Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
pythons are an investment, i paid 1200 in 2006 for a mint 6" blue python.  its probably doubled in value

prices have been going up like crazy,
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a Colt Python, but have a 2" Trooper Mark III, a 4" Trooper Mark V, and a 4"  King Cobra. That being said, I just bought a 4" S&W Model 28 ( five screw model) with the smoothest double action I have ever used! This gun had hardly been shot, but the DA pull felt  smooth as glass! The trigger pull on my Colts  is very rough compared to the Model 28. The only better trigger pull I ever shot was a 4" Model 66 that was issued to me when I put myself through the police academy in 1994.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pythons are an investment, i paid 1200 in 2006 for a mint 6" blue python.  its probably doubled in value

View Quote

NOW YA JUST NEED TO FIND SOMEONE WITH 2500 FOR A GUN THEY WILL NEVER SHOOT... I DOUBT PYTHONS WILL GO MUCH HIGHER EXCEPT VERY RARE EXAMPLES LIKE 3" ECT.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

NOW YA JUST NEED TO FIND SOMEONE WITH 2500 FOR A GUN THEY WILL NEVER SHOOT... I DOUBT PYTHONS WILL GO MUCH HIGHER EXCEPT VERY RARE EXAMPLES LIKE 3" ECT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also wondering the value won't level off or even decline.  I know Model 12 Winchesters are selling (in my area) at the same price they did 10 to 15 years ago after going through the roof.  Winchester 94's have actually went down in value from their high just a few years ago.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Supply & demand.
The supply is fixed but demand varies. Once demand drops so do prices.
This is why I always buy guns that I intend to fire / use and never look at them as an investment.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:22:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a SS 6" Python that I bought 25 years ago Pythons are pretty strong guns. They are literally hand-built guns. When a Python is to be built, only the most skilled workers work on the Python-line. The gunsmith gets a box of gun parts and they must file and stone to put the gun together. The bore is not a cylinder, it is a taper, with the small end at the muzzle.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had both a Python (and a couple Official Police) and several Smiths. Personally, I like the Smith and Wesson better for a shooting, hiking pistol.
It's just a personal preference. Older Smiths are as nice as anything. Sold the Python to fund other firearms.

I would recommend that you get the Smith now, and keep your eyes open for a Python when you have more money. If you buy the Smith at the right price, you will get your money out of it. But I bet you don't sell it. Look for a 686 or 586 if you want the equivalent to a Python. But a Model 27 Smith is the best finished pistol out there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I would suggest something in the middle. I have a S&W 627 PC 357mag (8 Times!) and its amazing. It would cost you around $900 +/- depending on alot of things. I have a python and like it, love it. but dont shoot it because of the 'value'. The S&W PC will be a high end trigger without breaking the bank or worrying about ruining the value.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Supply & demand.
The supply is fixed but demand varies. Once demand drops so do prices.
This is why I always buy guns that I intend to fire / use and never look at them as an investment.
View Quote
Many of my guns, I look at it as an investment. And why not, if and when I do get tired of it, and can sell it for at least what I paid for it, and in the ase of my Colt Python and Diamondback revolvers more than what I paid.

BTW: For you folks who think of your firearms as an investment, don't.
When my son was little 28 years ago, I bought for him an unfired Colt Python 38spl 8" nickle, yep 38spl, probably one of the most accurate revolvers made. When I gave it to him when he turned 21, the gun was worth ~$2K. My dad gave my son $1,000 in a mutual fund, that fund has grown to $5,000 at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I have '68 mfg, 6"bbl Python and a '80 mfg 27-2, 4"bbl, both blued.  Everyone who shoots both of them, likes the trigger on the Smith better.  The Colt is untouched, the Smith had a professional trigger job done, plus a lot more rounds through it.  I'll take my 4" 27 any day of the week!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my Colt Trooper MkIII

Although next revolver to retire the colt is either a 686P or TRR8
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top