Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 9:39:00 PM EDT

I inherited an Old Model 7.5" .44mag Super Blackhawk from my father after I lost him. I remember him buying it around '70 or '71 when I was about 12. He took it out a few times but never really shot it much. He never sent it in to Ruger for their transfer bar update. From what I remember Ruger also changed the trigger guard, so it still has the original (Dragoon?).
I shot it a couple of years ago, mainly just to take it out of the safe. A friend had given me some ammo- I think it was Buffalo Bore, with 300gr bullets. I was planning on using it as a backup on a pig hunting trip I never took.
I fired a few rounds to zero the sights then moved to a fresh target. I managed to cloverleaf 3 rounds dead center at 50 yards, so I quit. I didn't want to screw up a group like that.
I was shooting slowly and used 2 hands. I usually shoot a 1911 and the SBH felt very different in my hands.
I ended up wrapping my right hand further around the grip than I do on my 1911 just to stop the trigger guard from busting the knuckle on my right hand.
I am not as familiar with single action revolvers as I am with a 1911 or one of my Ruger MkII .22s. Exactly how am I supposed to grip it properly? I must have been close to shoot that group, but 50 yards is pretty close. If I am going to try it at 100 yards or more I need my grip as close to perfect as I can get it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Clover leaf at 50 yards, you can't get more perfect than that.    I've been shooting them for 35 years and I can't do that. Don't mess with success.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:26:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clover leaf at 50 yards, you can't get more perfect than that.    I've been shooting them for 35 years and I can't do that. Don't mess with success.
View Quote

No shit ---    good shootin' -- and  yes , 50 yards is a significant distance for an iron sighted pistol to shoot well

Do it again a few times , -- make sure it  is repeatable and that your not falling into the "3 shot group" curse
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top