Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2017 5:45:27 PM EDT
Now that this has been on the market for a while now, anybody with any positive/negative experiences?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple, one stock, one with a trigger modification to shorten the reset.

I'm around 2000rnds through the modified gun and 500 through the stock gun.

Both have been 100% reliable, both are more accurate than the guy pulling the trigger.

Stock the trigger is better than any stock glock or xd trigger.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been looking at .45 compacts...and the Pro model seems to be a pretty good pistol from all the reviews I've read.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#3]
My friend has a full size 45.

I never shot it but he says it is very pleasant to shoot, accurate (he's not a very good shot), no stoppages in the probably 250 rds through it.

Major problem, he managed to assemble it wrong and locked the slide up with the takedown pin fully inserted. Can't rack the slide, can't move the lever. He sent it back on ruger's dime. We'll see what happens with it. Obviously this isn't much fault of the product, but the user being stupid.

I didn't get to play with it for more than a minute before I had to go, so maybe the problem is fixable by an experienced user. In that minute I also wasn't trying to force anything more than I could do with my own hands.

To me the grip felt nice and ergonomic, seemed of very high quality for its price range.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I decided to take the plunge and ordered one of the full size 9mm versions from Grabagun ($347 shipped).
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got a chance to try one of these.

Sorta want.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife has a full sized Pro in 9mm, her first centerfire handgun. So far she has about 200 rds through it, and hasn't had an problems. Even with her shooting it, accuracy has been very good. I've had the chance to fire a couple of mags, points very naturally for me and very comfortable in my hand. If I was in the market for a new carry piece, I'd give the compact a good look.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have...one with a trigger modification to shorten the reset.
View Quote
What did you do to shorten the reset?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Melvin, I read your review on that initial one you got a awhile back. Was looking at getting a .45 and wanted something a little different from all the Glock's I've got. Was thinking this, the 1911, or the P320. Have you shot any of those and how do they stack up vs the American?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Melvin, I read your review on that initial one you got a awhile back. Was looking at getting a .45 and wanted something a little different from all the Glock's I've got. Was thinking this, the 1911, or the P320. Have you shot any of those and how do they stack up vs the American?
View Quote
I like Ruger's line of 1911 pistols and wouldn't have any problem recommending one of those to you. They might not be the fanciest pistols on the market but they do a good job of combining features with price.

I haven't shot the Sig 320 in 45 ACP but I have shot them in 9 millimeter and 40 Smith & Wesson. I prefer the 320 to the American and would recommend the Sig over the Ruger if these were your two choices. The SIG trigger is better. The ergonomics are better.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I had one, zero problems, sold it to a lady.    Accurate as a Glock, reliable and easy to take care of.    

The "small" grip size is real small and was easy for her to hold with her small hands, and the cuts on the slide aggressive enough for her to easily rack the slide.    In my opinion, it is a great large capacity pistol for someone with small hands.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:24:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I won't post the link but there is a steal of a deal on Gunbroker for a Pro Duty model.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#12]
AFter shooting one a few times I preferred the SR9 and 9E over it just for overall feel.  The grip felt better in my hand and it felt lighter.  YMMV though.  I had no reliability issues with it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Wasn't really looking for a EDC but a LGS had the 9mm compact on sale last week so I jumped. A little on the heavy side so I won't be carrying it much but there are times that having a few more rounds available would be reassuring so it'll work great for that. Between last weekend and today I put a little over 100 rounds of FMJ through it along with a box of +P Golden Sabers. Ran 100%, accuracy was quite acceptable for a defensive pistol, and even with the +P recoil was surprisingly light.
Wife had hers out also and ran another 50 or so rounds, it again was 100%.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the Pro Duty model and screwed up when I attempted to switch out the grip from a LG to a Med. The screw doesn't screw and unscrew. It's a 1/4 turn then you perform another act to slide the grip off. God that sucked. Hoping to shoot it before the end of the week.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had 2 320s and now have 4 Americans.  My Americans shot considerably more accurate than did my 320s.  I love the ergonomics of the American and I like the trigger better.  IMO, the 320s have bit of a bounce after the trigger breaks that effect the accuracy of the gun.  Having owned both that is just my consensus for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#16]
The American does have a pretty crisp trigger for a duty-type handgun although I find the trigger reset to be too long.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top