Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#1]
When I can buy a center-fire Ruger that doesn't have to be sent back to the factory within the first year, for some stupid reason - I'll consider them.   But since none that I've purchased in the past have hit this benchmark - no thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do somewhat agree about the novelty aspect of modularity although I still think the concept offers some unique properties.

As an IPSC or IDPA shooter might want the ability to configure his one pistol in a manner that is USPSA production legal and also IDPA ESP devision legal just by swapping out a fairly inexpensive plastic frame housing. Or he might want to take his young child to the range and work with a 22LR for basic marskmanship practice. Statistically speaking.... those folks will own multiple guns and the need to change one handgun is very low. They will simply have different pistols for different tasks.

But in reality most users would buy a gun and configure it in the slide length and grip frame configuration that they like best and then never modify the pistol beyond that one time setup. Most already do that.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe the biggest benefit will be on a department or agency level. An officer can be issued one pistol and be accountable for one serialized part without having to be beholden to one pistol. He can go from a larger G17 for uniform carry to a G19 (or maybe even a 43 single stack) for off duty or plain clothed assignment. And he could even have a SIM or UTM kit that includes a new frame that will only accept a dedicated paint marking magazine. Not going to happen. Agencies are paranoid of their officers fucking with anything. I have to get dept armorer's approval to swap out the butt stock on my dept issued M4 carbine. Hell, I have to get special written approval to use a weapon light and a holster for my dept issued Glock. The additional frames, barrels, etc.... will be tagged, serialized, and inventoried. The mindset of every bean counter and paper pusher in command is that their personnel are stupid and not trusted. And for the most part they are correct. Same in the armed forces. Everything is cataloged and tagged for inventory.

Of course none of this matters without the parts for swapping. Nor will it matter if the new parts are the same price as another pistol.
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
The American is an okay design in a crowded market still dominated by Glock. I keep saying thag modularity is a novelty and nothing more. Just like in the video game industry. Everyone wants backwards compatibility for their older games on newer systems. Yet in reality no one uses it when that feature actually comes out.

I do somewhat agree about the novelty aspect of modularity although I still think the concept offers some unique properties.

As an IPSC or IDPA shooter might want the ability to configure his one pistol in a manner that is USPSA production legal and also IDPA ESP devision legal just by swapping out a fairly inexpensive plastic frame housing. Or he might want to take his young child to the range and work with a 22LR for basic marskmanship practice. Statistically speaking.... those folks will own multiple guns and the need to change one handgun is very low. They will simply have different pistols for different tasks.

But in reality most users would buy a gun and configure it in the slide length and grip frame configuration that they like best and then never modify the pistol beyond that one time setup. Most already do that.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe the biggest benefit will be on a department or agency level. An officer can be issued one pistol and be accountable for one serialized part without having to be beholden to one pistol. He can go from a larger G17 for uniform carry to a G19 (or maybe even a 43 single stack) for off duty or plain clothed assignment. And he could even have a SIM or UTM kit that includes a new frame that will only accept a dedicated paint marking magazine. Not going to happen. Agencies are paranoid of their officers fucking with anything. I have to get dept armorer's approval to swap out the butt stock on my dept issued M4 carbine. Hell, I have to get special written approval to use a weapon light and a holster for my dept issued Glock. The additional frames, barrels, etc.... will be tagged, serialized, and inventoried. The mindset of every bean counter and paper pusher in command is that their personnel are stupid and not trusted. And for the most part they are correct. Same in the armed forces. Everything is cataloged and tagged for inventory.

Of course none of this matters without the parts for swapping. Nor will it matter if the new parts are the same price as another pistol.

Modularity is a novelty.

Your majority of gun owners buy a gun, throw it in a sock drawer after shooting half a box through it, and think they're good to go. As for agencies.... I already explained. Same with your gun lovers. They own multiples. Modularity is a novelty that will pass. Look at ARs..... everyone would rather have another rifle built for the task than play musical chairs with uppers and lowers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Modularity is a novelty.

Your majority of gun owners buy a gun, throw it in a sock drawer after shooting half a box through it, and think they're good to go. As for agencies.... I already explained. Same with your gun lovers. They own multiples. Modularity is a novelty that will pass. Look at ARs..... everyone would rather have another rifle built for the task than play musical chairs with uppers and lowers.
View Quote

We're not in disagreement on the benefits of modularity on paper vs. the reality of how it will be used but I do still think there's some uptapped market in the concept.

Besides, many guns are already moving towards a "modular" level even if the modularity isn't fully integrated. Most makers, even Glock, have a user-configurable grip inserts nowadays.

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When I can buy a center-fire Ruger that doesn't have to be sent back to the factory within the first year, for some stupid reason - I'll consider them.   But since none that I've purchased in the past have hit this benchmark - no thanks
View Quote

Painting with a broad brush.

Ruger's 1911 line is solid and has been selling/performing well with no drama as one example. And the American has been on the market now nearly a year with no recalls, etc.

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up a SIG P320 Carry in 9mm. I'll probably get some rounds through it next week and can post my thoughts on how it compares to the RAP if anyone cares.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:11:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been shooting and carrying my 9mm American now for about nine months.  Here are my current thoughts.

I have some mixed feelings about the American. On the one hand the gun has shown itself to be accurate and reliable. On the other, the ergonomics are a little funky and I find that the gun is very easy to push to one side or the other while shooting. I'm not sure why but I believe it is due to the fact that the trigger comes so far back into the frame during shooting that it is just natural to force your shooting hand to clench. Maybe a person with smaller hands might not notice this so much. I'm not a giant but I do wear an XL or XXL glove depending on the brand.  Switching grip panels doesn't seem to help and the large panel just feels too bulky.[1]  

Another thing about the gun is it is too heavy, at least in the 9mm format.[2] This makes for a softer shooting gun and one that'll probably last forever but it doesn't make for something that's particularly suited for carrying around all day. Another thing, and probably what bothers me most about the gun, is that the magazines rattle when inside the mag well. [3] Ruger has shaped/sized the mag well so that an empty mag will drop free and a full mag will snap in easily but this allows a full mag to click and clack inside the frame. I notice that walking up and down stairs or moving at a brisk pace will bounce the mag around inside the frame and make some noise. It probably isn't loud enough for anyone else to hear but it still is disconcerting.

Another thing is I don't think Ruger's capitalizing on the modular aspect of the American. They should be selling new frames and slide components that allow shooters to shape and configure the American to best suite individual tastes and needs. They really need to get a 22LR kit out as well as a short slide kit and a compact frame shell. [4] Allow owners to swap frame and slide components around the chassis like the SIG320. Otherwise the chassis system really serves no purpose.

In the end, the American is just another fairly standard striker-fired pistol in a market crowded with striker-fired pistols.  I commend Ruger for getting out of their comfort zone with the American. They are trying to modernize and introduce a "next generation" duty auto. But they aren't quite there yet. To be honest, I don't see the American offering anything to the consumer that can't be had from other more established pistols.
View Quote

I've had the gun for a good while now and I enjoy it. Soft shooting, reliable, more accurate than I am , and pretty solid for what I payed.

The bolded are issues I have as well.

1. Agreed.

2. It is rather heavy for a polymer gun. It's closer in weight to a 92fs than a Glock or M&P.

3. When I first got the gun this was the thing I noticed nearly instantly. It rattled around quite a bit and makes a pretty distinct plasticky sound.

4. This was one of the things that excited me and so far it's been nothing.

I don't see me selling it but I can't say I'm ecstatic about it. I wouldn't feel bad if I had to carry it into some rough business though. If #4 is corrected my opinion will likely change for the better.

eta. Also want to say I never had any issues with bleeding or any of that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#7]
The American has never cut me. I get a high aggressive grip but that hasn't been a problem for me with the American.

The photo on the first page of the bloody hand is from me shooting a few rounds through my wife's Glock 19. That little sucker will slice me instantly if I'm not very mindful of my grip.

Link Posted: 11/7/2016 5:14:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one that was flawless ,just picked up the new compact  model.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have one that was flawless ,just picked up the new compact  model.
View Quote

How do you like the Compact?

Initial reaction to handling one is how heavy it is.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top