Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 2:07:46 PM EDT
ive been an auto shooter ever since ive been into guns.

I shot with a buddy a couple months ago and got to shoot his 6" python in .357 and ive had an itch for a revolver ever since.

i love how they recoil and that I already have reloading powders that should work good for .38/.357

now down to the nitty gritty, I dont want to dump alot of cash but I was something fun to play with, that I might take a walk in the woods with but 80% of the time its going to be a fun range toy that blows stuff up and lets me pretend to be jerry miculek

I had been looking at a GP100 but couldnt decide between a 4" or 6" or stainless vs blued. now ive noticed some used smith 686's are the same price as the GP100

but i have no idea what to look for in a used revolver, I wouldnt mind a used one as I wouldnt be afraid to tinker on it and find out how it works.

advice on what to look for and what barrel length I will enjoy the most?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Four inch if you think you might carry it.  Six inch if you want the maximum accuracy potential, tho it real terms there typically isn't that much difference.

I buy almost all of my guns used.  In revolvers look for the usual signs of wear and tear; finish, tight lock up, obvious signs of damage or abuse.  Lock up in the hard one for new shooters to figure out.  Cycle the gun several times, both double and single action.  How much rotational and fore and aft movement does the cylinder have?  With the exception of the old Colt DA lockwork there will always be a slight amount of movement.  How much is too much gets very subjective.  As a rule most used revolvers seem not to have been shot much and don't generally have any problems.  The one exception is K frame Smiths that have had a lot of magnum ammo run through them.  I seen a number of 19/66 models that were clearly shot loose.  On a GP100 this would be almost unheard of.  Those were built for magnum ammo; overbuilt actually.  They are absolute tanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
thats what ive read about the GP100, that they were over engineered and essentially bomb proof.

i like the idea of that, but then i hear smith people talk about how good smith triggers are and how rugers are a little rough. then ruger guys say the triggers are great.

is there much difference in muzzle climb between the 4 inch and 6 inch?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a ruger gp100 and i love it.  Its 6 in Stainless. IMHO Not a  carry gun by any means unless your wanting to attract unnecessary attention. Anyways, it is an accurate gun that i haven't had any problems with.  I also own a SW mod 29-3, and 442-2 just so you know im not a ruger fan boy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thats what ive read about the GP100, that they were over engineered and essentially bomb proof.

i like the idea of that, but then i hear smith people talk about how good smith triggers are and how rugers are a little rough. then ruger guys say the triggers are great.

is there much difference in muzzle climb between the 4 inch and 6 inch?
View Quote

Not that I've noticed. If you're like most revolver shooters you'll run a lot more 38 special than 357 mag.   The six inch will give you a longer sight radius and a little more weight.  Depending on barrel style it may only be a couple of ounces.   In real world terms most shooters won't notice a difference in accuracy.   As far as the trigger, try them on for size.  Both can be good, both have put out less than stellar products in the past.  Both can be tuned without too much difficulty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top