Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 4:46:05 PM EDT
I'm about to buy a 642 and just have a few quick questions.

Is the "+p" model an absolute necessary? Here is specifically what I'm about to purchase and from this vendor as well.

http://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-wesson-model-642-airweight-38-special-p-revolver-18-barrel-5-round-matte-silver-28338

Is this a good price, or can I shop around for better?

Recommendations for a pocket holster? Also can someone recommend nice wood grips or stag? The rubber looks terrible.

Thanks guys. This will be a first revolver.Mainly getting as a BUG.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I think all currently produced S&W 38 revolvers are +P rated. I have carried in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster for years now. You could check out Gunbroker to see what the going price should be. Eagle grips make wood grips for J frame Smiths. There are many other good grip makers also.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
$400 is a fair price for a 642. I like the cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster or the Mica holster. The stock grips are not great, but you should look for rubber boot grips for it. It makes hanging on to it much easier. Crimson Trace makes a laser boot grip that is really nice.

All new J-frames are +P
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Just sold my 642, you will need a Wolf spring kit for it. Also be aware it is a little beast and hurt me shooting it, which is the reason I sold it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my Desantis pocket holster.  

I'm using the stock grips now, but I'm thinking about upgrading to something thinner.

The EFF aluminum grips look like they would carry well, but probably not be fun on the range.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just sold my 642, you will need a Wolf spring kit for it. Also be aware it is a little beast and hurt me shooting it, which is the reason I sold it.
View Quote

All subjective, IMO.

Spring kits aren't necessary, IMO. Recoil depends on the loads used & the shooter's experience with it. A great deal also depends on the grips used, IMO.

OP: look at the Hogue grips web site. I like the rosewood finger groove grips on all my revolvers.

My .o2
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
They're all +P.

I'm a fan of the Desantis Nemesis for a pocket holster.

And, one of the great things about J frames is there are a TON of grips out there.
Personally I have an old set of Uncle Mikes and a Crimson Trace LG-105 boot grip.
If I were looking to replace either, VZ Grips would be on my short list - fair to note, I'm not a big fan of wood grips.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]
All 642/442 series +P.

Fantastic BUG/pocket guns. $400 is a solid price on a NIB  642/442 series. Get yourself some nice leather and you good to go.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:24:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All 642/442 series +P.
View Quote

Not true, sir. S&W states all J-frames have to be a "dash" model in order to be +P rated. IOW, a "-1", "-2", etc.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not true, sir. S&W states all J-frames have to be a "dash" model in order to be +P rated. IOW, a "-1", "-2", etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All 642/442 series +P.

not 100% right for example the model 60 is not +p rated until the-6
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All 642/442 series +P.

Have a model 38-2 in the safe that isn't +p rated as well... read your frame/barrel and research before running +p.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All 642/442 series +P.

You are correct. The no dash 642/442 series is NOT +P rated. Thanks for the catch. The 642/442-1 and 642/442-2 is +P rated.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Just bought a 642 from Buds Gun Shop. $405 shipped. Swapped out the hammer and rebound springs for Wolff lightened ones. Pull is slightly less harsh but I really don't notice much of a difference. The VZ grips look good, but I wanna hold some before buying. The heat drove me to a J-frame. The Glock got to be too much of a pain to conceal anymore, the Smith just disappears.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All 642/442 series +P.

I thought it was the -7 that was rated +p.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:03:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All 642/442 series +P.

I have a no dash model 60, and I'd feel comfortable carrying +p ammo in it. It's a solid stainless steel little gun. I would definitely not run them through as a matter of course, but I'd carry it that way, if it was a primary carry gun.

ETA there's many a thread on the smith and wesson forum about running +p through j-frames that S&W says are not rated for them, and the consensus there is that S&W is full of it, and J-Frames of any vintage are perfectly fine with +p ammo.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#15]
All that I have to add is that the Nemesis is a great pocket holster, and you better crimp your reloads with this bugger.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Kramer makes a very nice leather pocket holster for a J frame. They aren't wood, but check out the Ergo Delta grips. They look fugly,but they are very functional.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:41:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Probably the best load for the 2 inchers is the Buffalo Bore standard pressure 158 gr LSWCHPGC.   It will still kick a little in a lightweight 38 5 shot.  Even with factory wadcutters it is a handfull.  I personally dont like pocket holsters and would use a good IWB with that revolver.   Plenty of good grips out there.   I used to carry a M38 as a bug and replaced the grips with smaller ones, the older guns had shorter grips and were thinner.   Wanted it as small as possible.  Shoot the revolver first.  You might want to keep the rubber grips due to recoil.  I used 110 gr JHP loads in the M38 as that was what we were issued.   Now, I would get the Buffalo Bore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top