Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2014 9:58:47 AM EDT
So a 2.5" 19-4 P&R with box, original grips, and cleaning rod in amazing condition (very light cylinder rings) has graced my collection. It had some hammer follow so I sent it into smith for a fix. Now that it's back, I'm perplexed on it's value as a collector vs shooter. I'm not a safe queen owner by any means, but is this something that I should preserve?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it.  They're not that rare.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Shoot it. They're not that rare.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking until some Smith nuts told me I was crazy. . .
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a Smith nut.  I collect Model Tens.  I still say shoot it.  It's a tool, not a religious icon.  A lot of folks are getting goofy about pinned and recessed Smiths.  There's hundreds of thousands of them in existence.  Probably millions.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm a Smith nut. I collect Model Tens. I still say shoot it. It's a tool, not a religious icon. A lot of folks are getting goofy about pinned and recessed Smiths. There's hundreds of thousands of them in existence. Probably millions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a Smith nut. I collect Model Tens. I still say shoot it. It's a tool, not a religious icon. A lot of folks are getting goofy about pinned and recessed Smiths. There's hundreds of thousands of them in existence. Probably millions.

That's good to know- I was wondering why it was considered "too valuable to shoot" when blue book didn't specify the value of 19-4s as being all that high.

I don't plan on carrying it. My wife has a 66-? in 3" that's her woods gun, but those are apparently rare. . .
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Where S&W's get crazy is rare models and anything in the 99% to 100% condition area. Yours looks good but I would rate it around 95%. Shoot it, clean it, take care of it, repeat as necessary for personal enjoyment.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice folks!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#7]
you have a cylinder line.. shoot it. Like others said.. if it was NIB with no line and 99-100% i would say keep it as an investment. But with the cylinder line - shoot away. Of course i wouldn't bang it around.. or make it a truck gun /ccw - but it won't hurt an occasional range season.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I started carrying handguns in the 80` and S&W K&L fames were easy to find and didn't cost that much.

I sold off all my S&W K and L frames off in 2003. I just  didn't shoot them very much as my service pistols.  And if I wanted a M13 or M19 I could just buy another one. Right

Now I regret  selling f them .

I had no idea that S&W would stop making them.  mainly a 3inch K frame!!

I still think that 80% of CCW permit holders would be better off with a 3inch K frame using 38spl+P for SD

OP nice snub I would love to get rid of the spur and AIWB carry
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
you have a cylinder line.. shoot it. Like others said.. if it was NIB with no line and 99-100% i would say keep it as an investment. But with the cylinder line - shoot away. Of course i wouldn't bang it around.. or make it a truck gun /ccw - but it won't hurt an occasional range season.
View Quote

cylinder line

Ive had NIB blue revolvers  that had the line.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I started carrying handguns in the 80` and S&W K&L fames were easy to find and didn't cost that much.

I sold off all my S&W K and L frames off in 2003. I just didn't shoot them very much as my service pistols. And if I wanted a M13 or M19 I could just buy another one. Right

Now I regret selling f them .

I had no idea that S&W would stop making them. mainly a 3inch K frame!!

I still think that 80% of CCW permit holders would be better off with a 3inch K frame using 38spl+P for SD

OP nice snub I would love to get rid of the spur and AIWB carry
View Quote
I had a buddy that carried a 2 1/2 66 before AIWB had a name! Handy setup!

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do NOT use 110gr .357mag loads in the 19!  

125gr or larger are ok, .38spl loads are better & .38spl WC loads are best. These guns can (and do) produce some amazing accuracy with their shorter bbls IF the right loads are used & the shooter does their part.

My .o2
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a nice looking 19.  If it were mine I'd shoot it occasionally, no hot loads, and keep it cleaned up like it is now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#13]
it is yours you paid for it don't abuse it but shoot it  yes shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]
You can use it, but if you want to preserve it's value, while still enjoying it, i'd keep it out of holsters, and use it for a HD or range gun.  Use different grips, to preserve the checkering on the originals, which aren't that comfortable anyway.
People are more likely to pay less for rust, or holster wear, which your's won't have if you take care of it.  
Once it's been shot a few times, there isn't going to be much difference cosmetically in the gun between 50rnds. shot
and 500.
Besides the condition, yours has the recessed cylinders and pinned barrel, and box, that collectors want in these models.
If you're made of money, you can always look for another, in lesser condition, and shoot the heck out of it, and shoot this one occasionally.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You can use it, but if you want to preserve it's value, while still enjoying it, i'd keep it out of holsters, and use it for a HD or range gun. Use different grips, to preserve the checkering on the originals, which aren't that comfortable anyway.

People are more likely to pay less for rust, or holster wear, which your's won't have if you take care of it.

Once it's been shot a few times, there isn't going to be much difference cosmetically in the gun between 50rnds. shot

and 500.

Besides the condition, yours has the recessed cylinders and pinned barrel, and box, that collectors want in these models.

If you're made of money, you can always look for another, in lesser condition, and shoot the heck out of it, and shoot this one occasionally.
View Quote

Thanks for the tips folks! I have plenty of other options for carry/high round count shooting, so this will get light exercise only.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

125gr or larger are ok, .38spl loads are better & .38spl WC loads are best. These guns can (and do) produce some amazing accuracy with their shorter bbls IF the right loads are used & the shooter does their part.

My .o2
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My .o2

Yeah, no worries on that! It's only going to see 38 special loads and maybe a lower power mag loads on very rare occasion.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#17]
She is a beauty.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:49:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Take it out and shoot it!

If you want to increase the longevity, shot milder loads.

I have a very similar 19.  It is the -3 version.

Install an Ahrends(Or Spegel) retro combat grip on that puppy and it will be more comfortable at the range and also it increases the beauty of this fine pistol.

Keep in mind there is a waiting period for Ahrends.  I waited 4 months for mine.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 2.5" Model 19-3.  I shoot it whenever I feel like it. I would suggest that you do the same. Besides, if you save it in its pristine condition until you die, some owner down the line is going to go out and enjoy it, when you never did....
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I put pictures up of a revolver I recently purchased locally for $800 on a S&W forum, and have been offered from 1000 to 2500 dollars (the average selling price usually somewhere in between). I bought it to shoot and enjoy and will continue to do so.

Like others said, unless it's NIB with the box, papers, and tools, it's a shooter in my book.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I put pictures up of a revolver I recently purchased locally for $800 on a S&W forum, and have been offered from 1000 to 2500 dollars (the average selling price usually somewhere in between). I bought it to shoot and enjoy and will continue to do so.

Like others said, unless it's NIB with the box, papers, and tools, it's a shooter in my book.
View Quote

Well I'm going to shoot it :) Need to snag some grips for it though. While I'm looking I'll need to get a set for a square but too. My wife bought herself a 66 no dash with original stainless rear sight that's been used and needs new grips as well- the aweful aftermarkets look like shaped dog doo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Ahrends seem to be very popular right now. They look good, are well made, and are reasonably priced. There's always sets on Ebay,  or it's a few months to order direct. Ebay Ahrends K Frame Square Butt Grips

There's various styles and eras of S&W target grips as well, and they're a good option if you have larger hands.  Some careful looking can get a good set at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#24]
That is my all time favorite gun, Ive had 2.5" and 3" model 66 but no 19 good find.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top