Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2016 8:03:42 PM EDT
Got my new Ruger LCP in the mail today. Had a box of Tula .380, steel cased. Out of 1 box (50 rounds), I had probably a dozen issues from failure to feed (on my second shot) to a failure to eject (more of these toward the end).

So after reading more, I know that Ruger does not recommend the use of steel cased ammo, for the normal reasons folks cite (buildup in the chamber causing sticks).

That tells me next time I need to use domestic ammo of a higher quality with brass cases. Fine. However, does it sound normal that I'd have this many issues on my first outing? Anyway else run into this trying steel cased Tula?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Spin a brush in the chamber to polish it.
Do this after you order Wolff spring kit including the next three 1 pound increment springs for the recoil spring.
Supposedly these will cure all problems.

Otherwise.
Haven't seen any articles on steel .380.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do this after you order Wolff spring kit including the next three 1 pound increment springs for the recoil spring.

Otherwise.
View Quote

Brush with a cotton cloth wrap. Smear with Flitz. Chuck it in a drill and go to town. I do this with any firearm that doesn't run with steel case.  No problems after.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks fellas. I'll give these things a try and see what happens. I'll look into the springs too but not sure if I'm ready to start messing with parts yet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Brush with a cotton cloth wrap. Smear with Flitz. Chuck it in a drill and go to town. I do this with any firearm that doesn't run with steel case.  No problems after.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Otherwise.

Can I find that Flitz stuff at Ace Hardware or Walmart? Or is it something I'll have to order? Or will any polishing compound work?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:30:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Can I find that Flitz stuff at Ace Hardware or Walmart? Or is it something I'll have to order? Or will any polishing compound work?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Otherwise.

You can find Flitz almost anywhere.  I think most auto parts retailers carry it also.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Steel cased ammo not only is coated and sticks, it has a different expansion and contraction timing in relation to unlocking and extraction.

Why buy a really reliable pistol and then feed it the exact junk that makes it fail to function.

Clean it and shoot decent ammo.  The things are usually perfect in function.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/162173_Ruger_LCP__380acp_Custom_Test_Shoot___Excellent_Accuracy_and_100__Function__for_35_shots_.html

This one has been running on and on and on fed anything brass cased including the easiest reloads to put together with lead cast bullets.

Your steel ammo has to be really F'd up to make a LCP fail to function.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#7]
^^^^This. Stay away from any steel case ammo unless it is for an Ak variant. They are made to run with steel case ammo..Steel cases are harder on your gun parts,especially the extractor. If ammo is too expensive in stores for you to buy, than buy online and save a lot. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
^^^^This. Stay away from any steel case ammo unless it is for an Ak variant. They are made to run with steel case ammo..Steel cases are harder on your gun parts,especially the extractor. If ammo is too expensive in stores for you to buy, than buy online and save a lot. Just my 2 cents.
View Quote

Not entirely true.

LCP's have a tighter chamber.

I run steel case to the tune of 15k+ annually though many different platforms.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
The ONLY time I have had an issue with my LCP was with that garbage. But it wasn't because it was steel case. the case length was way to long and it wouldn't go into battery... I can only suspect a 9mm case somehow got in the lot??? Threw that round to the side and it continued to cycle fine. 49 out of 50. That's the only failure and it wasn't the guns fault. Everything else has been brass case and it's been flawless..

I just use brass or nickle plated ammo and don't worry about it. My first gen is bone stock and I love it. People IMO stupidly whine about the sights... I love the fact there's nothing to get caught on if it's in my pocket. The pistols for up close self defense where you don't have time to aim anyway, it's point shooting. The trigger...could be a little lighter though but I doubt i'll ever change it. I have carried it long enought he bluing is missing on the back left side of the slide. I have to keep rubbing oil on it any time I'm carrying it or it will get surface rust... Thinking about just painting it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top