastering a revolver double action trigger makes you a better shot with other platforms.  By practing regularly with your GP100, you will be a better shooter.  If you decide to sell, let me know who to send my FFL's information to.

Hinting pythons with a revolver would be a trip....I left Florida before they became a problem (Lutz Florida native, 1963-1982).
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Could not have said it better. I've sold mine before, then a few months later regretted the hell out of doing so and scrambled to replace it.

O.P. claims his auto pistols are enough for anything in the south, here are a few of the many exceptions from North Carolina: I'll see your 30-30 with my OWN 30-30 and raise you 13 rounds of 45 ACP

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/pics/p1325713239.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0r_ew8ARdvw/TwJmJKU6hdI/AAAAAAAAG_Q/3xGQs6AoNH4/s1600/a1.jpg

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/pics/p1322600484.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep the GP-100.

This.

O.P. claims his auto pistols are enough for anything in the south, here are a few of the many exceptions from North Carolina: I'll see your 30-30 with my OWN 30-30 and raise you 13 rounds of 45 ACP

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0r_ew8ARdvw/TwJmJKU6hdI/AAAAAAAAG_Q/3xGQs6AoNH4/s1600/a1.jpg

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll see your 30-30 with my OWN 30-30 and raise you 13 rounds of 45 ACP
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep the GP-100.

This.

O.P. claims his auto pistols are enough for anything in the south, here are a few of the many exceptions from North Carolina:

I'll see your 30-30 with my OWN 30-30 and raise you 13 rounds of 45 ACP

I believe that's what you meant to post, although I'm not completely sure the meaning.

Nothing wrong with a .30-30, even on bear. Nothing wrong with a .45 ACP, but it's completely inadequate for big bears. The point is that a hot loaded magnum revolver gives you "rifle-like" power at close range and frees you up from carrying a heavy/bulky rifle to defend yourself with. If you don't feel you need that sort of firepower, so be it. Don't try to convince the rest of us though that the need doesn't exist. I know better.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#33]
If it's the only wheel gun you have the only way I would let it go would be in order to pick up an N Frame.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd keep it. It's your only revolver, it's well built, it can shoot two different calibers without changing barrels or magazines,it doesn't require a magazine to function properly, it can be loaded and unloaded without worry of bullet set back and it's a great gun to teach someone on.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I would like to mention something I never see much of on any of the gun forums.  I love my autos, I have 5 Glocks and a Sig P239.
However, with regard to "trail" type situations, you cannot beat a revolver.  In any situation where there might be physical contact,
autos can easily become single shot weapons.  The contact can easily stop the slide movement but not a rotating cylinder.
This may even be more important for women who can be accosted in parking lots and etc.

Mr Mac
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#36]
keep it,  In my younger years I "dumped" a colt gold cup series 70, a ruger 1976 anniversary model single 6 with .22 mag cylender, 3 ruger  stainless .357's in 2",4", 6".  a 30 cal carbine, a browning auto 5  I could go on but you get the point, I have kick myself in the behind for 30 years over the COLT,   Keep It, don't make the mistakes I did.
mac
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Hell no, don't get rid of it. I love my semi's too, but my most of them all out at 50 struggle at 75 while my GP100 4" make's it too easy. It makes for a great hiking/camp gun and unless you're shooting 10mm or .45 Super, then you'd be making a mistake.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top