Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2017 7:47:53 PM EDT
For those that have detail stripped their P89 frame or at least removed the magazine release/latch spring, how did you do it? I looked all over the net and found some pics from one guy who had great good pics, but he never stated how he removed the spring/magazine release on the left side. I purchased a used pistol and am having the frame refinished, as it is pretty warn being a police trade in. I finally wound up cutting the spring with my dremel and just ordered another spring.  I like action of the magazine release but it also has got to be the worst design (internally)I have ever seen. I like the pistol overall as they are built to last and recoil is all but nil.

Finally fixed it. The magazine release is a pain in the rear. You have to tap it in there with a dowel as the mag. release spring makes it no easy task. Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't see any pictures but, this write up seems good
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I found that one as well but it did not say how to remove the the left side of the release. That joker was in there but the dremel saved me from throwing it across the house.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been a while, but here goes, IIRC. Take the stocks off and you will see the back side of the spring pushing on the two magazine release pieces, one coming from the left and one coming from the right. Take a screwdriver or something and push the spring towards the front of the gun while tipping it back and forth. You'll probably have to push the spring in pretty hard. I can't remember which side is supposed to come out first, but one side should drop out when you get the spring tension off, then the other side should fall out. You may have to shake the pieces out while pushing the spring. It is kind of a pain in the ass and it would be good to have 3 hands, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too hard. IMHO, it is one of the better designs for an ambi mag release and works well but is a PITA to take apart.

Bub75
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I took mine apart and got it back together.

Once!

You can bet I won't try that again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top