Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2014 5:44:34 PM EDT
What revolver and what caliber do you recommend for a range only revolver? I prefer something single action only.

Is a Ruger in .22lr the way to go?
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Ruger Single Ten and it is a blast to shoot. The fiber optics make it easy to find the target even in poor lighting. The heavy gun has zero recoil and being single action you get to "work" the gun. And its actually very accurate.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Treat yourself to a S&W K22 Masterpiece.   Is DA, though.

Ray
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#3]
To me in price kinda hard to beat any of the Heritages.

Personally myself I like sticking to centerfire (specially with it still not easy picking up any .22). I like my Ruger Blackhawk in .357
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the classic look and feel of a SAA. Uberti is a great choice for not spending a ton. I bought this .38/.357 so i could save some money and keep my colt gen3 44-40 in the safe.

The price was right to.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Single Action?: Ruger.

Double Action?: Smith & Wesson.

It really is that simple.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
s&w 29 , 686, TRR-8, s&w 500,  FOR RANGE ONLY ALL ARE GREAT GUNS in SA I like cimmeorns in 45 LC
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]
IF you have other guns and want to improve your skills with them I'd pick a double action with a hammer.

4" S&W 686 is a great choice.

You can cock the hammer for more accurate work but mastering a DA revolver will make you shoot most other weapons a touch better.

I did this same thing years ago with great results.

Light .38 all the way up to hot .357 the L-frame will do it all and a good gunsmith can make the trigger amazing (Karl Sokol)
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#8]
If you were intent on a .22, I'd get something with a swingout cylinder before a single action loading gate.  I hate loading little biddy cartridges in through a loading gate.   K22 masterpeice would be ideal.

If you wanted a centerfire gun I'd go with a .38 or .357 ; ruger for single action  S&W for double action.  L frame is very nice.  A K frame in stainless (66) would be great too, they're a touch smaller and balance better for me.

A .32 H&R has always been on my list of range only guns.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you were intent on a .22, I'd get something with a swingout cylinder before a single action loading gate.  I hate loading little biddy cartridges in through a loading gate.
View Quote

The one big complaint about the Ruger Single Ten is that cylinder doesnt stop in place to unload each round, so quite a few times ill have to spin the cylinder around to try and catch the open cylinder hole with the push rod, kinds of a pain. I dont think the Single Six has this problem
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#10]
There's no question, unless you want to drop huge money on a Freedom Arms custom SA, Ruger is the best hands down.  No reason to buy an Italian copy when you can buy a true American single action from Ruger.  Italy makes some very good replicas and some very bad replicas but Ruger makes even better guns all day, everyday.  Colt also makes a fantastic SA that has a long historical timeline and is an excellent choice if you don't plan to ever shoot anything but the lower power "cowboy" ammo.

I've got a large frame Vaquero, two New Vaquero Bisley's, a Blackhawk Convertible all in .45Colt plus a Single Six Convertible .22LR/.22WMR.  You just can't buy a better single action without moving up to the Freedom Arms.  I say buy American and support American gun manufacturers, especially in this time where our second amendment has been constantly under attack.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]
My 4" S&W 617 accompanies me on every range trip. I shoot it until its so dirty you can't load rounds in the cylinder, clean it and then repeat. DA is my preference but the SA pull is pretty nice. I would definately agree that a swing out cylinder is nice to have on a range gun that is going to be shot a lot.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#12]
K frame .38 special is the way to go. Can be found for under $400 used. The same guy is at our 2 gun shows a year selling good condition 64-8s for $350. I have purchased 2 in the last 3 years, might buy a third. One ended up being a gift. I also have a 14-2 that was under $400. Very nice range gun, and stupid cheap to reload for.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Single Action?: Ruger.

Double Action?: Smith & Wesson.

It really is that simple.
View Quote

This

Smith or Dan on the DA's
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:36:58 AM EDT
[#14]
A couple folks have suggested revolvers with fixed sights. I don't know why anyone would want fixed sights on a range gun.  In 22's the Ruger makes a good quality affordable revolver.  Although 99% of my range shooting is single action, I'll agree with the others that a swing out cylinder of a DA/SA is a heck of a lot easier to load and unload.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What revolver and what caliber do you recommend for a range only revolver? I prefer something single action only.

Is a Ruger in .22lr the way to go?
View Quote

I prefer DA.

I feel shooting DA is a great way to practice. I like to shoot some SA and then some DA. I think mixing it up that way improves my overall shooting.

The Ruger .22s are fine, I have a little Bearcat i bought for my boys that I love to shoot. All said I'd probably opt for a S&W K-22 if I went with .22. However my preference would be a .357, probably a S&W 28, and run lots of .38 reloads through it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
IF you have other guns and want to improve your skills with them I'd pick a double action with a hammer.

. . .

You can cock the hammer for more accurate work but mastering a DA revolver will make you shoot most other weapons a touch better.

. . .

Light .38 all the way up to hot .357 the L-frame will do it all and a good gunsmith can make the trigger amazing (Karl Sokol)
View Quote

Yes. I like to shoot my 28 or 66 SA one handed, or DA two handed.

I prefer the N frame 28s, personally.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#17]
a .22LR or a S&W 686.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top