Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2014 3:04:35 PM EDT
Bought this today at the gun show. I'm withholding buying price & letting folks guess what I paid for it. I will say it has been refinished, so that obviously knocked down the price/value a bit.

Clearly the grips are aftermarket & pimp worthy & they'll go ASAP.

The gun:

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Any S&W revolver in good working order is worth $250 these days. That is what I will guess.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a re-finish job but nice old flat latch. How's the trigger feel?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like a re-finish job but nice old flat latch. How's the trigger feel?
View Quote

Yes, refinished for sure but decently done, IMO. Trigger is typical S&W: perfect...................    
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're thrilled about it I'd say 225 or so, damn shame about that re-finish though.

That said, I'm always on the lookout for beater Smiths. Something really liberating about having a gun you can beat to shit without worrying about function or removing value, in that same vain as picking up an $800 pickup on craigslist.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any S&W revolver in good working order is worth $250 these days. That is what I will guess.
View Quote

Winner on the first post!  
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:09:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Airweight model 38 not 49. May be a pre model number gun and the alloy frames are a little more in demand and cost a little more. Your 250 is fair but not a killer price
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#7]
That is pimptastic. I would have paid $250 for that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I would be happy to give 250 for that. The finish would not bother me at all and in fact I would consider the refinish a good thing. That way a person could carry it daily and use it like it was meant to be used and not have to worry about buggering up the pretty bluing.

That's simply a great working gun.

I carry a j frame snubby daily at work as a second handgun and its got some pretty good wear on it. I like looking at it, as it reminds me of the years and miles I've logged with my working gun.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Airweight model 38 not 49. May be a pre model number gun and the alloy frames are a little more in demand and cost a little more. Your 250 is fair but not a killer price
View Quote

Yes, I went by what the seller told me rather than looking it up. Thanks for the correction.  

It is in fact a pre-model number gun as it's not stamped on the crane or frame.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
i am not into flashy but i do like those grips.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I do like the humpbacks, as they don't snag, and can be shot either DA or SA, unlike the 442/642, and that one is definately old.
Just have to stick to the standard velocity ammo.
Some of the thumbreak holsters, don't work perfectly with them, but Aker and Bianchi, have OWB holsters, with snap releases under the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Some of the thumbreak holsters, don't work perfectly with them, but Aker and Bianchi, have OWB holsters, with snap releases under the trigger guard.
View Quote

Yep, got one for my other J-frame. I think I'll use an ankle holster with this one for either a back-up or midnight call outs @ work.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:43:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice buy -- i'd leave the grips myself --- makes it look a little more fun and interesting    (and for keeping hoes in line, i would want nothing less )   -- but for me, its fairly easy to keep the hoes in line - right next to the rakes and shovels

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice buy -- i'd leave the grips myself --- makes it look a little more fun and interesting    (and for keeping hoes in line, i would want nothing less )   -- but for me, its fairly easy to keep the hoes in line - right next to the rakes and shovels

<a href="http://s211.photobucket.com/user/streetstar707/media/419HRA9XXWL_SL500_AA300__zps156b3ba7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb285/streetstar707/419HRA9XXWL_SL500_AA300__zps156b3ba7.jpg</a>
View Quote

I have large hands & smooth grips & I don't play well together...............  

I usually use rosewood finger groove grips on all my wheel guns. I just need to decide if they will be the longer or shorter design.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I usually use rosewood finger groove grips on all my wheel guns. I just need to decide if they will be the longer or shorter design.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s211.photobucket.com/user/streetstar707/media/419HRA9XXWL_SL500_AA300__zps156b3ba7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb285/streetstar707/419HRA9XXWL_SL500_AA300__zps156b3ba7.jpg</a>

beautiful little pistol! I just picked up my 649-1 this past Monday and am fingerbanging it as I  read this forum. It came with beautiful rosewood 2-finger grips that make it feel like an extension of your arm. I can't decide whether I like these or the Uncle Mikes that are on my m60-7 better... I will eventually get some " pimp " grips with a T-grip just for kicks, though...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top