Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2014 2:23:28 AM EDT
I have a old colt revolver i dont know much about it accept it was my great grandfathers duty gun "he was a cop in the 50sand60s" its a 357 has holster wear but is in great shape not pits locks up tight. i was wondering its value. i was thinking id get it reblued. i know its not the original grips and i dont plan on selling it but whats it worth. I think its a tropper pre mkiii. but not sure.
http://i57.tinypic.com/2mpzwit.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/263x4wj.jpg
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#1]
It looks like a Colt Lawman. Can't be 100% sure.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Think your right.Don't Troopers have a cylinder pin shroud
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#3]
the mkiii do but. but from what i fount there was a tropper before the mkiii and it looked a lot like this. i couldn't find any lawman in 357 that had an adj back sight and a target hammer but iam not good with colt wheel guns
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't re-blue it.  I mean think about it.  It's your Great Granddad's Duty Gun.  All that wear is character.  Imagine if that gun could talk!  Best part is, you can freely shoot and/or carry it.

I don't know Colts either, so no help on ID'in it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
found this on google but mine doesn't say trooper like this one just 357
http://gunsforsalegun.com/wp-content/uploads/colt-trooper-357-magnum-4-1964-pre-mkiii-357-2.jpg
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Didn't we just do this. This is 6" version with original grips. Think my dad bought it in the late '60s, 38k s/n range. Its a Trooper but I don't know what generation of the Trooper line it would be. And they are right, don't reblue it. Leave it as is and maybe try to find some original grips.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#7]
i did not know that was a trooper. dose it say it on the barrel
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i did not know that was a trooper. dose it say it on the barrel
View Quote

Trooper 357 on the left side of barrel
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
In 1953-54 Colt introduced two new revolvers.
One was the Trooper, the other was the Colt 357 Model.

The Trooper was offered in .22LR and .38 Special.  It was available in blue or nickel, 4" or 6" barrel and the customers choice of any combination of the Colt Target grips, Target hammer, Service grips and Service hammer.
The Trooper was Colt's last "E" frame revolver which had the firing pin mounted on the hammer.

The 357 was both the caliber and model name.
It looks exactly like the Trooper except for the name stamped on the barrel.
It was available in blue with a few in bright nickel late in production, and with 4" or 6" barrel.
Like the Trooper it could be had with the customers choice of any combination of hammer and grips.
The 357 was Colt's first "I" frame revolver which had the firing pin mounted inside the frame.
The same "I" frame was used to build the super premium Colt Python.
The 357 was Colt's premium holster revolver, with the Trooper intended for less expensive police sales.

Since most people wanting a cheaper gun were buying the Trooper, and those wanting the best buying the Python, in 1961 Colt discontinued the 357 after about 15,000 were made.

In 1961 Colt started building the Trooper on the "I" frame and discontinued the .22LR version.  After that the Trooper was available in .38 Special or .357 Magnum.

In 1969 Colt discontinued most "E & I" frame revolvers, keeping only the Python in the line.
They introduced a new Trooper Mark III series which was a totally different design using a transfer bar safety/ignition system.
In the early 1980's Colt did an upgrade and made the Colt Trooper Mark V for several years.
Finally in the mid-1980's Colt changed the barrel to a full lug type and made it in stainless steel as the Colt King Cobra.

So, you have the "original" Trooper in .22LR and .38 Special, the post-1961 "I" frame original Trooper in .38 Special and .357, and the 357 Model as made from 1953 to 1961.

As above, the 357 Model was to have been Colt's premium quality holster revolver.  It was better finished and tuned then the original Trooper.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]
thats it thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:41:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I wouldn't re-blue it.  I mean think about it.  It's your Great Granddad's Duty Gun.  All that wear is character.  Imagine if that gun could talk!  Best part is, you can freely shoot and/or carry it.

I don't know Colts either, so no help on ID'in it.
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It looks close , but a Lawman doesnt have a rear sight like that -- i tink its as original 357 -- (thats all they called them - Colt 357 MAgnum -- pre Python and pre Lawman too )

As an aside, this Lawman (i had it parkerized 17 years ago) is one of my favorite knock around guns---  but were i to do it again, i would have left it in original blue

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The Lawman was part of the new Colt Mark III series.
That series included the Trooper Mark III, Lawman Mark III, Metropolitan Police Mark III, Official Police Mark III, and 496 Officer's Model Match Mark III's.

The Lawman was offered in 4 inch or 2 inch.  The early 2 inch had an exposed ejector rod.  The later production changed to a heavy shrouded barrel that was a copy of the later model Detective Special. This made the later Lawman 2 inch look like a giant Detective Special.

The Mark V series was limited to the Lawman Mark V and the Trooper Mark V, and the flat black unpolished Peacekeeper made during the Colt strike when they didn't have enough people to do the high grade polishing on most models.
The Lawman Mark V was available with a 4 inch barrel with exposed ejector rod, or the 2 inch version with the heavy shrouded barrel.

The Mark III and Mark V have totally different actions then the older per-1969 Colt's and have absolutely nothing in common with the older models.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#14]
If you are set on getting it blued, please send it to Colt.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice older Colt.  Just shoot it.  You are lucky.  No refinish is necessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top