Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/10/2014 11:04:47 AM EDT
I'm new to revolvers.  Is a Colt Python really worth 1500-3000 vs 500-900 for pinned/recessed Model 19s, Model 27s or 28s?  Is it just because Pythons are discontinued, or is there a performance/quality reason for the price disparity?
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say because there are fewer Pythons vs S&W.  Both have had their share of lemons over the years.  I have several of the S&W's that you mentioned and my Dad has several Colts, all have been very solid accurate guns.  I do like the double action trigger on the S&W better, it is a noticeably shorter pull.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you want a shooter or investment/safe queen?  

If you want a shooter get a 686.  Pythons are not perfect either.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I want one sweet double action revolver in 357 that I'll have for the rest of my life...I already have a SAA clone.  But I will be shooting the gun, yes.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I've owned three Colt Pythons and a King Cobra over the years. I've sold each one. Although the Python is a great gun, I just couldn't warm up to it. If you want a Colt, you may want to consider the King Cobra. They are very well made 357s and can be bought in the $800 to $1200 range.

If you want a Smith that you can keep the rest of your life, I would suggest looking at the Performance Center line.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#5]
investment grade / safe queen - python

A great Shooter  without breaking the bank - S&W mods 19 , 28 etc. I have a 1976 target model s&w 19 that i love.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought one several years ago with the intention of shooting IDPA Revolver Class.

While the Python was a work of art and extremely accurate, for MY USE the the longer trigger pull and unique cylinder latch was inferior to S&W's.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want one sweet double action revolver in 357 that I'll have for the rest of my life...I already have a SAA clone.  But I will be shooting the gun, yes.
View Quote

I would never push anyone away from a Python who really wants one,  - i have 2 myself  ---   Pythons have always cost more than Smith's  --- their revolver that was comparably priced to the Smith's was the King Cobra and Anaconda

I love 'em and i love the Python trigger  -- it is superior to a MArk 3 or a Mark 5 trigger (King Cobras and Anacondas)  --  that said, it is a different trigger than the Smith in double action for sure -- most who dont like the Python trigger are guys with Smith experience first  --- single action is a moot point - the Python single action trigger breaks like the proverbial glass rod , but the double action trigger has a 2 stage feel -- its light enough for sure, but plenty of people seem to get along with the Smith D-A trigger better

I shoot mine -- but i dont shoot them extensively --  they are lucky to see 500 rounds a year apiece   ----  I shoot my MArk 3's far more -  they are beautiful guns , but not many gunsmiths around are competent enough to work on a Python -- if it ever has a problem , it needs to go back to Colt ,  -- not so with a MArk 3/Mark 5 or Smith and Wesson

As well, for as high as the resale value is on the stinkin' things right now, i really dont want to be beatin' on it too much -- even if it can take it (but i do shoot mine far more than most Python owners )

It pains me to say it , but if i could have only one 357 revolver  (just one would really suck though ) - i'd likely make it either a King Cobra or a Smith Model 27  --- The 27 is a beautiful pistol too, while the Colt is more utilitarian in appearance   -- you'd never wear either of those guns out, but if you do, they can be worked on without sending it back to CT

If you want more than one?  then sure, then i'd add the king Snake to the collection  -------    but now , its kind of like using a Ferrari as a daily driver
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The S&W's are standard factory guns with a minimum of hand fitting and no real tuning of the action.
They were assembled by standard line production personnel.
They had nicer blue jobs in past years.
They were accurate guns.
Most of them are still being made.

The Python was a semi-custom totally hand fitted and tuned action with a the finest blue job ever used on a factory gun.
It required extensive Master fitter attention simply to assemble, then it received more hand fitting, smoothing and even bending of parts to tune to the best action.  Only the most experienced personnel were allowed to work on the Pythons.
The Python was famous for superior accuracy.  This was due to the old style Colt "Bank Vault" action and Colt's superior quality barrels.  The Python had a faster rifling that better stabilized the bullet and the bore was tapered toward the muzzle to grip the bullet better.
It's been discontinued and like discontinued sports cars they're worth more.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 12:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]

it depends on what you want to do with it.

BTW my python cost me a century cetme + 400. it is a shooter and was magna ported it is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

For a safe queen/ investment pythons are just not going to go up much higher.  Think about it this eway a nice SAA gen 3 is nearly the same price as a python now.  they have been near that price for 15 years or so I know the mafrket and have been collecting/ investing for over 20 years.   there are natural pauses at certain prices no matter the item for sale.  There are just so few people that will pay $3000 for a revolver they have no plans to shoot or even dry fire.

Even highly collectable guns like gew 43s seem to hover between 3500-5000 depending on condition and markings.  SO how much higher can a python go remember they have no historic value ...so a SAA gen 3 is a good compsrison.[

also original python grips are about $200 now and they feel like crap IMO

As far as a shooter if you can find one and swing it get it. the trigger feels amazing and feels much better than my pre 28 or my 2  27-5's.  however the python does not shoot much tighter groups than my n frames.  but the full lug and the porting on mine reduces muzzle flip significantly.  My python actually feels better than it shoots.the action is slick as polished glass and feels like A DREAM IN SA .... but just does not shoot that much better to justify the price.
I prefer my 27 & 28 over the python but my 686 mountain gun is my favorite I am also an k frame 357/22 addict.

I will say my 4"diamondback in 22lr is much more accurate and better shooting than any of my multiple S&W 17s & 18.

would I grab another python maybe but I would prefer another n frame smith. I think the one good thing about a collectable python today is that you could easily liquidate it for a small loss in a matter of hours. it may take a week or longer to sell other collectable guns.  Crazy as it sounds I think the real future of collector colt's line up is in complete snake gun collections you think a python is pricey try finding a viper or a boa which have no where near the fine tuned action.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice guns SD307

The pic of my revolver case is an old one, i have some additions since it was taken,  but you can see which brand i place my allegiance with ---   just one solitary , lonely Model 66 Smith in the top left corner

I started out shooting Colts , so to me , the Smith's feel weird ------ but other people have the exact opposite opinion  ------  if you have a big enough gun rental/range you can probably still get ahold of a Smith to shoot somewhere to check out for yourself --- doubtful many gun ranges would have a Colt to rent though

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

S&W 686
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#13]
OP-
When it comes to Smiths, 581s and 681s can still be found at reasonable prices. I believe they are the most underrated S&Ws.
If you want a pony, look at Trooper Mk IIIs.

My most recent .357 purchase was a like new 581 no dash for $430. No box or papers, but I got it to shoot, not collect.

That being said, I think the Pythons are worth whatever someone is willing to pay, as are the older Smiths.
Neither company will make 'em like that anymore.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you want a shooter or investment/safe queen?  

If you want a shooter get a 686.  Pythons are not perfect either.
View Quote

Best advice possible above. Heed it, IMO.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I would love to have a Python but for a shooter that will last a lifetime, I'll keep my 686-4

Dave N
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Give me a tuned up 586 / 686 every time.

I like to shoot.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm new to revolvers.  Is a Colt Python really worth 1500-3000 vs 500-900 for pinned/recessed Model 19s, Model 27s or 28s?  Is it just because Pythons are discontinued, or is there a performance/quality reason for the price disparity?
View Quote

If you have to ask you should go with the Smith.

Link Posted: 3/10/2014 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]
get a 686.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:07:50 AM EDT
[#19]
To me - no, but to others it seems so. That's why they make more than one revolver.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A great Shooter  without breaking the bank - S&W mods 19 , 28 etc. I have a 1976 target model s&w 19 that i love.
View Quote

And pre-lock S&W's have their own collectibility. So if you can find one in good shape, and don't abuse it, it will last you a lifetime and hold its value.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:16:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Smith & Wesson Model 27 or 586.  Pre lock of course.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:44:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Get a M&P R8 8 shot 357Mag

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Comparing the two is like comparing cars.  For the purpose for which they're intended, there may not be a big difference in the two, but they speak to people. Colts have always spoken to me, so I own a lot of them, and choose the Python over the Smith. When the price difference was $479 vs $359, it was easy to listen to your soul.  Now that it's $$2500 vs $700 for 80s versions, my soul has a different answer.  Listen to your heart, and I think you'll know immediately what's right for you.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Its like comparing a Corvette to a BMW.

Corvette - s&w

BMW - Colt Python

BMW will run like a champ but its maintenance and service as well as tuning are expensive and relatively frequent. But when they are running.. boy nothing like them.

The s&w on the other hand can get almost the same performance and entertainment value; just lacking some of the moxie. But it will keep going and going - parts and service are cheap.

Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

And pre-lock S&W's have their own collectibility. So if you can find one in good shape, and don't abuse it, it will last you a lifetime and hold its value.
View Quote

Exactly, Paid 525 OTD for it. One owner, he had it for 40years. Very minor holster wear.. pinned and recessed with one of the best trigger jobs ive ever felt. ALMOST as smooth as my brothers python.. almost.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a Colt Python since three decades. At that time i was a young man and had to make sacrifices to save up for the pre-owned revolver.

I wanted it and bought it. At that time, the python already cost almost double of what a S&W 27 did cost. I barely ever shoot it these days and find the ergonomics unattractive. I have well over a dozen of pre lock S&W revolvers and like a few of them more than others.

Altogether my s&W revolvers go to the range less often than my Korth. I do not regret having bought it and would not want to miss it and plan to shoot it.

If you want a gun and can afford it, get it and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

S&W 686
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

S&W 686

I love my 686 so much. It's a nice beefy frame. 158 grains are a pleasure to shoot. 125 grain Gold Dots have a little bark and flash but are still a lot of fun. Shooting .38 special felt like .22lr.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP-
When it comes to Smiths, 581s and 681s can still be found at reasonable prices. I believe they are the most underrated S&Ws.

My most recent .357 purchase was a like new 581 no dash for $430. No box or papers, but I got it to shoot, not collect.

That being said, I think the Pythons are worth whatever someone is willing to pay, as are the older Smiths.
View Quote

I'll add a couple of pennies to this; Smith & Wesson or Strum Ruger double action revolvers are better buys and there are still gunsmiths and parts readily available to repair your shooter.
But if one is looking for an 'ULTIMATE REVOLVER' the KORTH will blow any of these out of the water, PERIOD.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'll add a couple of pennies to this; Smith & Wesson or Strum Ruger double action revolvers are better buys and there are still gunsmiths and parts readily available to repair your shooter.
But if one is looking for an 'ULTIMATE REVOLVER' the KORTH will blow any of these out of the water, PERIOD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP-

If you want the ultimate priced revolver, the Korth will blow everything out of the water ---- that said, i would truly love to see an objective  comparison between a Python,  a Smith PErformance Center 357 (any frame size) , and a Korth,  even throw in a Manurhin while you're at it    ----- problem is, thats all subject to opinion as we will never see such a shootout
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#29]

I've had my python for a while now. It, like just about all of Colt's guns are a good investment. For a regular shooter get a nice k or L frame Smith. Oh yeah, don't take your Python to the range because everyone will want to handle it and shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, don't take your Python to the range because everyone will want to handle it and shoot it.
View Quote

I suspect video games make that worse. I think there is one in Call of Duty Black Ops, my kids have a thing for Pythons because of that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I love my Python!  

Link Posted: 3/14/2014 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#32]
The 686 is great but the Python is better, IMO.

The Python trigger is something special in single or double action mode.  

If you want a beater, get a Ruger.  If you want a revolver you are going to modify, get the S&W.  If you want a great revolver with a special trigger, get the Python.  

The King Cobra is NOT a Python.

The real question you face is this - can you buy a Python and actually use it?  I understand their price is fairly high ($2k - $3k).  If you won't use it to practice with because of the price, don't buy it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#33]
I recently cleaned up an old Python

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_33/146604_What_to_do_with_a_Corroded_Colt_Python.html

The internals were completely clean,   . . .  thankfully.

Side by side, my old ( tuned up ) S&W 19 was much much smoother.

I'll take the $400 S&W

I must admit....the COLT looks Cooler
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Colts were my first venture into wheelguns.
I've had a 4" and 6" Python, 4" Diamondback and 3" Detective Special.

I in the mid 80's I stumbled on a S&W Mod. 27 with 8 3/8" barrel and a Mod. 19 in 4" .
For some reason the S&Ws fit my hand better.

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#35]
To my knowledge S&W has never built a revolver that compares to the Python.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe not, but ya gotta admit, the better versions of the models 27, 19 and 29 are beautiful firearms to behold    blue or nickel --- awesome in their own way  (And i love Colt's)
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

I've shot several Pythons and while they are very nice wheel guns, beautiful actually, for actual hard or even regular use, to me, I'd prefer a nice 686.

For collector value, it obviously no contest, Python every time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#38]
for the money.. its hard to beat a classic smith

Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#39]
never really cared for the cylinder release on colts.

give me a smith or a ruger.

just my $.02.

clown

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I had a pair of Pythons and do not miss either.
My 627 performance center is a MUCH better shooting revolver IMHO.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#41]
never really cared for the cylinder release on colts.
View Quote

You're right. I've owned both, but have a lot more experience working on and shooting the smiths.
As for smoothness, from the factory, the Python was smoother hands down. But after it's been tuned by someone who knows what he's doing, the smith -- K,L, or N, can be smoother.
As I recall back when PPC was the rage in law enforcement, a lot of the stock shooters liked the Python because of the underlug barrel. But when the moved up into modified classes, you normally saw Smiths, such as were built by Royce Whittel.
Except for the money, you're still looking at a lot of Ford vs. Chevy. I've even known of guys who argued that all other things being equal, a right-handed person can hold a Python steadier, and a lefty a Smith because of the direction the cylinder turns.
However, in my opinion, for revolver competition, there isn't much better than a tuned 4 or 6 inch S&W 686. (Pre-lock of course)
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pfft Bullshit.  Try a pre 29 or a Registered Magnum.  Top shelf Smiths, i.e. Pre 29s, Pre 27s, Registered Magnums, manufactured before Smith discontinued their soft fitting department (around the same time when the model numbers were introduced) are just as smooth and hand fitted as any Python.

I've got Colts and Smiths but my preference is always S&W.

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you want a beater, get a Ruger.  If you want a revolver you are going to modify, get the S&W.  If you want a great revolver with a special trigger, get the Python.  

The real question you face is this - can you buy a Python and actually use it?  I understand their price is fairly high ($2k - $3k).  If you won't use it to practice with because of the price, don't buy it.
View Quote

If it truly was "better" they would still be produced....just saying.

As to a special trigger the Python has a longer DA trigger pull which some do not like ( myself included). The triggers on the old 4 or 5 screw S&W's is the gold standard for revolver triggers SA or DA.
If someone gave me a Python I would sell it and buy a S&W if you actually plan on firing it. If you want to collect it and not fire it the Python is "perfect".
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes -- they truly are better -- things like production methods and economies of scale are factors in why Colt no longer produces double action revolvers,  plus the price they would have to sell them for in today's market with the aforementioned production methods.   When the market moved away from revolvers , Colt said "screw it, we're making many times more money with our military contracts"  
   Colt lost their foothold in the 1911 market and their single action business is almost an afterthought now too

But, as has been said numerous times , Colt and S&W triggers are an apples and oranges comparison -- some people like apples better, some like oranges better
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Pfft Bullshit.  Try a pre 29 or a Registered Magnum.  Top shelf Smiths, i.e. Pre 29s, Pre 27s, Registered Magnums, manufactured before Smith discontinued their soft fitting department (around the same time when the model numbers were introduced) are just as smooth and hand fitted as any Python.

http://i.imgur.com/87iSRNS.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard the argument  "My S&W has a trigger just as smooth as the Python's" a thousand times over the years. But I have yet to hear a Python owner say "My Python has a trigger just as smooth as a S&W".
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I've heard the argument  "My S&W has a trigger just as smooth as the Python's" a thousand times over the years. But I have yet to hear a Python owner say "My Python has a trigger just as smooth as a S&W".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's because the Python was being touted as "the best" while far more S&W revolvers were in actual use and not hyping anything.

I cant recall any serious revolver competitions that Colt excelled over "other" revolvers. One of the nicest customs was the marriage of the Python barrel on a Ruger frame ( Couger ).
Other than the Python barrel profile I find nothing about the revolver that I like over S&W, Ruger , DW, etc.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#47]
I've owned several Pythons, but always felt they were a bit over rated.  the Pythons are great for collecting, but on average I never found them any more accurate than a S&W. I've always felt S&W's held up better than Colt revolvers for years of hard use.

Pythons bring the big prices because they don't make them anymore. A pre 64 Winchester Model 70 is an many ways inferior to many modern bolts (including newer 70's)  that sell for way less. The pre 64 guns bring the high prices mainly from collectors because they don't make them anymore, not because they are superior to newer rifles.  A Colt SAA is in many ways inferior to a modern Ruger or other single action revolvers, but they bring super high prices for collecting.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:03:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yes -- they truly are better -- things like production methods and economies of scale are factors in why Colt no longer produces double action revolvers,  
View Quote

That's questionable.

The Python is better in some ways. But the Smiths are better in others.

It is a matter of supply and demand, like always. Pythons and Smiths both have high demand, but Pythons also have low supply.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I always get a giggle out of these threads because they bring out the 'good enough' crowd. By that I mean everyone want's to chime in that their favorite American made revolver is 'good enough' to be compared to a Python.  If that were the case then that well used 19-27-28-586-686 would be fetching over $1k on Gunbroker. Well that just ain't happening. Pythons are worth what they are worth because for whatever matrix you want to measure them by, people are willing to pay more for them. It 's just that simple.

I will say this, nothing beats the feel of the Python action as you thumb it through it's single action stage. I have two Pythons, and four S&W's. I've fired over 3k rounds through several of these revolvers in bullseye matches. The rougher of the two Colts is equally smooth compared to my heavily worked on 27-2. Before I got the M27, I had over 1k worth of rounds through the smoother of my Pythons. My M27 is an excellent revolver, but it just doesn't have the overall smoothness of the Colt, nor does it lock up as tight.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I've always felt S&W's held up better than Colt revolvers for years of hard use.
View Quote
A gunsmith I know has said that is so (now he is a S&W armorer). I think the Python has the better single action trigger but don't care for the double action.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top