Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2001 3:27:20 PM EDT
Regarding Ruger autoloading pistols, specifically touting the P97DC;

Some people in the GP100 portion of this forum don't like Ruger autoloaders; I can understand a general distrust of autoloaders in general.  They fail to function correctly, far more so than a S&W Model 19 or Ruger GP100, but as far as I can tell, there is nothing specific to Ruger's recent pistols that should malign them.  Groups shot from the p97dc have been just as small as any I've seen shot with a production Glock 30.  Most .45 ACP pistols are challenging to shoot well, but Ruger's 97 series is good to go.  Who cares about whether a piece rattles, M16's rattle, so do most combat ready firearms.  Rattle free, "tight", weapons have their place at the range, but not in the grimy reality of practical carry rigs.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My Ruger P90 kicks ass.  It always goes bang and is probably more accurate than I am.  For $300, it was a good buy.

Live Free
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I just sold my P89 to get my G17. It was a very accurate and reliable pistol. It definitely was a good and inexpensive way into learning about the 9mm for me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a kp95 and love it. With the ruger rebate, I only paid $250. It's accurate and reliable. Even Massad Ayoob (spelling?) loves ruger autoloaders. Appearantly, he has parked suv's on the 95 and they still function perfectly. Simply put, RUGER ROCKS!
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont think ruger has made a unreliable gun?
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had 2 P90's in .45 the first one the psyco ex-girlfriend stole after the breakup (Whoops shouldnt have taught her to shoot!) and the second a P90DC I bought to replace it shortly thereafter (93) and hasnt had a single hiccup ever despite hundreds if not thousands of rounds accuracy I cant speak too HG's arent my thing really and I look upon it as the last stand close in weapon but for what I use it for it does fine.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone ever have to replace rear sight on a p90 because of shooting low?

Mine seems to shoot low? I can pick up my wife's .38 Airweight and put all five in the head of the silhouette at 25 yds.

Pick mine up and go for the head shot and they end up in the chest?

da or sa

Link Posted: 11/22/2001 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Most people over on the AR-15 forums don't think too highly of the Mini-14 or Mini-30. Mostly it's accuracy issues or magazine problems. Also the old .44M Deerfield was pulled from production in the 70s due to reliability issues (the only Ruger firearm pulled from production). Recently the .44 Deerfield has made a comeback.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]
My P97 works great.  I would carry it on a daily basis just as soon as I would any other brand.  Some think that a pistol must be expensive to be good (read Glock), but this pistol is as reliable and accurate as any.  My only complaint with the Ruger autoloaders is the hammer.  It's hard to reach with your thumb to cock.  I wish they would make it more like a 1911 hammer.  Incidentally, having a hammer is one of several reasons why I prefer just about anything over a Glock or an HS2000/SA Xtreme Duty and I won't buy anything that uses the name Xtreme/extreme in the name, as that is an overused GenX term.  Anal, ain't I.
Link Posted: 11/24/2001 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most people over on the AR-15 forums don't think too highly of the Mini-14 or Mini-30. Mostly it's accuracy issues or magazine problems. Also the old .44M Deerfield was pulled from production in the 70s due to reliability issues (the only Ruger firearm pulled from production). Recently the .44 Deerfield has made a comeback.

I own a bunch of AR's and one Mini14.  It is very reliable and a damn better option for those in Kali where all you can get new are bastardized AR's that you have load with stripper clips, etc.  As for mags, I have never had a problem with Ruger mags and the Ramline combo mags.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up a P97 for CCW. It's a bit hefty, but still a hell of a gun. Any suggestions for carrying a large frame concealed?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top