Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2016 8:09:18 PM EDT
How are you guys liking your American Pistol in .45 ACP? I have only really heard about the 9mm. Wanting some input on the .45. I have a bunch of Glocks, and want something different. The Ruger American Pistol looks really good to me.

Any input on the .45 is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I really like mine.  But for a polymer pistol the RAP's are relatively heavy, but that's not a bad thing, the extra mass of the slide helps with the recoil.  Mine shoots pretty decent groups.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
How many rounds do you have through it? what kind of aftermarket support does it have? Can you buy and fit replacement extractors, trigger springs, firing pins? This is NOT a rhetorical sarcastic questions comparing it to Glocks. I want one of these but insist on guns with aftermarket backup like Glocks have.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many rounds do you have through it? what kind of aftermarket support does it have? Can you buy and fit replacement extractors, trigger springs, firing pins? This is NOT a rhetorical sarcastic questions comparing it to Glocks. I want one of these but insist on guns with aftermarket backup like Glocks have.
View Quote

The gun came out last year or something, let me ask you, do YOU think a firearm that has been out for a year or so will have the same established aftermarket as a brand that has fielded BASICALLY the same pistol for over 20 years?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:  How many rounds do you have through it? what kind of aftermarket support does it have? Can you buy and fit replacement extractors, trigger springs, firing pins? This is NOT a rhetorical sarcastic questions comparing it to Glocks. I want one of these but insist on guns with aftermarket backup like Glocks have.
View Quote

So your only other pistols are 1911s & revolvers?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Do YOU think a company that is aware of a company named Glock would think about setting up comparable support if they wanted to compete?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  How many rounds do you have through it? what kind of aftermarket support does it have? Can you buy and fit replacement extractors, trigger springs, firing pins? This is NOT a rhetorical sarcastic questions comparing it to Glocks. I want one of these but insist on guns with aftermarket backup like Glocks have.

No they are all Glocks,
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Aftermarket goodies for almost all Rugers tends to be weak.  The 10/22 and the 22 pistol being the exception (possibly the Mini 14 as well).  Having said that I will say none of the many Rugers I've owned really needed much after market tweaking.  I tend to run all of my guns stock or very close to it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Gallway Precision has started making aftermarket for the RAP.
Ruger has also just announced the RAP with manual safety to go along with the original RAP Pro model.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the grip on the 45 larger than the 9mm?
I assumed it was, but a friend who has shot the 9mm said they were the same.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 6:08:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is the grip on the 45 larger than the 9mm?
I assumed it was, but a friend who has shot the 9mm said they were the same.
View Quote

The mag well is slightly longer front to back on the 45ACP American.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top