Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2017 10:11:07 PM EDT
I screwed my spectre 2 onto a Ruger SR22 and the alignment was so bad I couldn't even get the alignment rod fully into the barrel

Tried another spectre and same thing

I can't tell if it's the factory thread adapter, the barrel, or both. From closely looking at it I can see a partial gap between the thread adapter and barrel even when tightened down

I thought about ordering a better thread adapter but without knowing if that's the problem I'm somewhat hesitant.

I supposed I should send it back but I hate the wait

What kind of turnaround have others experienced with Ruger?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Ruger replaced a broken bolt cocking lug on my Ruger Precision Rifle door to door in eight days earlier this summer at the height of the Ruger Precision Rifle craziness.

My only issue with them was when I called to check status with them on day 7 they said it should be another two or three days.

Turns out they shipped it the day before. Other than that I was happy with the service. Provided me with a shipping label and sent it right back to my door.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I had the same problem with my sr22.  The dealer display model had the same problem too.

The dealer offered to handle the return to Ruger for me but Fedex lost the pistol before it made it back to Ruger.  Ruger replaced the pistol and made sure the replacement was correct.

Definitely don't try to order new parts.  Just send the pistol back.  Ruger uses a non standard thread pitch on the barrel and Ruger is the only one to offer parts.  

The problem seems to be the adapter tightens down on the ends of the threads instead of against the shoulder of the barrel.  Hard to say if the problem is with the length of the barrel shoulder or the length of the threads on the barrel or the adapter being too short.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same problem and Ruger paid for shipping back.  I want to say turnaround was a little over a week, and the fix was perfect.

William
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had the same problem and Ruger paid for shipping back.  I want to say turnaround was a little over a week, and the fix was perfect.

William
View Quote

They just told me that since the serial number shows it was manufactured over 2 years ago that I will have to pay to ship it to them.

I was surprised and asked if this normal since it is obviously a manufacturers defect. She said yes

So right now I'm considering getting out the bandsaw.

The thread job is atrocious, I could likely do better with a dremel.

Considering selling it to someone who doesn't intend to use a suppressor since I have other .22 pistols I like better anyway

I had a Ruger American .22 compact put back for me that I was going to pick up next week. I think I'm going to forego that purchase and put the funds toward some suppressor mounts I want
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Note that in the pictures with the alignment rod the rod is actually bending in order to clear the end cap. With the end cap and baffles removed the rod is completely outside of the bore line
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen a couple instances of this exact issue on the web now that I searched.

I wonder how many of these pistols are screwed up and no one notices because they don't shoot suppressed. I wonder how many people who do shoot them suppressed had a baffle strike
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
get new barrel from twintech tactical, mine shoots better than factory barrel
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#8]
My SR9 had the infamous barrel peening issue that started to cause problems at about 2,000 rounds.

Called them Thursday, shipped it on a Friday, the next week I had it back on Friday with a new barrel that they hand fitted along with a new striker spring and plunger spring since the trigger pull had lightened over time. I have about 1,500 rounds through the new barrel and there are no signs of peening.

TL;DR: Call them and let them fix it

ETA, I did pay for shipping but it fit in a flat rate box so shipping was cheap.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My SR9 had the infamous barrel peening issue that started to cause problems at about 2,000 rounds.

Called them Thursday, shipped it on a Friday, the next week I had it back on Friday with a new barrel that they hand fitted along with a new striker spring and plunger spring since the trigger pull had lightened over time. I have about 1,500 rounds through the new barrel and there are no signs of peening.

TL;DR: Call them and let them fix it

ETA, I did pay for shipping but it fit in a flat rate box so shipping was cheap.
View Quote

They told me I have to hand it to UPS personally, as in either schedule a pick-up or take it to a UPS hub
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Update:  So I cleaned the gun and sent it in. I received it back dirty with a slip that said:

"Threads within spec. Test fired 10 rounds to verify function. Please accept this complimentary cleaning cloth as a gift"

I'm very excited about the cleaning cloth. I can use it to clean this piece of shit SR22 that was already clean when I sent it to them. Once it's clean again maybe I'll melt in into slag for a paperweight. At least then it will be usefull

Bunch of morans
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Update:  So I cleaned the gun and sent it in. I received it back dirty with a slip that said:

"Threads within spec. Test fired 10 rounds to verify function. Please accept this complimentary cleaning cloth as a gift"

I'm very excited about the cleaning cloth. I can use it to clean this piece of shit SR22 that was already clean when I sent it to them. Once it's clean again maybe I'll melt in into slag for a paperweight. At least then it will be usefull

Bunch of morans
View Quote
You really should call them back and ask to speak to a supervisor.......

Your whole experience has been fubard in comparison to ~virtually everyone else i've ever heard of.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You really should call them back and ask to speak to a supervisor.......

Your whole experience has been fubard in comparison to ~virtually everyone else i've ever heard of.
View Quote
Called back. They're sending me a barrel

That fixes the problem but it's still been one big jerk-around

From the initial call where I was asked if my suppressor was "aftermarket", to driving to a UPS hub, to taking the day off to wait for FedEx, it's been a PITA. So now they can just mail me a barrel

I asked the guy on the phone (who again suggested I might have the wrong thread pitch) if they even looked at the pictures I sent.in my initial email.
He put me on hold then came back on and said "we'll send a barrel out today"

So yeah, my experience doesn't quite match up with everybody else great experiences with Ruger CS
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Called back. They're sending me a barrel

That fixes the problem but it's still been one big jerk-around

From the initial call where I was asked if my suppressor was "aftermarket", to driving to a UPS hub, to taking the day off to wait for FedEx, it's been a PITA. So now they can just mail me a barrel

I asked the guy on the phone (who again suggested I might have the wrong thread pitch) if they even looked at the pictures I sent.in my initial email.
He put me on hold then came back on and said "we'll send a barrel out today"

So yeah, my experience doesn't quite match up with everybody else great experiences with Ruger CS
View Quote
Oh you got every right to be pissed Don't blame you at all.

That said my experience with Remington on a brand new marine magnum was worse

I still own a couple remington shotguns but they will never get any New gun money from me again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top