Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2016 11:50:14 PM EDT
Hey guys.
Just got my first Ruger (an LCP).
The magazine does not want to clip in the first time I push it in. Unless I push it up and forward, it won't seat. It just bounces back out.

I have read a few things online that say the mags need to "break in". Is this true?
Would this be an issue with the magazine or the gun itself?

I can post a vide if needed.

Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#1]
they could've cut the mag notch for the lower KelTec P3AT location.  Same manufacturer for both mags
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I always slap mine in. Seems to solve the problem you mention.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
they could've cut the mag notch for the lower KelTec P3AT location.  Same manufacturer for both mags
View Quote

I think it's in the right spot. Here's what mine looks like:

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both Italian MecGar and Ruger USA magazines for my LCP Custom.  As picky as I can be at times, I never focused on the idea of the OP.  I realize my magazines all have to be pushed in firmly and wiggled with the heel of my hand to make sure they lock.  Once locked, they never come out. (Until the magcatch is pushed.)
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#5]

The previous posters don't know what you're talking about because your gun is defective and theirs aren't.

It is both a gun and a magazine issue.  

The original LCPs don't have the problem but some of the later ones do.  

Ruger used to ship LCPs with Mec-Gar Italian magazines.  These go in perfectly with older LCPs and okay with newer LCPs that have the issue, but they are very hard to find.

Now Ruger ships LCPs with their own magazines and they seem to exacerbate the issue.  

If you can track down older Mec-Gar magazines that would be the way to go.

I sent an LCP in to Ruger with this issue and they were HOPELESS.  I sent them a really nice diagram explaining the issue and they just returned it saying they shot it and it functioned fine.  No kidding, I knew that.  I said the magazine doesn't insert correctly.  They probably just don't have an easy way of fixing it.  

I'd just sell the gun or make Ruger take it back.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
^ Is it the location of the mag catch slot? If so can it be ground into an acceptable location?
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't think so.  I have Ruger and MecGar mags and none of them instantly click in.   Push up, wiggle, stays till you push the mag release.  No worries.  Try not to invent one.  Gun works perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one with the same issue. I just make sure it is seated properly. This link has a good explanation:

http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/lcp-technical/20004-regarding-hard-lock-magazines-new-style-lcp.html
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Just bought a brand new LCP custom and the mags don't seat smoothly. Like others you have to maneuver it in but then it locks up solid.

To me it's just a little quirk with this pistol. I tested at the shop before I bought it and new it had the issue like all the rest.

I paid $249 for my custom model, if it cost $500 or $1,00 dollars I would would expect better.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got one and COULD NOT FORCE a full mag in it.  Take the mag apart, eyeball everything, put it back together and see if it helps.  At first when I loaded six in mine I could not depress the top cartridge even a millimeter.  I tried it again, something made a clicking sound and all has been good since.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine did this OP.  You get used to smacking the mag baseplate to seat it properly.  After a couple of weeks doing this it seated fine without the smack.

Sudboy
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two mags for my LCP. One has this problem, the other doesn't. I just smack it harder and go on with life.
Link Posted: 3/17/2016 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I also have the same issue,just do like the others have stated. One thing I noticed, is when I bought one of the Pierce pinky extensions( they are a little bit larger than what comes with the magazine),  it will not allow the mag. to seat at all. There is too much material on the extension for the mag. to seat.  I am not sure if they were made for a different generation magazine or gun, but they don't work at all with the factory mags..
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one with the same issue. I just make sure it is seated properly. This link has a good explanation:

http://rugerpistolforums.com/forums/lcp-technical/20004-regarding-hard-lock-magazines-new-style-lcp.html
View Quote

I checked my new LCP Custom last night and there is plenty of gap between the mag plate and the bottom of the mag well.
So the issue is not caused by what is discussed in the link.

I.m not sure yet what's causing it, but if I slap it in it works fine.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine only resists when fully loaded and the slide is forward.
Are you trying to insert a loaded mag with the slide forward?
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine has this problem with the mag base plates that are flat (not the pinky extension ones).  Fixing it is simple.  Remove the mag plate from the magazine.  Sand down the top surface of the plate about 1/32" or so.  This effectively increases the distance from the magazine catch hole (the square hole) to the top surface of the base plate.  Reassemble the magazine and test it.  If the mag doesn't go in easily, try sanding some more.  I did this and it solved the problem.  It is annoying, but this isn't some $2000 1911 we're talking about here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I either have to slam mine hard, or hold the mag release when inserting a new mag. Either way my LCP is so unreliable i don't it stays in the safe.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#18]
When I bought my lcp I couldn't seat the mag. Where I bought  it from had a gunsmith and he looked at it and found a small burr on it.  A little grind in the mag and it worked perfect. He opened a couple other mags and they worked fine. My guess is it's the mag only.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top