Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2011 1:24:37 PM EDT
does anybody have any experience with these pistols?  up  until this past weekend, i had never heard of them.  i came into this one, mostly because the price was right :D

on the left side of the barrel is "ROHM GMBH SONTHEIM/BRZ." under that is "MOD. 38 S CAL .38 SPECIAL"  on the right side of the barrel is "MADE IN GERMANY"  the right side of the frame has the serial number and some import marks.  on the left side of the frame, right under the pin that holds the barrel on is the number 75 with a circle around it.  

i read some mixed reviews about them on another forum.  however, most of the reviews seemed to be based on the ones that were made in Florida.  i'm trying to figure out exactly what i have here.  is it a saturday night special, or a decent revolver to plink around with?  i haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.  oh, and does anybody know where i can find some grips for it?  if i can't find some, i think i'll try to make my own.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Rohm made a variety of inexpensive revolvers.  Yes, they did make some "saturday night specials".  Consider your Rohm as a plinker.  I would first have a qualified gunsmith check it out for safety reasons.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
i acquired it from a certified gunsmith, he said it was safe.  

there's a gun show this weekend.  if i can't find any grips there, i think dad and i can make a pair that's decent enough for it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I aquired a bucket of old guns a year or so ago, of which there was one of those.
Out of all of 'em, it was the star of the show...amazed me !
I since picked up another complete one for $5 (with grips) minus the cylinder assembly and am casually looking around for one.
There was imported a bunch of .22s, even a .22 short model from that maker that were very low quality, but seemed to work.
I recall the original grips were of brown plastic.
Wear a glove & fire it to verify if it's worth finding or making a set of grips for it.

glad to hear somebody else has one of these.  i still haven't had a chance to go to the range, but dad and i got bored the other day and started making some grips for it.  they're about half finished, and so far i think they look great.  way too nice to be on such a pistol.  i'll post a picture of it once we finish them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2011 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a bunch of cheap guns from law enforcement auctions many years ago, among it were two .38 Special Roehm revolvers. The better one had a swing out cylinder. HKS 10A speedloaders worked in it and I was young and sassy; I took it to a social steel match at the gun club. I did not come in among the last ones. However, even if the gun performed okay, I did not trust the quality to last long with my falling plate addiction, I used it and a CZ27 to get yet another S&W M19.

That M19 is now my oldest son's treasured range revolver, so the Roehm served me well - as a trade-in.

Check the lock up before you shoot it; it's a weak part of the design.
Link Posted: 1/16/2011 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
does anybody have any experience with these pistols?  up  until this past weekend, i had never heard of them.  i came into this one, mostly because the price was right :D

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/newaccordguy/HPIM1096.jpg

on the left side of the barrel is "ROHM GMBH SONTHEIM/BRZ." under that is "MOD. 38 S CAL .38 SPECIAL"  on the right side of the barrel is "MADE IN GERMANY"  the right side of the frame has the serial number and some import marks.  on the left side of the frame, right under the pin that holds the barrel on is the number 75 with a circle around it.  

i read some mixed reviews about them on another forum.  however, most of the reviews seemed to be based on the ones that were made in Florida.  i'm trying to figure out exactly what i have here.  is it a saturday night special, or a decent revolver to plink around with?  i haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.  oh, and does anybody know where i can find some grips for it?  if i can't find some, i think i'll try to make my own.

"Saturday Night Special!!??!!!" WTF is a "Saturday Night Special!?!" We've been trying for years to make that unreal moniker go away! Define "Saturday Night Special." This revolver is exactly the same in every respect except quality as a K frame Smith, so where do you draw the line between a "viable" revolver and a "Saturday Night Special?"
I've been having this argument since GCA'68, and will be glad when the non-gun lobby gives up on arbitrarily giving values to guns. We don't need to be helping them keep a fallacy alive.  Sorry for the rant, I feel better now. Mike
Link Posted: 1/18/2011 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/newaccordguy/HPIM1096.jpg

"Saturday Night Special!!??!!!" WTF is a "Saturday Night Special!?!" We've been trying for years to make that unreal moniker go away! Define "Saturday Night Special." This revolver is exactly the same in every respect except quality as a K frame Smith, so where do you draw the line between a "viable" revolver and a "Saturday Night Special?"
I've been having this argument since GCA'68, and will be glad when the non-gun lobby gives up on arbitrarily giving values to guns. We don't need to be helping them keep a fallacy alive.  Sorry for the rant, I feel better now. Mike

glad you feel better.  didn't mean to strike a nerve.  i see what you're getting at though.

dad's been working on the grips a little here and there.  I'm hoping by this weekend we can finish them up and i can finally shoot this pistol.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Now that I've bit my foot off, again, I had one of these revolvers back in the 60's. It wasn't pretty, and it obviously wasn't as smooth as my cousin's S&W Mod 15, but Gary was really frustrated that on our impromptu 25 yd. range the Rhom would group as well as his S&W.
I don't think I would put any heavy handloads in it though.
Have fun with it, use it for trading fodder when you are ready to move up. Here in the South, you will run across a lot of these little revolvers in tackle boxes, and pickup truck tool boxes. Does it's job, and you don't have to worry about beating up a $400 revolver.
My apologies again for the rant, the 70's and 80's were tough times in America for gun lovers, and I worry that after the latest events, may be again.
Show us your grips when you get them the way you want them. Mike
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
i finally got to shoot this little gun today.  the grips still aren't finished, so i slapped on a pair of gloves and did what i could.  i only had time for half a box of ammo.  it shot great, although it grouped a little high.  once the grips are finished i'll give it a proper run through.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:57:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool!
You don't have much for sights there, and my guess is that they are set for the old standard 158 gr. lead round nose loading that was the most common .38 Spl. round for a million years.
You're going to have way more fun out of this gun than what you paid for it. Mike  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top