Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2017 5:13:07 PM EDT
Just bought a new LCP II as a pocket carry for the upcoming summer months.

Shot it at the range for the first time today.

From the outset, with each shot, the magazine would drop partially and fail to feed.  At first, I thought I was inadvertently depressing the mag release with each shot.  But, it occurred with either hand, even when I was taking care to make sure I wasn't hitting the release.  Happened with both S&B round-nose FMJ practice rounds and Critical Defense carry ammo.  

Had to tap and rack after each shot.  Not very practical for personal protection.

It seemed to occur less often when only one or two rounds remained in the magazine.

Has anybody experienced this situation with this handgun?  I'm calling Ruger Monday morning; but wanted to get some perspective from other users.

Very disappointed - was really looking forward to convenient pocket carry this summer.  Guess it's back to my Shield IWB...
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
U might read that sounds like some of the mag baseplates are a little to thick...

little ways down they talk about it...
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
So that you know where I'm coming from, I'm trying to love ruger. I own several, have bought/traded for several. That said, I've had to send a most every one back. First was an SR22.  Mag disconnect or something.  Mini 14 Tactical. 581 prefix. The whole reciever was crooked.  American predator .223. Replaced the entire bolt assembly... Their QC sucks as of late.  Send it back. Great CS reps. Quick turnaround for me.

Fyi... most accurate .270 I've ever owned was an American digital camo 270. Sub moa with a cheap scope and Rem. Corelokt ammo... 230gr.  Crazy!!!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just bought a new LCP II as a pocket carry for the upcoming summer months.

Shot it at the range for the first time today.

From the outset, with each shot, the magazine would drop partially and fail to feed.  At first, I thought I was inadvertently depressing the mag release with each shot.  But, it occurred with either hand, even when I was taking care to make sure I wasn't hitting the release.  Happened with both S&B round-nose FMJ practice rounds and Critical Defense carry ammo.  

Had to tap and rack after each shot.  Not very practical for personal protection.

It seemed to occur less often when only one or two rounds remained in the magazine.

Has anybody experienced this situation with this handgun?  I'm calling Ruger Monday morning; but wanted to get some perspective from other users.

Very disappointed - was really looking forward to convenient pocket carry this summer.  Guess it's back to my Shield IWB...
View Quote

I think everyone would agree the pistol is not functioning properly.  What were the results with a different magazine?

If all the magazines are producing the same error, then I would do exactly as you did and send it in to Ruger.  A brand new firearm should be fixed by Ruger at no cost to you.  

From what others have posted it appears there can be an issue with some magazine floorplates not allowing the magazine catch to fully engage.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Contacted Ruger.
Received RA # and prepaid FedEx to return for repair.
Just got it back a week and a half later.
Packing slip says that magazine catch spring was replaced and then test fired with 24 rounds without problem.
Will test it myself at the range tomorrow.
Frustrated at the out of box defect; but pleased with the service and support...
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#5]
As someone that just picked up a LCP II today I am curious what your results are.

I go to shoot mine tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought one, too.  Have not shot it yet.  Has anyone else noticed that the mag says "Made in Italy," but is stamped with Ruger logo, too.  I found that interesting.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just bought one, too.  Have not shot it yet.  Has anyone else noticed that the mag says "Made in Italy," but is stamped with Ruger logo, too.  I found that interesting.
View Quote
I suspect they are make to a spec by MecGar. MecGar makes high quality magazines and they make them for a lot of companies outright. In fact most CZ-75 magazines are made by MecGar with nothing at all different except the CZ ones are stamped CZ.

I took my LCP II to the range and it had 8 malfunctions in the 80 rounds I put through it. I contacted Ruger and they emailed me a shipping label to return it. Tracking is showing it should arrive to their factory tomorrow. I am not feeling optimistic about this.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Hang in there.  

I took mine to the range and ran a box of factory reloads through it. Atlanta Arms.  The bullets had flattened noses like the new Sig ball ammo.  I had about 5 failures to feed out of the box.  Then I ran 25 Critical Defense through it.  No problem.  

The next day I ran 100 round nose 100 grain bullets through it. Onpoint by Source Munitions.  No problems.  Then another 15 Critical Defense.  No problem.

I think the pistol is slightly ammo sensitive and I will keep working with it.  But I'm pretty convinced that it will feed Critical Defense in an emergency.

Has anyone else noticed that Kel-Tec mags are made in Italy, too?  And they fit and lock into the LCPII.  I have not tried to see if they work yet.  More concerned with perfecting "out of the holster functionality."
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry that happened. Once you get it running you will be glad to have it.

I have two LCP IIs and 500 rounds through each without failures.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep.  I've taken it to the range a few more times now. No failures of any kind.  I apparently just picked the wrong (flat nosed) ammo the first time out.  Very happy with the pistol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I am keeping mine stock with the following modification.  I took a hint from the video below and highlighted the front sight and the hammer (so that there is a cocking indicator).  Except I used white-out in the office which is a very bright flat white and really shows up.

Ruger LCP ii Cocking Indicator Hack

Critical Defense's bright nickel casing makes it very easy to verify that one is in the chamber when you look through the gap in front of the extractor.  Between that and the "cocking indicator," you know you are good to go.

And while the pistol is perfect for pocket carry with the included soft holster, I got an AIWB holster from Concealment Express which is perfect for when I might want quicker, cleaner accessibility.

https://www.concealmentexpress.com/collections/top-sellers/products/ruger-lcp-ii-iwb-kydex-holster?variant=34320246531
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Update:

got my LCPII back from Ruger repair.  Paperwork says they replaced the magazine catch spring.  They test fired 20+ without problem.
Unfortunately, the magazine is still ejecting when I fire my normal left-handed grip.  The recoil must be pushing the magazine button into my left hand and activating the release?
Found a youtube video of a right-handed owner that was having a similar issue from his right thumb.  He recommended adding Talon grip tape to the grip to prevent his right thumb from slipping down onto the mag release during recoil.
Rapidly losing confidence in this gun...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Update:

got my LCPII back from Ruger repair.  Paperwork says they replaced the magazine catch spring.  They test fired 20+ without problem.
Unfortunately, the magazine is still ejecting when I fire my normal left-handed grip.  The recoil must be pushing the magazine button into my left hand and activating the release?
Found a youtube video of a right-handed owner that was having a similar issue from his right thumb.  He recommended adding Talon grip tape to the grip to prevent his right thumb from slipping down onto the mag release during recoil.
View Quote
Is the Mag catch metal or polymer?

I'm lefty and I've always lowered the mag catches n my Glocks and KelTecs to prevent accidental release.

Using your index finger, you push directly inward so deliberate activation is GTG even at speed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#15]
the magazine release button appears to be metal.  
And a bit proud, too...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Sucks to hear. I would put a super strong mag release spring in there. I have always preferred a heel type release like on the Rohrbaugh or the original PPS paddle style on a pocket gun as those are near impossible to accidentaly hit in the pocket or while shooting, unfortunately they arent very popular.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Update:

View Quote
Did you send the mag you are using back to Ruger with the pistol?  And which floorplate are you using, the flat one or the one with the finger rest?

I found that the flat floor plate on at least one of my mags would not allow the mag to seat properly so I went back to the one with the finger rest which is fine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#18]
My LCP II is back at Ruger for a second time so they can fix it as the first time they did something it still didn't work.

I bought a Glock 42 in the mean time which has worked perfectly out of the box so I'm going to sell my Ruger whenever it gets back from Ruger.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, I sent the mag back to Ruger.  It was well seated.  
When I first purchased it, I could not seat the magazine without depressing the release. Using the extended base plate for better grip...
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#20]
So far mine has run great with Monarch steel and Hornady Custom XTP.
I'm really impressed with the accuracy.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#21]
My LCP II came back from the factory for the second time friday. I finally shot it again today. 35 rounds still had two malfunctions. I'm calling them again tomorrow. I don't know wtf is going on at this point.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 2:47:10 AM EDT
[#22]
mine has run fine with 100 rounds of winchester white box with the flat nose, seems to shoot to the left though
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I love my LCPII.  I think they hit a home run!  Never failed me and accurate!
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#24]
My gun ended up going back to Ruger a 4th time and they gave me the option of completely replacing the gun or getting a check for the price I paid for the gun; either way the one I sent them was going to get destroyed. I chose option B and walked away from it. Would not recommend. Tiny guns are ammo sensitive for sure but a gun you can't trust to get through a single magazine is a bit failure.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Have both the lcp and lcp2. 100% for me, never a problem. Bought both used.
Link Posted: 12/1/2017 12:54:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I had this issue shooting the gun one handed, pretty sure the recoil drove my thumb into the release.  The mag release spring is not very stiff.  I had a similar issue with a 938 except that my death grip against the poorly angled pinky extension would force the mag out under recoil.  I clipped a 1911 mag release spring to increase the tension and it fixed that issue.

Other LCP II issue I have, the gun shoots ridiculously low and left with the sights.  Inside of 12 feet, I can shoot more accurately ignoring the sights.  I am tempted to grind off the sights with my belt sander.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks like I should just keep my ElsiePea gen 1 around
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#28]
FWIW I had an LC9S for a while and at the time there was an issue with mags dropping. Based on reports the mags marked 'made in italy' (MecGars) didn't do it, the non-marked mags did.

The problem was mag catches out of spec. A new mag catch fixed it, but there was no way to tell when ordering mags if they were 'made in italy' or not. Online dealers either didn't know or weren't telling which kind they had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top