Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2016 12:14:44 AM EDT
Edited title as it's not a SR series gun.

Anybody have one?  If so, is it fairly accurate?

I'm thinking about getting the budget 9E and adding decent sights.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#1]
There are better guns for $300 IMO.  It bombed the 2K round challenge on pistol-forum.com and it had a way out of spec barrel that was spraying rounds everywhere.  I'd look into a SD9VE or a Canik so you at least get 2 mags when you purchase.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are better guns for $300 IMO.  It bombed the 2K round challenge on pistol-forum.com and it had a way out of spec barrel that was spraying rounds everywhere.  I'd look into a SD9VE or a Canik so you at least get 2 mags when you purchase.
View Quote

Will avoid. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The 9e is basically a SR9 with a bit less machining to the slide, no loaded chamber indicator and one less magazine in the box. I see no reason why it shouldn't perform as well as a regular Ruger SR9.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked one up and have been shooting it a bunch. 900 rounds thru it in the last month.  Not one problem with mine.  Sure the finish isn't the best. The reset is a little gritty but it's really starting to smooth out.  I would buy one again.  Got it as a range gun but I'm really starting to like it.  Will it take the place of my g19 probably not.  But happy I'm happy I have it..
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Picked mine up today!  For $289, I'm not sure what I could find that I didn't like about it.  It fits nice in my hand, it's slim, not heavy, feels solid and holds 17 rds... I'm looking forward to taking it to the range.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

So a bunch of Ruger 9E pistols failed the 2,000rd challenger??? Or just one pistol?  
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The one reported did, yes.  There have also been other reports of batches with bad barrels in them.  Ruger does have some outstanding customer service from what I hear, but, with a pretty nice $300 pistol market right now, not sure why anyone would go for the the 9E, especially when it only comes with one mag
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The one reported did, yes.  There have also been other reports of batches with bad barrels in them.  Ruger does have some outstanding customer service from what I hear, but, with a pretty nice $300 pistol market right now, not sure why anyone would go for the the 9E, especially when it only comes with one mag
View Quote

Do you think the 9e has a different barrel than the SR9?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one, it was pretty accurate and reliable. I should have kept it...
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I've been wondering. Officially, the 9E is not an SR model. It has me thinking the standard of quality might be lower in addition to having fewer features and accessories.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:28:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's what I've been wondering. Officially, the 9E is not an SR model. It has me thinking the standard of quality might be lower in addition to having fewer features and accessories.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My OPINION (and that's all it is) is that the 9e is simply an SR9 with less machining, no loaded chamber indicator and one less mag in the box. I seriously doubt they're cranking out different barrels for the 9e. Maybe they do a little less exterior buffing but I imagine the bore quality is the same.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
We sell a lot of SR series pistols in the shop, and I think they're pretty well made for the price. We've had one 9E in, and I got a chance to compare it to an SR9. Based on that, I think Bladeswitcher's assessment is correct. Everything but the machining operations was about the same.

Not that I think it means anything, but just for what it's worth: Our sample of one 9E did have a broken trigger mechanism. It wouldn't reliably reset, but Ruger took care of it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I ended up spending more and buying a Sig P320 for now, but a throwaway plastic pistol is still on the list. I don't think I've even seen a 9E in any lgs in my ao.

Thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#14]
We keep at least one 9E on the shelf at work.  For almost 100 dollars less I actually like it more than the SR9.  I like the wider slide serrations, I don't like loaded chamber flags so that's a plus as well, the one less mag thing I can deal with for 100 dollars off.  I've thought about getting one but I have other pistols that fill that same niche so I haven't made it past thinking of it.  I will say I like the feel of the SR9 and 9E far better than the newer "American Pistol".
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Does this thing take the same mags as the Sr9?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does this thing take the same mags as the Sr9?
View Quote

yes.

It's just an economy SR9.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We keep at least one 9E on the shelf at work.  For almost 100 dollars less I actually like it more than the SR9.  I like the wider slide serrations, I don't like loaded chamber flags so that's a plus as well, the one less mag thing I can deal with for 100 dollars off.  I've thought about getting one but I have other pistols that fill that same niche so I haven't made it past thinking of it.  I will say I like the feel of the SR9 and 9E far better than the newer "American Pistol".
View Quote

My thoughts exactly.  I like the E series better than the SR. I can buy 4 more mags with the money I save.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#18]
The last time I was working the range a guy showed up with an SR9 and a 9E. He could produce pretty nice groups with the SR9, but when he would shoot the 9E the groups opened WAY up. He asked me if I knew what was going on and I shot a 5 round group through each gun. Sure enough the 9E group was 3-4" larger at the same distance using the same ammo. Trigger feel was nearly identical. I don't know if the 9E barrel is the same as the SR9 barrel or not, but there was definitely a difference in accuracy between the two. The crown of the 9E barrel looks to be more crude and less refined. The 9E was on my short list of budget guns I wanted to pick up, but now I might hold out for used SR9. I have seen them sell for about the same price as a new 9E.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I impulse bought one (and an American  Compact Pro) to test out.

I have to say that the trigger doesn't suck for a sub-$300 pistol.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I took mind to the range today and ran 350 rounds of 124gr Blazer Brass through it.   Then 100 round of Wolf Polyperformance 115gr.  Then 50 rounds of Federal HST 124gr  +P.  No malfunctions at all.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Some pics.  The target is 10 yards.  I'm not a great shot.  The 9E has a better trigger than any of my Glocks came with from the factory, and shoots well enough to make a nice nightstand gun with a light attached.  It functioned great with the mag disconnect removed, and removing it took about three minutes when I did my first cleaning.  

While I bought my first Glock in 1994, and I've never shot it "by accident" breaking it down, I do like that you don't have to pull the trigger to disassemble it.  

For under three hundred dollars shipped, it's a damn nice handgun.  It's also made in the USA.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top