Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2014 6:38:59 PM EDT
I am in the middle of a possible trade for this revolver and first I never saw a 686 that was a flat or blasted finish. All I have seen including my own have more of a polished finish. Second the original box has an M stamped on it. Does anyone know of any potential issues with these? The gun is supposed to have had only about 25 rounds through it. it's a 4 inchwhich is one barrel length I dont have so I may be trading an AR for this and some cash. ANY info at all would be appreciated on this revolver....
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't the M stamped on it to signify it went thru the S&W shop because the early one's had some issues?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The M signifies that the bushing around the firing pin hole has been replaced per factory recall in the early 80s.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The M signifies that the bushing around the firing pin hole has been replaced per factory recall in the early 80s.
View Quote

there are M  and 2M  stamps 2m means it went twice.  

bead blast finish is it a 4" or 3" barrel does it say CS-1 under the 686 if so you have a  UScustoms issue gun from the 80s
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

bead blast finish is it a 4" or 3" barrel does it say CS-1 under the 686 if so you have a  UScustoms issue gun from the 80s
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a 4 inch. I enlarged the pics and there is no CS-1 stamped on the gun, but I also can see now it it not a 686-1 like he said. It is stamped 686-2. I am guessing this will make some sort of difference but that blasted looking finish has me wondering simply because I have never seen this finish on a 686.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a picture of the box lable with all the listed stuff, some of the abreviations I dont know what they meen and pics of both sides of the gun if someone would like I can e-mail the pics and maybe you can tell me more about it. It is really not like any 686 I have ever seen. If interested send me an e-mail address and I will send pics..
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#7]
The bead blast could be aftermarket. I used to bead blast my stainless guns to reduce the shine and it helped to mitigate any scratches or scuffs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The bead blast could be aftermarket. I used to bead blast my stainless guns to reduce the shine and it helped to mitigate any scratches or scuffs.
View Quote

Not aftermarket. Gun is a one owner and he swears it came that way.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Could the "m" on the box stand for matte finish?  A pic of the box label would help. You might want to post over at smith-wesson forum.com. Lots of collectors over there who can give you great info.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Could the "m" on the box stand for matte finish?  A pic of the box label would help. You might want to post over at smith-wesson forum.com. Lots of collectors over there who can give you great info.
View Quote

On the box under finish it just has an (S) for stainless. The (M) is by its self on the upper right hand side of the label so I dont know.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#11]
GEEEEEZ I guess it dont matter now. The guy just backed out of the trade..Thanks for all the help anyway..
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Check the model number under the crane.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top