Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2014 2:05:16 PM EDT
Hi,
I am thinking  very seriously that I need a S&W M 69, in 44magnum. It is only a 5 shot, & has the dreaded lock everyone but me hates. I don't like the lock, but have run hundreds of rounds through my new 686 with no problems. At any rate, feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

PS: I am not interested in "waiting for a used model 29, etc.etc. I may not have the time to wait around and want to shoot this while I am still able.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#1]
When they make a 3" round butt I will buy one, until then I don't really see the point.

Just read your P.S.

If there are extenuating conditions then go buy whatever you want right now.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank You, If someone had heard of severe problems with them, I was going to pass. As to my PS: Thanks again, my heart disease is getting worse, which means I wear out very quickly. I have already gone from 3 trips a week to the range to one, unless I can get one of my friends, or wife to drive one way. It is about 35 miles from me.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When they make a 3" round butt I will buy one, until then I don't really see the point.

Just read your P.S.

If there are extenuating conditions then go buy whatever you want right now.
View Quote

Bingo. Also, without a lock.(Yeah, I know. A man can dream though.)
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Just out of curiosity, why the L frame 5 shot instead of an N frame 6 shot?  Smaller and lighter but in a .44 magnum the bigger size helps in my opinion.  My N frame 629 V-Comp has a decent amount of recoil which is too much for some folks but it's fun for me.  I've never shot the M69 but knowing how my 629 feels I'm guessing the smaller, lighter model is going to make it a fair bit uncomfortable to shoot.  That's just a guess, admittedly I'd like to shoot one side by side my N frame to see the difference first hand.  I agree about the lock, I don't have any use for it but it wouldn't stop me from buying an otherwise perfect gun.  I hope you find the one you want, I love me some .44 magnum. Post up pics, I don't think I've ever seen one outside of S&W website.

Here's mine, with the N frame, Hogue recoil absorbing grips and the compensator it's down right pleasant to shoot in my opinion.  Although I've had some big burly tough guys refuse to shoot it so maybe it's just me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If I had one, in the 3in RB form, it would get a steady diet of .44 Special, and not many magnums.

I have wanted a .44 Special 5-shot K-frame forever, but except for a few custom revolvers that has been unobtainium.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry about the heart disease. VAD Candidate?

Only thing I've heard about the 69 so far is the fierce recoil.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#7]
As to "Why an L-frame instead of an N-frame?", I cannot answer for the OP, but for me it comes down to hand size.

N-frames are simply too big to shoot comfortably and securely, even when the grip frame has been cut down to K-frame size. Truth be told, the J-frame grip size is just about ideal for me. Even my K-frames have small and relatively thin grips. The L-frame is at the upper limit of what my hands can comfortably hold, and then only with very thin grips having no backstrap.

Yeah, recoil is increased, but what're you gonna do? The M69 allows me to have a reasonably-sized .44Mag that I can comfortably handle. I'm willing to give up one round for that. I'll be even happier when they chamber them in .45 Colt.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, as to why the L frame over the N frame. Last year my daughter & two of her friends went back country hiking in CO. The had a close encounter with a mountain bum & a large Bull Elk. I also believe, though she isn't saying right out, that a bear was involved too. Would probably have been a brown, not a griz. One of the gals was carrying a .380, the other 2 were unarmed. I wanted to get myself a new toy, yet something she could handle. I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44, but it is too clumsy for her to handle quickly. I thought the Model 69 would be something she could handle. I was going to start her off with .44 specials, then have her shoot a few magnums. Plus when it comes right down to it, I can get the L frame cheaper. The N frame in the pic above is a beautiful piece of work. I don't know if she could handle it as well. I figure I will shoot mainly .44 specials in it. I had a Smith night guard .44 special, snub nose, and loved it, but alas, I sold it. My stupidest mistake was selling off my N frame model 29 I had back in the 1980s. My daughter has been shooting since she was 9 or 10 off and on. She is in her early 40's now. She is pretty tough, and I think she can handle the double action M69 OK.

Thanks for all the input,

Mark
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The M69 allows me to have a reasonably-sized .44Mag that I can comfortably handle. I'm willing to give up one round for that. I'll be even happier when they chamber them in .45 Colt.
View Quote

I will be setting up a tent in the parking lot of my fun store to be first in line to order one if S&W ever announces that also
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one . What would you like to know
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
That makes sense, I grew up shooting and have had quite a bit of experience with handguns.  I'm 5'11 and while my hands aren't huge they aren't your average tiny girl hands either so I don't have any issues with the N frame.  Someone with significantly smaller hands would probably have problems with the grip so the smaller frame would make sense.  I also happen to love shooting magnums and there's only been one box of .44 Specials through my V-Comp and that was only because it's the only ammo I could get at the time and I had never shot the gun (it was a Christmas present).

I definitely wouldn't go into the bear woods with a .380...eeek!  I would feel comfortable in Colorado with a .357 magnum though, Ruger with a 4"+ barrel so it could make use of "bear loads" and "Ruger only" ammo.  A .44 magnum would further enhance my sense of calm.

If you get a M69 post up pics, I'd love to see it!
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I will be setting up a tent in the parking lot of my fun store to be first in line to order one if S&W ever announces that also
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The M69 allows me to have a reasonably-sized .44Mag that I can comfortably handle. I'm willing to give up one round for that. I'll be even happier when they chamber them in .45 Colt.

You have a gun store? Where is it?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you like it? Any problems with it? Is the recoil all that bad? And anything else you can think of about it.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That makes sense, I grew up shooting and have had quite a bit of experience with handguns.  I'm 5'11 and while my hands aren't huge they aren't your average tiny girl hands either so I don't have any issues with the N frame.  Someone with significantly smaller hands would probably have problems with the grip so the smaller frame would make sense.  I also happen to love shooting magnums and there's only been one box of .44 Specials through my V-Comp and that was only because it's the only ammo I could get at the time and I had never shot the gun (it was a Christmas present).

I definitely wouldn't go into the bear woods with a .380...eeek!  I would feel comfortable in Colorado with a .357 magnum though, Ruger with a 4"+ barrel so it could make use of "bear loads" and "Ruger only" ammo.  A .44 magnum would further enhance my sense of calm.

If you get a M69 post up pics, I'd love to see it!
View Quote

Brandi,
I tried to reply to you last night, but my confuser had problems. My daughter is 5'4", fairly thin. She is a runner, qualified for the Boston marathon 3 or 4 years ago. Now she is getting into being a triathlete, so she is not frail. She also is the Mother of 4. I think she could handle the 69 ok, and if a bear were after them, I am not sure she would even feel the recoil. I really appreciate your input, and agree a gun like yours would be better for her. Her problem is her dad (me) is a cheap charlie and doesn't want to spend the $$ for a gun as nice as yours. She is also 41 years old. I know she won't spend the money herself, so I stepped in. It will be my gun, until she goes on hiking trips, then I will let her borrow it. I don't anticipate recoil being that big a problem for me. At the range, I will shoot .44specials through it. My S&W .44 spec. Nightguard did not bother me at all. Thank you for your help and advice.

Mark
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

How do you like it? Any problems with it? Is the recoil all that bad? And anything else you can think of about it.

Thanks,
Mark
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Mark

I like the size of it , the single action trigger pull is very sweet . Not  big on the finish , preferring a blue finish but I use it as a truck gun and do not worry too much about the finish .
It is light weight so the recoil is heavy firing 44 magnums . I shoot 44 Russian out of mine since I reload that caliber  and mostly target shoot .
I like the sights with the orange front sight showing well . It is accurate with my reloads and with the one cylinder of magnums I put through it .
No problems with it or the other Smith I have with the lock .
I would be confident in its ability to protect myself from any threat .
I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, that helps a lot.
Thank You,
Mark
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been looking for one of these too, just because.  A round butt 3" would be about ideal as a woods gun.  I also can't find a Model 60 with a 3" barrel (Gunbroker overpriced units excepted).  Almost all S&W revolvers seem to be made of unobtainium lately and the few that show up the dealers want a bloody fortune for.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree, for whatever reason S&W revolvers are tough to find and if you do find one the owner is asking ridiculous money for it.  Someday I'll get a 627 V-Comp to go with my 629, seems like they should be together.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I like the size of it , the single action trigger pull is very sweet . Not  big on the finish , preferring a blue finish but I use it as a truck gun and do not worry too much about the finish .
It is light weight so the recoil is heavy firing 44 magnums . I shoot 44 Russian out of mine since I reload that caliber  and mostly target shoot .
I like the sights with the orange front sight showing well . It is accurate with my reloads and with the one cylinder of magnums I put through it .
I hope that helps.
<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/user/bars01/media/model69001_zps1618c8ae.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn237/bars01/model69001_zps1618c8ae.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Mark

I hope that helps.
<a href="http://s305.photobucket.com/user/bars01/media/model69001_zps1618c8ae.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn237/bars01/model69001_zps1618c8ae.jpg</a>

I'm a fan of full lug revolvers but that's a good looking wheelie.  Maybe some barrel porting to tame the recoil for a trail gun?  It's actually one of the reasons I chose the V-Comp.  The compensator really helps with the recoil and and can take it off and put the non compensated barrel end on it.  I'm a weenie, I admit it LOL, I like less recoil.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Finding a gunsmith qualified to do the job and willing to do the job and waiting on the work to be done are reasons why 99% of my guns are stock without modification .
Consider yourself lucky if you have a competent gunsmith who can perform work in a reasonable time frame
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I replaced the factory grips on mine with the Pachmayr "compac" grips.  Slightly rounder and a bit wider than the factory ones.  Seemed to help with the recoil a little.  Reloading is the best way to get use out of the S&W 69.

Paladin
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 2 N Frame 44's and a model 69. My 69 recoils less than my 4" 629 and about the same as my 6" 29. The bore axis is lower which I think accounts for lessened recoil. The weight between the 629 and 69 are minimal.

I really like mine and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:23:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I like the looks of that grip in the M69, just looks "grippy" and comfortable for some reason...how does it perform in real life?
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:46:19 AM EDT
[#24]
They are grippy and comfortable . A perfect way to describe them .
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I've always loved the L-frame

been thinking about selling my 629 and getting a 69

not sure...

my 629

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#26]

GET IT GO SHOOT IT IF YOU LAST LONG ENOUGH LATER GET THAT 629.ENJOY WHAT YOU CAN MAN

BE CAUTIOUS ABOUT THE LOCK, I HATE THEM, BUT THE ONLY FAILURES i HAVE SEEN DOCUMENTED WERE IN J FRAMES WITH NUCLEAR 357 LOADS AND 44S WITH HUGE LOADS  IF YOU SHOOT REASONABLE LOADS i THINK YOU ARE GOOD TO GO. YOU CAN ALWAYS REMOVE THE LOCK TOO

BEST OF LUCK OP
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#27]
That lock stuff is way overblown...all I shoot in my 629 V-Comp is full power .44 magnum and it's never had a hiccup.  I've yet to hear a single "this happened to me" story about the locks only"I read about this" or "I heard that..".   If the locks were a problem it surely would have shown itself shooting full power .44 magnums.  I'm not a fan of the lock, there are plenty of other ways to secure a revolver but the lock paranoia is just ridiculous.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#28]
My local gun dealer emailed me yesterday & said it would be in this week. I am looking forward to shooting it.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Congrats, looking forward to hearing a range report.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Good for you ! You chose well
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Well, I got the NIB S&W model 69 from my local gun store & friend. Upon inspection, I noticed it had a dis-colored area on the barrel. No big deal. I get it home, get my camera out and took some pretty good photos to post. As I tried to upload them to Photo bucket, they went into the ether zone. Not on Photo Bucket or on my computer anymore. I took it to the range today, with 1 box of 200 gr.  round nose .44spl. Cowboy loads, and I box of .44 magnum 240gr. hollow points. The .44 specials went into the gun with ease, except for 1 cylinder. It took a little harder push, but went in. Those .44spls shot GREAT! super accurate etc. No kick, about like shooting .38 spl. Now for the magnums: The one hole in the cyl. that had been hard to get a 44 spl. in, was IMPOSSIBLE to get a .44 magnum in! I cleaned it etc. still no go. So I loaded up with 4 rounds and went to shooting. Recoil was stiff very stiff. I don't remember my old Model 29 kicking like that. But I hadn't shot a .44 magnum in 20 years, so I got used to the kick. Then guess what? I couldn't get the fired cases out of the cylinder! I tapped on it with a screwdriver handle, and out they came. I shot about half the box this way. I took it out & showed the owner. It is on it's way back to S&W!!!  Note: I bought a new model 686 from him about 2 months ago. It shoots like a dream, no problems at all.

Just FYI,

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#32]
No comments? I put this up several days ago, about my experience with my under bored cylinder, ejector gets stuck, brand new S&W M69. I have decided that when it gets back from Smith, if it is properly fixed, to sell it & get a 5.5" bbl Ruger Redhawk. It was a lot of fun shooting .44 specials through. At any rate, thank you for your past comments.

Mark
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#33]
That sucks
especially with what S&W is charging for these $$$

Was your trouble with handloads or factory ammo ?

you need to be real careful  tapping rounds out of a S&W revolver, you can bend the crane.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#34]
That sucks, it's not very often a gun gets out with an issue like that but it happens.  S&W will fix it, I wouldn't give it over that if you like how it felt and shot.   I love S&W but I also love Ruger's so either or will be a great gun.  The advantage that Ruger has is strength, you could shoot really hot .44 magnums all day long and not phase the Ruger while the S&W will take only a certain amount of that.  Of course very few people would shoot that kind of ammo often enough to create an issue with the S&W but that is the main difference.  

It sucks getting a new gun that isn't right from the factory but it happens.  It's happened more often since the demand for guns has increased and production had to increase to keep pace.  When you push production you are going to compromise quality so here we are.  Sorry you got a bad one but S&W will fix it and hopefully give you something for the trouble.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Brandi , Why do your posts always make sense
You are spot on . OP you have a problem that the Smith and Wesson company is going to see too .
It is unfortunate and inconvenient but as Brandi stated if you like the gun otherwise you should keep it .
If not then onto the Ruger and bliss .
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:33:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the input. I was using factory loads, and tapped very lightly on crane. I think I am going for the  Redhawk. It's heavier, thus less recoil. I am older than I thought I was. And I agree that posts by Brandi make sense. Also, I have had to send 4 NIB Sigs back, and already have my Wife's older 686 being repaired by S&W now. My new in June 686 has had about 400-500 rounds through it, &  runs very well.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#37]
It's the one Smith 44 I'd like to own, perfect for a 44 carry piece. Use medium power loads for it and it'd be awesome. Had several Smith 29/629s in the past, just not built for the full house reloads, so I've gone Ruger and freedom arms for the serious loads. This new offering though s just what they needed to make.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top