Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2016 9:39:15 AM EDT
First time having to use Ruger customer service.

I have a Ruger Flat Top Convertible Blackhawk, model 5242. Last night I dry fired it and the front sight and base literally fell off.

What are my chances Ruger will send me a pre-paid label for shipping it back to them to be fixed?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The one time I used Ruger CS it was a positive experience.  I don't recall if they sent me a label or not, I think they did.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I own a few rugers, and only had 1 that needed something fixed.

Got my wife an sp101 357, the hammer would fail to advance the cylinder. They sent me a pre-paid ticket and had it back to her in a few weeks. The gun has been excellent since they worked in it. They replaced the thin so hammer with a gp hammer. Which is way more positive for me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I had to send in my P97DC today.  They said since the gun was so old (2004?) they don't pay for send shipping.  My buddy is an FFL though so I sent it Priority flat rate for $13.45.  They cover return shipping.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
They did me a solid when my extractor broke on a 20 yo 22 pistol.  Sent all the parts free.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:16:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I found Ruger CS to be excellent when I dealt with them about 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Top-notch one my one experience with them.  I bought a used Deerslayer .44 mag carbine, killed the stamped-metal extractor with live ammo jammed inside.  They were just closing for winter break, but went right to work on it when they re-opened.  When I got it back, they had to mill a billet extractor, since the stamped was discontinued long prior, and they re-blued the barrel/action, and refinished the stock!

Basically, total satisfaction!
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine had a squib in her 10/22.  Blew out the mag, bulged the barrel and receiver.  Obviously not the gun's fault, but she called Ruger and they had her send it back and sent her a brand new rifle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#8]
My old blackhawk's rear sight adjustment screw came out while shooting one day, lost in the grass. I called ruger and they put one in the mail for me for free. Only time I have contacted them, but they were pleasant and responsive. They will take care of you OP.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I've only have one experience with Ruger over a part failure.  They sent me a new part very quickly for free.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Well so far I'm pleasantly surprised. They emailed me a prepaid shipping label, no problem.

Still not thrilled about the front falling off...
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a canted front sight on a Blackhawk.  They guy on the phone was great, and the gun got back to me quickly.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Sent a SP101 WC back for a chip in the hammer just as a precaution. Got a new hammer and a complete action polish with a door to door 2 week turnaround on their dime.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
First time having to use Ruger customer service.

I have a Ruger Flat Top Convertible Blackhawk, model 5242. Last night I dry fired it and the front sight and base literally fell off.

What are my chances Ruger will send me a pre-paid label for shipping it back to them to be fixed?
View Quote

They should send you a label no questions asked, my 22/45 had the rear sight pin would back out upon recoil or even during transport. I called and they sent me a label. The only pain in the ass is it has to be sent from a FedEX distribution center, the closest one to me, is two hrs away.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I had to recently send off my Alaskan 454 for an out of spec cylinder and light strikes. They had it about 3 weeks and it came back 100%. Even called me twice to let me know what they were doing to it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They did me a solid when my extractor broke on a 20 yo 22 pistol.  Sent all the parts free.
View Quote

My nephew bought a used GP100 with a broken rear sight blade about a year ago. I gave him grief about not getting it fixed, so I called Ruger right then and there and the lady was nice enough to send the whole assembly for free.
Should be here next week.
The reason I'm here is for instruction on how to get it on.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My nephew bought a used GP100 with a broken rear sight blade about a year ago. I gave him grief about not getting it fixed, so I called Ruger right then and there and the lady was nice enough to send the whole assembly for free.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's the whole assembly, it should be one screw pretty much.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it's the whole thing. I thought there was a pin holding it in? I was wondering if the pin was an expendable part and what size it is.
If it is just a screw in type, then awesome, and thanks!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Have been very positive.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Dad had a new Mini-14 that was impossible to zero.  Ruger provided a label and had it back to him in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#20]
a lotta years ago I had a stainless .357 Blackhawk that was burned up in a house trailer fire. I contacted Ruger to see if they could rebuild it. They said No cause they had no idea how much heat it had been subjected to. But they offered to send me a new identical revolver if I would sent the burned up one to them with a check for $125, which they said is what they charged distributors. So I did and they did.
zero complaints.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I guess it's the whole thing. I thought there was a pin holding it in? I was wondering if the pin was an expendable part and what size it is.
If it is just a screw in type, then awesome, and thanks!
View Quote

I always forget about that pin. Knock out the pin, should be a touch smaller than 1/16" knock it out from right to left.  Remove the top screw, just remember it's under spring pressure.  Drop the new sight in, and reverse steps.

Btw, talked to Ruger CS earlier this week again.  Zero issues and they dropped parts in the mail for me at no cost after explaining what was going on.  (bad scope rings)
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I got my wife an SR9 a couple of years ago that would constantly fail to extract. I hit up Ruger and they had me a label in an hour. I shipped that day and had it back in my hands fixed in less than a week.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 3:58:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Ruger American Compact in 9 MM that I bought when they first came out.  It took me a month or two to fire it and I had three malfunctions in 20 rounds.  I was using ammo that I suspected of being problematic, but hey what better to test with.  Anyway the last round something inside the slide broke I could not get the slide to come back far enough to lock or rotate the magic discomboobilator . I raised the help flag and they sent me a label, two weeks later it was back to me with a note saying it was repaired (nothing about what was wrong) and they were sure to tell me they had test fired it with three magazines of QUALITY ammunition (Black Hills 115 Gr FMJ I think) I have yet to test it as I hurt my wrist again.  I am confidant it will work.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:48:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Have an American rifle in 300 blackout.  It had ftf's. they paid to ship it and fixed it fast.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought a Mark IV Hunter a few weeks ago. I didn't care much for the v-notch rear sight so I called them and asked about the square-notch "target" sight blade.

They sent me the blade for FREE via USPS Priority and I got it 2 days later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top