Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 3:54:05 PM EDT
I filled out the online "Write The CEO" link at the bottom of Ruger's website.
Looks like I wasn't the only one wanting this.

Side bar of "Coming Soon" articles on Real Guns shows a teaser link for an eight-shot .357 Redhawk.

Cool beans.

Two Articles are now up.
Part 1
http://www.realguns.com/articles/870.htm

Part 2
http://www.realguns.com/articles/871.htm

I hope barrel length is 7.5", and it's in stainless.
I would still be happy with 5.5", I suppose.
No 4.2", please.
(2.75" is the first offering.  Hopefully longer lengths will follow.)

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be interesting to see if it makes any inroads into USPSA Revolver division.  S&W has dominated that division since its inception and with the rule change in 2014 S&W became the only competitive brand in Revolver Division.  Will be interesting to see how long a moonclip version/conversion and moonclips take to hit the market.  I would bet TK Custom is already working on it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
From Ed Head's facebook page.

Best,
JBRAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
That only looks like a 2-2.5 inch barrel.  Hope they do a longer version.  I personally would like a 5-inch version.

And flutes; fluteless cylinder look silly.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah...snub is not on my want list.  Full size, please, Ruger.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
oh my! 4 or 5 inch barrel please! I like the look of an unfitted cylinder.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome looking revolver.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Hopefully a Match Champion version is in the works.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That only looks like a 2-2.5 inch barrel.  Hope they do a longer version.  I personally would like a 5-inch version.

And flutes; fluteless cylinder look silly.
View Quote

Not here. Love unfluted. Have a small collection going.  I keep eyeing that GP100 with unfluted cylinder....but I have enough .357's.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Choice of barrel length seems...odd.  I would think 4" (or technically the 4.2" needed for Canada), 5" or even 6" barrel makes more sense.  

This revolver seems like a good choice for a woods gun or nightstand duty for those who prefer wheelguns, which I would think means a barrel longer than "snubby" category.

Is there really a market for people who strongly desire a 8 round .357 magnum snubby for CC?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#10]
>>Choice of barrel length seems...odd.<<

I agree. A .357 "snubby" is of no use to me. I'd prefer 4/4.2.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#11]
4.2 inch barrel, fluted cylinder.  If they came out with this, I'd be at the LGS the next day putting money down on one.

I've looked at the S&W PC 627 2.6" 8 shot several times.  If I could ever find one of the original Bloodwork versions with a fluted cylinder, I'd own it.  I don't have a use for it, but there it is.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a buyer with a 4" + barrel.  I have snubby 38s and small 9mms for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Choice of barrel length seems...odd.  I would think 4" (or technically the 4.2" needed for Canada), 5" or even 6" barrel makes more sense.  

This revolver seems like a good choice for a woods gun or nightstand duty for those who prefer wheelguns, which I would think means a barrel longer than "snubby" category.

Is there really a market for people who strongly desire a 8 round .357 magnum snubby for CC?
View Quote
Ruger tends to think of "woods gun" as either REALLY long barrels (7" in the SRH) or REALLY short (SRH Alaskan).  

A 357mag revolver like this is kind of oxymoronical.  The cylinder is going to be too fat to CCW, it's cylinder isn't fluted (heavier), and it's built on a larger frame (again, heavier/larger).  I don't think it was meant to be a CCW.  

So, if you can't CCW it.....and if it's meant to be a woods gun......then velocity & penetration count...a LOT.  And many/most people who are going to take one into the woods aren't going to CCW it.  

So why make it 2.75" of barrel.  4" would be more of a manageable but long enough barrel to get the potential of the round.  6" is hard to carry and 3" isn't much different than 4".  

Whoever made that call needs to be slapped.  Should have been 4" if they were going to only offer one.  That way, if you did want a snubby....you could just have it cut down.  Harder to put more barrel on than to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I will pass on a 7.5", but would love one in a 4.2" barrel.  4-5" is perfect for a full size revolver IMHO.

Curious on why they chose to start with a 2.5-3" barrel...
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Thing has more sharp edges then a box of double edged razor blades. How hard is it to round off a edges and corners a bit?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Hi All,

I am thinking of getting one. Does anyone here have an actual experience with this revolver.
There is a youtube video on reliability issues. I know enough not to judge a firearm based on single video, but I think i should take it into consideration.
I know it has warranty, I know Ruger has good customer service, but the last think I want it to send it back to Ruger.
I am in Mass, so I am limited on what I can buy, without jumping through hoops, and this one looked like a decent choice.

Thank you in advance for an input.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn it, I Just bought a GP100. Would love one in a 5 or 6 inch barrel, 8 shot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#18]
They don't make them in anything but 2.75 barrel length yet. I am thinking of waiting for 4 inch barrel,it's probably coming in the future.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Hickock45 just did a video on this revolver.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I like mine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thing has more sharp edges then a box of double edged razor blades. How hard is it to round off a edges and corners a bit?
View Quote
Maybe they intended the buyer to take care of that step?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:43:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Ruger Redhawk .357 Magnum 8-shot
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Do Ruger revolvers have any internal locks?
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.
Actually Ruger did/is selling some of their revolvers with an internal hammer lock.  They hide it under the grip panels.  I know for sure it was included on some LCR's and some if their single actions.  Not sure about the Redhawk or GP100.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Actually Ruger did/is selling some of their revolvers with an internal hammer lock.  They hide it under the grip panels.  I know for sure it was included on some LCR's and some if their single actions.  Not sure about the Redhawk or GP100.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.
Huh!  I've never seen this or heard of it.  My apologies for giving the wrong information.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Huh!  I've never seen this or heard of it.  My apologies for giving the wrong information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.
No problem, I don't thing Ruger is or has (I have read on a few forums that they are not using the lock at all any more but can't confirm it) put in on many of their revolvers unlike S&W that puts their lock on all there revolver except a few J-frames.  In addition Ruger's lock does not result in a obnoxious hole in the frame, its nicely hidden under the grip panels.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a huge Ruger Redhawk fanboy. But I wish they would make the grip bigger. I have a hawk in 45 ACP/45Colt. Great with both as long as you shoot factory regular loads. Put a hot 45 colt in and you have a huge pain in the but and hand. grip is just too small for comfort.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
That one hit every branch on the ugly tree on the way down. Ugh.
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#30]
New barrel length offerings in the eight-shot .357 Mag RedHawks.  4.2" and 5.5".  Neat.

New RedHawks

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top