Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2014 8:59:01 AM EDT
Uggh, Smith & Wesson.  I'm toying with the idea of buying a brand new 629 (despite the damn lock and terrible finish).  I think I'll be happy with it if I buy one, remove the lock and install "the plug" and then have the entire gun refinished.  I don't want to send it to S&W for the refinish job, so can anyone recommend where I'd send it to have a proper finish put on?  What I don't like about the new ones are all the swirls in their finish.  I know Mothers polish will make it shine, but it doesn't remove all the swirl marks and they'll drive me crazy.  So, if anyone can recommend someone who does a nice refinish on stainless S&W revolvers I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
You can send it to S&W and they will re-polish to a higher standard, all the way up to a full mirror polish.
The Performance Center will do it to any level you want.

Here's some other master gun refinisher services who can do a better polish without screwing up the gun like part time ham-handed polishers do.
Most local gunsmiths don't do enough metal polishing to develop or maintain the skill.
The following gun refinishers have people who spend 8 hours a day for years polishing metal and have the skills to do it right.

You will need to talk to them to make sure you're on the same page as far as exactly what you want.

http://www.apwcogan.com/

http://www.fordsguns.com/

http://www.elitecustomguns.com/index1.htm
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the references.  Have you used any of the three and would you recommend one over the others?  

I'm leary about sending it to S&W, as the lock will be removed.  I also figure if the new ones look as bad as they do I'm not sure they really know what they're doing over there any longer.  I could be completely wrong on that however.  I may cal them as well and see what they say.  I'd like a new one just to have the same finish as the one I bought new in 1986, that's really all I'm looking for.  Just a nice looking finish with no swirls and scratches, but not a mirror shine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the references.  Have you used any of the three and would you recommend one over the others?  

I'm leary about sending it to S&W, as the lock will be removed.  I also figure if the new ones look as bad as they do I'm not sure they really know what they're doing over there any longer.  I could be completely wrong on that however.  I may cal them as well and see what they say.  I'd like a new one just to have the same finish as the one I bought new in 1986, that's really -all I'm looking for.  Just a nice looking finish with no swirls and scratches, but not a mirror shine.
View Quote

I haven't looked at any new S&W's for awhile, so I don't know what you mean by the "swirls and scratches." The older ones c. 80s-90s might sometimes be described that way as well, having a "brushed" finish. I know, I have more than one example. So it may be that just using a white 3M pad and some Mother's, Flitz, or Simichrome might just get the new one where you want it without spending the hundreds of dollars extra involved in shipping and finishing services.

But, here's my real suggestion: if you want a gun like the one you had in the mid-80s, then BUY an gun that was MADE in the mid-80s. They made a lot of them, and they are out there. That's not only what I would do, it is what I have done. Just mho, of course!

ETA, the 629-4 is arguably the best version of the 629 made. Production dates from '93-'97 according to the SCSW.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I hear you, and did start out that route but I cant seem to find an oldie in decent shape.  The few that I've seen were not well taken care of, needed at least a re-crown on the barrel, and had pretty loose cylinders (probably from a steady diet of hot mag loads).  The whole ordeal is becoming very discouraging....I wish I never sold mine but lesson learned.  Anyway, looking to go new and have it properly finished.  If I could find a new in box stainless 6"  from 1986 that had never been fired I'd pay the premium price but I doubt that'll ever come along.  So, a new one with the lock removed and the hole plugged, and then a nice finish by a reputable gunsmith / finisher is what I'm planning on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#5]
As for who to use, it's generally considered that APW/Cogan and Ford's are the best in the business.
Flip a coin as to who's THE best.

Again, you need to actually talk to them so they fully understand exactly what you want.  They can do work from full matte to full mirror polish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top