Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
2/23/2017 5:55:53 PM
Posted: 10/10/2001 6:14:46 PM EST
Is it just me or is the gp100 probably the best home defense and one of the nicest .357's around. I recommend them to any first time buyer looking for a home defense piece. Shoot the .38's for practice and .357's for protection. Simple to operate and easy to maintain..For the record i hate ruger autos but thier revolvers are great..
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:17:25 PM EST
Even though poltically incorrect I prefer the S&W 686 and 685 for the home.Can't argue with the Ruger though,it is solid as an anvil.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:49:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2001 10:44:18 PM EST by alfajim]

Originally Posted By vortac:
Is it just me or is the gp100 probably the best home defense and one of the nicest .357's around. I recommend them to any first time buyer looking for a home defense piece. Shoot the .38's for practice and .357's for protection. Simple to operate and easy to maintain..For the record i hate ruger autos but thier revolvers are great..

I would have to agree mine has the finger grip rose wood grips very nice pistol. I shot a friends semiauto and did not like it . In my opinion any semiauto that rattles when you shake it will never make it into my safe.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:05:14 AM EST
The GP100 is a bit heavier than the 686, which can be a pro or con depending on personal preference. I like it's grip better than the Smith, but I like the action of the Smith. If you go to the 686+, now you're talking
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:35:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:30:50 AM EST
Yep, GP 100 all the way. Owned one for several years. Most of my friends have them as well. Best factory grips on the market. Accurate. Built like a brick, eh, house. Yes, triggers sometimes need tuning, but most guns on the market today need that.

Link Posted: 10/14/2001 11:40:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By vortac:

Snob I have owned and used Ruger P-series for years. They are accurate and NEVER malfunction. I have Sigs too, but dollar for dollar, the Rugers are great. Have you ever owned a Ruger P-series?
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:18:54 PM EST
i have owned several p,s over the years....and only have 2good day's with them ....the first&
the last.......i always pinch the extra mag when
they leave..........gp100's and blackhawks are diffrent wife says i have a blackhawk hotel they
come in and stay....
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 1:30:55 PM EST
i agree with the blackhawk. i still have mine and it was my first handgun..what a chunk of solid steel..i love it..
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 12:33:54 PM EST
Larryg..yes i had a p89 and for the last two years had one of the more modern p series in my safe as a reserve deputy friend of mine was stationed in turkey for his last two years of air force service..i have a lot of rounds thru them and as a firearms instructor for a major l.e. agency i can tell you they don't turn over the kind of scores the other pistols do.(we allow smith, sig,h&k,beretta,glock,and ruger)

And it's not just the shooters..i'm going on averages..the same friend who's ruger i was babysitting just traded it in on a sig .45 and went from someone who could barely qualify to shooting at the expert level. I have shot his gun and it's accuracy sucked..I also have deputies that have had work done to thiers and even a few that have had luck out of the box but after as many as i have seen that don't work like i'd like them too..i would't buy another one.
Top Top