Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2014 5:21:43 PM EDT
I just picked this beauty up monday and am just now getting to look her over, Wow! Old school S&W craftsmanship just oozes out of this thing! This is my second foray into j-frames, first one being an m60-7 ( another fine piece ). I noticed that while they both seem identical by most outward appearances,  there are a couple small variations: the 649 has 2 small pins protruding from inside the cylinder that correspond to 2 holes in the star extractor while the 60 lacks that feature.
The grips on the 649 are fantastic! I would like to get a matching pair for the 60, or maybe another set of Uncle Mikes...anyway,  the grips are wood but I don't think they are laminate.  It's a very tight grain and it resembles a tiger eye stone when you shine light and move it around, beautiful wood. There is light checkering with a fleur de lis< spelling > on each end of the grips and a J milled inside one of the grips. That's it as far as markings go for the grips.
Now to date this fine piece of craftsmanship: the serial # BBN73XX.
My 60 is BRL55XX and when I called S&W I think they dated it at around '94.
Well, that's it guys. Hope y'all can help me out. And you guys aren't kidding about these beauties multiplying like rabbits! I really dig jframes more than any other S&W style, at least for now. It's funny because when I first saw the " humpback " pistol as a kid I thought it was ugly as hell! oh well, opinions and taste change with age they say, maybe the other frame styles will call to me soon...
Thanks a bunch guys!
                                        Ray IV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top