Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 5:41:20 AM EDT
Been wanting to post a pic here of my 4" 686-3  for a while now (same pic in arfcom Reloading forum)
Here it is along with my first .357 Magnum reloads (125.g FP / 9.g  AA#5)
Bought it new in '94. I've put a few rounds through it in that time but I'm still a horrible shot. It's a much better gun than I am a shooter!

the two bullets were my from first two attempts. I eventually got it right because of the expert advice given here on ar15.com (I wasn't backing the die out enough. Hence the extreme crimping)

Not too bad pics considering they're taken with an iphone

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice!  I have the same gun that I purchased new in 1993.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice 686. Looks like it hasn't been shot much.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!  I have the same gun that I purchased new in 1993.  
View Quote

Great minds think alike (and nearly at the same time )!
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Very nice 686. Looks like it hasn't been shot much.
View Quote

Thanks
Babied since the day of purchase
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice looking gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks smallmouth
I know members here have the exact same model but I still enjoy both seeing and posting pictures.
Owned several fine S&W revolvers in the past but this ones been my favorite.
I think I paid $380ish after taxes back in '94
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Great pic of a nice looking gun.  In my younger years of firearms (let's say my 20s for conversation sake) all pistols had to be semi.  

However, now that I'm an old fart (31 ) I don't want to look at anything other than wheel guns.  Perhaps it's because I've exhausted my semi collection and am looking for something "new".
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:49:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great pic of a nice looking gun.  In my younger years of firearms (let's say my 20s for conversation sake) all pistols had to be semi.  

However, now that I'm an old fart (31 ) I don't want to look at anything other than wheel guns.  Perhaps it's because I've exhausted my semi collection and am looking for something "new".
View Quote

I have most of the components to reload 9mm (couple thousand pieces of brass, dies, primers and powder) and can get a great deal on a M&P 9mm but I can't get all that enthused about it. I'm jonesing for a 629. Sold an 8 3/8" years ago and have regretted that decision ever since.
ETA and Thank You
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Im with you on this.

Plus, with my revolvers, I dont have to chase brass.....

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:25:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I want to apologize for being an idiot. Before posting the pictures, I scrolled back a couple of weeks of pages looking for a 'Post a pic of your Revolver' and didn't find one, which I though was odd. Never bothered to look at the top for a sticky!
Anyway, thanks all for the kind words and not getting on me for acting like I was special  

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the same gun purchased back in 94. It's a great gun and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 4:22:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow

If you could only own one revolver, that is it right there.  

One of smith's best
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow

One of smith's best
View Quote

I didn't know much about revolvers when I bought it, though I had been shooting all my life.
I just knew that that gun in that glass case had my name written all over it

Man, I came close to selling it years ago after a divorce and losing a job. I was in such dire straits at the time that I took it to a pawn shop to see what they would give me for it. I don't remember the offer, but it wasn't much.
I really mean it when I say to people in similar straits, that things do get better and not to sell their good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I didn't know much about revolvers when I bought it, though I had been shooting all my life.

Man, I came close to selling it years ago after a divorce and losing a job. I was in such dire straits at the time that I took it to a pawn shop to see what they would give me for it. I don't remember the offer, but it wasn't much.
I really mean it when I say to people in similar straits, that things do get better and not to sell their good stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow

One of smith's best

Nice 686! I have a 686-1 purchased around 88-90. Glad you held on to it! That revolver is worth between $500 and $750 easy now.

I have been broke before and sold blood plasma because I refused to pawn or sell any of my guns. I'm in better financial shape now and prowl pawnshops in search of great guns.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice 686. I have my grand dad's S&W 38 special and a 629, both are great shooters. Can't go wrong with a Smith.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top