Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2016 11:58:31 PM EDT
Picked up a used but lools like never fired SR1911

Had 8 failure to feeds out of 50 rpunds, most with one particilar Wilson Combat mag

I am new to 1911s. Do I need to do anything in particular to break it in? I used grease to lube it.

The failure to feeds were all the same, did not take a pic, round getting stuck off the mag but before in the chamber .

I should have taken a pic.

Next time I will.

Any tips?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:53:16 AM EDT
[#1]
What ammo? Sounds like a 3 point jam. Could be lots of stuff.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Federal round ball. Brand new.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:23:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow,

after googling 1911 3 point jam, I had no idea that a 1911 was so finicky.

I am a Glock guy.

I guess I should start with the mags and isolate any that produce a FTF and those that don't.

I have about 20 mags and a bunch of different makes.

I don't think the Ruger or the checkmate had a FTF, but I was not that anal about keeping the mags separate.

I guess I have some work to do, including understanding eactly how a round gets chambered in a 1911.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Mags could easily be the only issue with your gun.

I like glocks too consider this though ........... glock mags in glock pistols = reliability thats as good as anything can be.

Look how many manufacturers of 1911 magazines and gun manufacturers your dealing with.
It's a law of averages certain combo's not playing well with each other.

My suggestion would be to load up all the mags when you have a failure throw that mag in a separate pile......
When your done testing all the mags pistol should be broken in by then.
Reload all the good mags and see if you have any failures.

Since ruger has great cs if your still having trouble just give them a call they will fix it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow,

after googling 1911 3 point jam, I had no idea that a 1911 was so finicky.

I am a Glock guy.

I guess I should start with the mags and isolate any that produce a FTF and those that don't.

I have about 20 mags and a bunch of different makes.

I don't think the Ruger or the checkmate had a FTF, but I was not that anal about keeping the mags separate.

I guess I have some work to do, including understanding eactly how a round gets chambered in a 1911.
View Quote

I'm with you.....1911's are a mercurial mistress, but you will get it dialed in.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#6]
There is nothing magic about a 1911 and how it works.  Just like a Glock it has a magazine, slide, barrel, ejector, and extractor.  When those are properly installed and adjusted, the gun will work.

You said that you bought the gun used.  Are you completely certain the person before you did not mess with anything?  Recoil spring?  Extractor tension?  You have changed the magazine and yet you still expect the gun to run.  One thing I have found quite a few times is that sometimes the spring tension in an aftermarket mag will cause too much drag on the round being fed and will create a feedway stoppage.

Go back to the original magazine that came with the gun.  If it doesn't run then call Ruger and they should take care of you.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#7]
It did not look like it had ever been shot, so I doubt anything was changed.

I have not shot it again yet to determine if it was the mags. The one mage that seemed to correspond to the FTFs was a wilson combat mag.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:03:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a STI Ranger II all steel 45ACP 1911 and a Colt LW Commander 45ACP. Both guns would not feed reliably out of the box. I found I needed to retention the extractor so that it held the case on the breech face correctly. The extractors on both guns did not have enough tension.  I watched an STI YouTube video on how to check the tension. Then I watched a Wilson Combat YouTube video on how to shape the end of the extractor and how to tension it to correctly feed the 45ACP case on to the breech face. Both extractors had too much of a lip and I had to file them down very slightly so they fit the case correctly.  Now they both feed and eject 100% reliably.  See the two links below. Hope this helps. 1911s are really not THAT finicky but they do need adjustment every once in a while to make them run 100% reliable. They are also not that hard to work on. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to fix almost any problem you might have with a 1911. I just bought a Ruger LW Commander 9mm 1911 and it shot 200 rounds right out of the box 100% reliably!! 50 rounds were 124gt Gold Dots which are noted for jamming semi-auto guns!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-XoJVNAo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dorzFGvYj40
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top