Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2016 10:16:05 PM EDT
I need a pocket carry gun and am looking at the LCP as my best option. I have seen some great deals on LCP's lately for ~$200, but LCP customs are only about $20 more. I am wondering if it is worth it over the regular LCP? The one thing I am concerned with is that the dovetailed sights would be harder to draw from my pocket with. As for the red trigger, is it that much better over the regular polymer one?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Asked and answered.

OH, YES, the Custom big sights and sourced trigger-red.  Absolutely worth the few $.

Why?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_32/162246_LCP__380acp_Custom__Factory_Variation__3740__Range_Results__Factory_and_Hand_Load_Same_Zero_.html
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the Custom model.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the Custom  version and wound up getting one. The only downside is one of the benefits-the sights. The rear sight is pretty tall and finding holsters for it is a bit of a chore. I wound up rounding the rear part of the rear sight with my dremel as I have a generic  mesh type holster and it always gets caught on the holster when I  draw it due to it's square edges. I would not recommend a Custom for pocket carry for this same reason-too many problems with getting it snagged on the way out of your pocket when needed, unless you round the rear sight and the front one.  I hope other manufacturers will make different sights for it, like a tru-glo, etc.. The factory front is photo-luminescent and will glow in the dark for a limited time when exposed to light, which I don't see the benefit of. If you are going to be using this at night/dusk/dark places, the factory sight will need to be charged by either a flashlight or another form of light. So, if you are using it for self defense, you will give away your  position trying to charge it. I don't know why Ruger used this type of sight other than for target practice as it does not serve a real purpose. I was going to get a Hi-Viz sight for it like on my G19,(was going to use a Glock sight but a little sanding/grinding is necessary to get it to fit in the hole in the front). The front sight on mine wound up coming loose and falling off after 100 rounds. .No biggy, I just put some loc-tite on it and it has been fine. The pistol has more ability to be accurate due to the sights compared to the point and shoot sights on the standard model.

The larger/wider red trigger is much better than the standard model, as I had one of those and it was not comfortable to shoot. The finger extension on the magazine is nice for getting a bit more of a grip on it than the standard 2 fingers. I bought an after market finger extension for the mag., as it was a little bigger/longer than the factory one, but it was the wrong height for the magwell and would not allow the magazine to seat, so I wound up returning it to my dealer. I can't remember the manufacturer but I think it was Pearce.

Even with some of the issues I had, it is still a much better model than the standard.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The sights on the gun work just fine with a quality leather holster.  See the design in the thread noted above.

With firearms, change the cheap part, not the expensive one.  In this case, change the holster, from my view point, not the sights.

I note the luminous sight comment.  Made no sense to me and was  d i m  at best.

Filling in the cavity with a Sally Hansen nylon filled bright white, layer after layer, until it was level, made a far more visible sight in all light conditions.  Ask your spouse, GF, or counter clerk for the brightest white.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
added a Custom to my cart at KyGunCo and it went OOS

damn, anyone else know anywhere with this gun for $226 shipped?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

back in stock i think
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

back in stock i think
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

back in stock i think

nope, but backorderable, so I FO'd.  Now the wait...
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

back in stock i think

I guess I should have clarified. I haven't seen them actually put them in stock in a while.

On a better note, the one I ordered last week (or the week before) went to processing in their system
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I ended up cancelling with KyGunCo and going to my local Cabelas today at opening to grab one of the LCP's on sale for $199.  I had a $20 off coupon and ordered a giftcard online for an additional 12% off.  Ended up costing me around $170 out the door!  SCORE
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, I ended up cancelling with KyGunCo and going to my local Cabelas today at opening to grab one of the LCP's on sale for $199.  I had a $20 off coupon and ordered a giftcard online for an additional 12% off.  Ended up costing me around $170 out the door!  SCORE
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/DCopp/media/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/20160211_134228_zps8x0lbw79.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/20160211_134228_zps8x0lbw79.jpg</a>
View Quote

My custom is getting here Saturday. I'm debating on putting it on gun broker and buying one of those
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been out of the loop for awhile...is there perfect pocket holster for the Custom yet?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/DCopp/media/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/20160211_134228_zps8x0lbw79.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/DCopp/guns%20and%20gun%20stuff/20160211_134228_zps8x0lbw79.jpg</a>
View Quote

Cabela's pretty much refuses to send me coupons on time...not that it would matter.  The area where a Cabela's is nearby adds a $25 transfer fee on to their firearm transactions to negate it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#13]
The hardest part is finding a good leather holster for them as most holsters made, are made for the standard/base model, unless you go kydex. I have bought a few different types and the sight/s always get snagged on the material. As I said prior, leather or not, this model is not good for pocket carry due to the sights. You did good with the standard model and is a much better choice for pocket carry. Now, if they could put the bigger trigger on the standard model, that would make a great pocket pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top