Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2014 5:23:46 PM EDT
Who are some of the best custom revolver makers?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Red Jacket
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Hamilton Bowen

Without a doubt Hamilton Bowen is one of the best custom revolver gunsmiths. He does some amazing work on both double and single action including full blown caliber changes
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hamilton Bowen

Without a doubt Hamilton Bowen is one of the best custom revolver gunsmiths. He does some amazing work on both double and single action including full blown caliber changes
View Quote
Best by far.

Gary Reeder does some nice work also.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used Karl Sokol at Chestnut Mountain several times.

If you are building a fighting gun he does great work on Smith and Wesson revolvers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Best by far.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hamilton Bowen

Best by far.

Hamilton did a caliber conversion for me. It looks like it came that way right from Ruger. Even the new caliber markings. Highly recommend his work.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know what Bowen would charge to convert a Smith Model 58 to 44 Mag?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's no shortage of people out there who would love to take a .41 Mag off your hands   --- why dont you sell it and buy what you want
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I just looked through Bowen's website and he make some absolutely beautiful revolvers.  Does anyone know what his turnaround time is like?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:14:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bowen Classic Arms
I just checked the website. A S&W simple caliber conversion lists for $995.00.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just looked through Bowen's website and he make some absolutely beautiful revolvers.  Does anyone know what his turnaround time is like?
View Quote

I had a caliber conversion done on a Ruger flat top about maybe 8 years ago and it took just a few weeks.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There's no shortage of people out there who would love to take a .41 Mag off your hands   --- why dont you sell it and buy what you want
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because S&W never made what I want.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a 5" 29-2 done up by SDM Fabricating. It came out perfect.

Personally I think Gary Reeder's guns are tacky with their lame  laser etchings and cheesy names.

Bowen, Jim Stroh, Andy Horvath, Clements all do excellent work as well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would make for a nice conversion.   The cylinder can be rechambered.  The barrel could be rebored.   I would change the front sight to a dovetail.   This will allow windage adjustment.   I would call around to get prices.  I like fixed sight N frames.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That would make for a nice conversion.   The cylinder can be rechambered.  The barrel could be rebored.   I would change the front sight to a dovetail.   This will allow windage adjustment.   I would call around to get prices.  I like fixed sight N frames.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I'm thinking..........I have a soft spot for fixed sighted revolvers. After seeing the price above, I'm gonna have to hold off tho....
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]
What are you looking to have done to it that S&W didn't offer?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want a fixed sighted 44mag or 45LC in the 58 configuration. Dovetail front sight. Sort of a big brother to this 581 I modified.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#19]
That 581 is a fine piece of work.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I want a fixed sighted 44mag or 45LC in the 58 configuration. Dovetail front sight. Sort of a big brother to this 581 I modified.
<a href="http://s311.photobucket.com/user/Tonecod/media/sw581001_zpsfa68c4b8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk462/Tonecod/sw581001_zpsfa68c4b8.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s311.photobucket.com/user/Tonecod/media/sw581001_zpsfa68c4b8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk462/Tonecod/sw581001_zpsfa68c4b8.jpg</a>

Now I see. Nice iron you got there
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Superior Firearms and Gemini Custom have put out some awesome wheelguns.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#22]
As already mentioned here, contact Karl Sokol at Chestnut Mountain Sports. I would put his work up against anyone else out there, and his work has been compared to the big names in magazine articles. You will also find his work to be much more affordable since he is a one-man shop, has little overhead, and doesn't spend tens of thousands of dollars each year on advertising.

I had a Bowen Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and another built by Jim Gallagher. Both were beautiful guns which I got in trade. I don't know what the original owners paid for the work, but I do know Karl could have done the same work and I'm sure it would have cost them less money.

Since he is a one man shop, email is the best way to contact him. He doesn't have time during the day to answer the phone and stop work on customers' guns.

Here is a recent post about my latest Sokol project. There's also a pic of a few other projects farther down the thread.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#23]
There are several custom six gun companies, cylinder and slide does a nice job, but my absolute favorite for custom guns, without a ridiculous (Linebaugh) price tag, is Gary Reeder Gunsmiths.  They now have several in stock, which is very rare.  I have a custom .45 SA, and their BMF .500 S&W, which is on their own frame:

Gary Reeder Gunsmiths

Reeder Custom Guns In Stock Page

I'm not knocking Linebaughs products, his work is INCREDIBLE, but out of reach for most of us.  Check out the Reeders, you will be exceptionally happy with their products.

Pat
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top