Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 5:20:25 PM EDT
Is it possible to just change the cylinder on a service six without changing the gate completely out? I just had to order a new cylinder and gate because the cylinder on my is shot! Someone has fired a butt Load of hot 38 spl/ +P or something out of it. There is a ton of flame scoring inside each of the cylinders chambers.

Can I spin the cylinder off of the ejection rid? Should I just put the whole new saddle with cylinder on? How do I time the revolver afterwards?

Thanks for any help.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried soaking the cylinder holes with Kroil, and perhaps spinning a chamber brush in a drill?  If you go back to .357 casings the 38 Special crap will probably be behind the case mouths.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Never seen a revolver that had cylinder scorching that wasn't just carbon buildup or cosmetic in nature. I doubt it's really toasted.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:39:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Cylinder replacement requirement as noted above highly doubtful. How does it shoot? That is all that really matters - just like some mil surp rifle bores look bad but still hold a group.
And regarding cylinder replacement yes it is a gunsmith job and is unlikely to be a drop in part.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:02:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I am going to try to do the hoppes, and kroil thing.  I'll post pics for you guys later.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I know these aren't the best pics around.  Sorry.  BUT you CAN see the erosion of the cylinder in them.  it is pretty bad.  The barrel is still like a mirror tho... That's what beats me.  Anyways... Here it is.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Might try a Lewis Lead Remover.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to hijack the thread. But can you swap out the cylinder on a .38 model for a .357 cylinder? Its my understanding that the .38 and .357 are built on the same frame with only the cylinders being different.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread. But can you swap out the cylinder on a .38 model for a .357 cylinder? Its my understanding that the .38 and .357 are built on the same frame with only the cylinders being different.
View Quote

I have seen another thread about this.  I "think" the answer was YES.  You might want to research it a little bit more and NOT take my word for it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Might try a Lewis Lead Remover.
View Quote

Good suggestion.  Hard to tell from the photos but I don't think that cylinder is past redemption.  Also note Ruger doesn't support this platform anymore.  They have very few parts left.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am going to try to do the hoppes, and kroil thing.  I'll post pics for you guys later.
View Quote

Now you need to shoot it.

There is a good chance that it will shoot just fine.

Much easier than changing a cylinder.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Get one of the brass "tornado" brushes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know if I mentioned it or not but I soaked the cylinder and cradle in the Hoppes #9. I then put am oversized brush in a drill and brushed the living shit out of it. There is still some flame scoring visible but it is 100%better now. I am just picky I guess. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 4:21:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I have done it before on a Service Six.  Obviously you have to change the barrel, at least I did???  But now that I think about it, I guess 357 would travel through a 38 barrel right??  It is just the case that is longer?

Either way, I changed out both cylinder and barrel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top