Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2017 5:52:55 PM EDT
just got the hunter model.

weather & high winds keeping me home for a while.

is it o.k. to dry fire this gun without damage?
I want to try out the trigger pull.

didn't see anything in the manual warning against it.

thanks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
This was in another forum:

From the Ruger website:

Yes. The Mark III has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from contacting the rear of the barrel and damaging the edge of the chamber. If you are going to dry fire the pistol extensively, the stop pin and firing pin will eventually wear and contact could occur, and we recommend replacing both the firing pin and the firing pin stop from time to time. You should also monitor the contact of the firing pin with the rear of the barrel.
View Quote

So dry firing should be OK is you don't make a practice of it.

Out of the box, the Mark IV has a very heavy and rough trigger pull. Part of this is due to the elaborate magazine disconnector that wraps around the hammer, and part is due to a spur on the trigger itself that pushes on the top of the magazine as the trigger is pulled.  You need to get rid of the magazine disconnector and substitute either a Mark II hammer or a Mark III hammer with a Tandemkross spacer bushing, and replace the trigger and sear with target components from Volquartsen or Clark (I personally prefer the Clark trigger and the Volquartsen sear). (A bit of fitting may be required.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top