Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 7:25:11 PM EDT
I am a archery hunter and I carry a M1911 (460 Rowland) with a tac-light mounted on it; works great never had to use it.

But my brother's kid (also archery hunter) had the local mountain lion spring-up out of the creek and charge him. Luckily it ran passed him (as he was on his way to go get a gun) to go get its cub. Damn thing seems to count the arrows, also waited till he shot the last one.
That needs to come to a SCREECHING STOP.

Any one have any experience mounting a Tac-light like a Surefire on a wheel gun? Would need cord with touch pad I would think due to the cylinder gap.

Any one KO a surefire with a heavy recoiling hand cannon?

Info on a gunsmith in the Colorado area that would profile a barrel with a pic rail on the bottom?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am a archery hunter and I carry a M1911 (460 Rowland) with a tac-light mounted on it; works great never had to use it.

But my brother's kid (also archery hunter) had the local mountain lion spring-up out of the creek and charge him. Luckily it ran passed him (as he was on his way to go get a gun) to go get its cub. Damn thing seems to count the arrows, also waited till he shot the last one.

Any one have any experience mounting a Tac-light like a Surefire on a wheel gun? Would need cord with touch pad I would think due to the cylinder gap.

Info on a gunsmith in the Colorado area that would profile a barrel with a pic rail on the bottom?
View Quote

The S&W M&P R8 .357 magnum has a rail under the barrel but it's the only revolver I've ever seen with a way to mount a light.  There are probably some gunsmiths out there who would build one for you but I expect it would be pretty pricey.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the R8 / TRR8.  Rails top and bottom for a light and a scope, heavy-hitting .357 for your kitty.  After you buy a quality 357 and then pay a gunsmith to drill, tap, and attach a rail to the bottom of any other revolver, you are probably equal or higher the cost of the R8 new.

I'm sure there's someone willing to do it, but I personally cringe at the thought of drilling and tapping into a revolver barrel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The S&W M&P R8 .357 magnum has a rail under the barrel but it's the only revolver I've ever seen with a way to mount a light.  There are probably some gunsmiths out there who would build one for you but I expect it would be pretty pricey.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Smith also does/did a thunder ranch .45 ACP revolver.  Longer barrel Chiappa rhinos, also.

Not gonna be cheap, by any stretch.  Could've sworn I've seen pictures of German police units with a type of revolver grip that allowed a tac light on the bottom of the grip, though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Already have a pistol that I don't have a real use for. So buying a new one is out.  

BTW; Surefire's DG switch/cables are not flexible and void warranty if you bent/change them.  
Streamlight looks like the way.

The grip light will not fit; thanks though
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:32:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I would suggest a handheld and practice the Harries technique with the revolver.  
Michael Harries Light Technique
Otherwise Is selling the "unused" pistol an option then buy another 1911 and put a light on that?  

Quoted:
Already have a pistol that I don't have a real use for. So buying a new one is out.  

BTW; Surefire's DG switch/cables are not flexible and void warranty if you bent/change them.  
Streamlight looks like the way.

The grip light will not fit; thanks though
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I get that it would be beneficial to have a light, but if you are hunting, you shouldn't need a wml setup. Run the wheelgun with a decent headlamp, which you should have for dressing game at dusk. The other option would be to use the rifle style pressure pad with the longer cable. Secure the cable out of the way with small zipties on the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate panthers we have them here to in SWF. They scare me more than the bears crocks gators.

Does it have to be a revolver?

Also you might teach the kid on how to use a flashlight while using a hadgun.

I like neck index  and FBI myself.
That way I have options and can reload my pistol even though I have a TLR-1 mounted on it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#9]
The big problem with the flash light techniques is that it requires two hands.  The vast majority off archery hunters use a "wrist loop" (I don't most do). Yes; it is as bad as it sounds; you have tried the bow to your left hand.

So kid is used to revolvers. This thing needs to be self contained and one handed use, and powerful caliber for deep penetration, prefer caliber that can be purchased at Walmart.

The best part about a Tac-light is the deterrence aspect. It freezes people; hopefully it would work on a cat if only for a fraction of a second.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#10]
While not an elegant solution, it requires no gunsmithing or modifications to the firearm itself.

http://www.railtac.com/

While I've never purchased from them, I did modify an extra piece of Aluminum Picatinny rail and used 3M double-stick to attach to my 1911 to test the concept. I did not fire it extensively, but with a TLR-1 I ran about 50 rounds through and it held up solid. Holstering was an issue, so the experiment didn't last much longer than one range session. Still, I was surprised how well it worked and makes a cheap and effective modification for a bedside pistol.

I can't say how well it would work for OP's situation. Like has been said, the light's operation isn't as easy as with on a semi-auto. On top of that, the gun is intended to be carried while hunting, so holsters would be a significant issue. With an adhesive rail attachment, I don't know if I'd trust the tension on a custom Kydex holster not to rip it off over time. I don't know who makes a decent adjustable holster (soft nylon that can be expanded to various size pistols and/or attachments) other than Condor, which doesn't have the best reputation.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I like wheel guns but why not just get a 10mm Glock . I know .
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like wheel guns but why not just get a 10mm Glock . I know .
View Quote

Thats my choice for kitty cat country as well
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:49:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Another suggestion would to get a set of CT laser grips for the revolver.   Smith also makes a 629 and two models of the .460 S&W with a lower rail in the Performance Series.

CD
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if anyone in that performance shop thought about how the shooter was going to activate that light in a hurry?

Or are you suppose to wear that real long gantlet glove?

Any other suggestions...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:50:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Lookin' like that's about it, without ghetto-rigging something.

Honestly, I'd look into clamping a small, LED flashlight to the barrel like one might do on a shotgun. If you want to spend the money, you can find a light with a remote-switch tailcap, and tape the switch to the grip.
That's probably your most effective option.

Otherwise, I believe I remember seeing a revolver, once, wherein a light was mounted below the grip, pointing forward. It's ugly and adds bulk in an odd spot, possibly even effecting balance, but comes with the benefit of not requiring specialized holsters. You're going to have to get creative, though, and probably sacrifice a st of grips to screw a mount to.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Seen the flash light mounts on the bottom of the grip. Well.... they might make a Super Red Hawk look better. That way you wouldn't be looking at that goofy looking barrel (with the user manual printed on it).

Trying to get a little more elegant solution (that would probably be the 10mm Glock).

The tape switch is getting to be the problem now. To find one flexible enough to fit the curve of the pistol grip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top