Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2015 1:16:08 AM EDT
I bought this Redhawk about 3 weeks ago on the Internet from Crossfire Arms in Vermont. This was my first Internet purchase, I've always bought locally. But NO ONE had the new Redhawk in stock locally. Dawn at Crossfire sent the gun to the mailing address on the FFL forms from a local gun shop about 3 minutes from where I live. Neither of us knew that the mailing address was no longer valid. The USPS said they would send it to the forwarding address, yea right!!!!!!!!!!! After over a week they sent it back to Crossfire Arms. Dawn let me know the gun was safe and she then sent it to the gun shop address. The customer service from Crossfire Arms has been fantastic and Dawn was just great to deal with. Lesson learned, MAKE SURE the FFL info is current and complete. I just got the gun this afternoon and it's a beauty!!! Fit and finish are excellent, built like a battleship, and the trigger pulls are on the heavy side but very smooth. It's a Davidson's gun so comes with their lifetime warranty.  I have Thursday and Friday off. So I'll be taking it to the range on Friday.  The ammo in the pictures is 325gr. 1155 ft per sec. I also have some cowboy Colt loads and some 45ACP loads to shoot thru it. It does require Ruger moon clips for this model 5032 and they are 3 for $14.95 and I bought 17 more from Ruger. I found some from TK Custom, they're more expensive but made of better metal so I bought 20 more. I expect that once it's been out for a while other manufactures will get on the wagon and put out moon clips for it. Should be set for moon clips for a while. This is my first double action revolver, I've always had single action guns. My New Blackhawk convertible that I bought a few months ago is a single action.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Niiiice!!!!

I didn't know such a critter existed. It's beautiful and I know I could find a home for one.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 1:22:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Niiiice!!!!

I didn't know such a critter existed. It's beautiful and I know I could find a home for one.
View Quote

Ruger just released it about mid June of this year. They are hard to come by. So when I found this one I didn't waste any time in buying it!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The want is strong. Nice wheel in OP.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#4]
oh yes
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I would love to see this paired up with a Ruger American in .45lc offering. Heck or even a 77/44 (77/45?) in 45lc.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I just Googled the Redhawk 5032 for sale and it brought up a number of dealers that have them in stock. Maybe Ruger released a new batch. They are running about $799.00 or so depending on the dealer. I got mine for $790 plus $25 shipping from Crossfire Arms in Vermont. I'm taking it to the range later today and I'll report back tonight.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had mine for 4 months now and love it. Still waiting on my holster from El Paso saddlery. The stock grips are perfect and handle recoil well with stout loads.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got back from the range and the Redhawk shoots just fine.  I shot 3 different Colt loads: Cowboy handload of 7.8grs Unique with 200grn Lasercast LRNFP bullet, Black Hills 250 gr Cowboy load, HSM 325gr Bear Loads 1155fps. I also shot 45ACP 230gr FMJ American Eagle load.  This is my first Double action heavy duty pistol and I'm definitely going to need to do some practice to get good with this pistol. I kept the front sight level with the top of the rear sight when shooting and was holding at 6 o'clock and trying to hit the bullseye on a 6" Shoot N C target at about 30-35 ft.  The 200gr handload cowboy loads shot about 6in high with a 6 o'clock hold. I was hitting above the 6" target. The Black Hills 250gr cowboy loads shot about 2 in high with a 6 o'clock hold so I was hitting about 2" above the bullseye. The 325 Bear Loads were hitting within 2-3 inches of the bullseye. These were VERY stout loads and even with a light weight shooters glove (the only time I used the glove was with the Bear Loads) I got bit by holding to far up on the grip. The very top of the grip nailed me as the pistol rolled back during recoil. I need to adjust my grip a little downward so it's not right at the top of the grip frame on those heavy loads. The 45ACP loads shot very well in the moon clips and they extracted just fine.  I was hitting about 8in high with the 230gr FMJ loads. The pistol does roll back during recoil and is due to the design of the round butt grip. There's nothing wrong with that, I'm just not used to that style of grip. All shots were fired standing unsupported. I need to get myself a decent pistol rest to set the sights accurately as to POA/POI. The variances in the different shot heights was more due to my shooting than the pistol. All shots were done single action style. I'll have to decide what load I want so sight in with as my "Standard Load". Then set the sights for bullseye with that load.

My Blackhawk convertible 45ACP/45 Colt doesn't roll back in the hand like the Redhawk. It has more of a straight back push, much like my 1911s in 45ACP. Like I said I will need to do some practice with this revolver to get good with it. But all things considered I am extremely pleased with this revolver, well worth the money. It way very accurate once I figured out where to aim to get in the bullseye area of the target. I was getting 3-4 in groups which is average for me with a new gun. That will get down to 2 in groups as I get more practice in with the new gun!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up one of these in December 2015. I had been looking for one for some time. Then I stumbled upon one at a local gun store while I was buying some bullets. I was $775 lighter when I left the store with the revolver in hand.

My first shooting session was a disappointment. Mainly because I left the 45 Colt ammo at home. I only had some 45 ACP handloads to shoot. The initial accuracy with the 45 ACP ammo was quite ugly; about 6-8 inch groups at 25 yards. Both my shooting partner and I could do no better. He is an excellent bench shooter at 25 yards. The ammo was 200 grain SWC. At the end of the session we looked at each other and said WTF? I should mention that some of the 45 ACP rounds failed to go off. It appeared that they had light hammer/firing pin strikes. They all went off on subsequent attempts to fire.

A week or so later I went back to the range and shot some 250 grain lead semi-wad cutter 45 Colt ammo and the gun shot fine. I have subsequently shot more 45 ACP through it and they worked fine, though the accuracy is not the same as with 45 Colt ammo. My gun seems to have a strong preference for 230 gr FMJ ammo in 45 ACP. In 45 Colt I am able to put 6 shots into one whole at fifteen yards. I can no longer see well enough to bench iron sighted handguns well at 25 yards, even with glasses or contacts. When my buddy pays another visit I will see what he can do with it at 25 yards. I am able to only do about 3.5-4 inches at that distance. I believe that this gun can do better than that. Ironically, I was able to hit clay birds routinely at about 50 yards a few days ago. Go figure.

The more I shoot the thing the more I like it.  I shoot it double action, which is quite smooth, because the single action is atrocious. I creeps and drags along for seemingly forever before it goes off. I will have that fixed at some future point.

Now I will have to find a decent leather holster for this gun.  I may want to use it to take deer during the next season.

I should note that since the first shooting session I have not had any failure to fire or light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just got back from the range and the Redhawk shoots just fine.  I shot 3 different Colt loads: Cowboy handload of 7.8grs Unique with 200grn Lasercast LRNFP bullet, Black Hills 250 gr Cowboy load, HSM 325gr Bear Loads 1155fps. I also shot 45ACP 230gr FMJ American Eagle load.  This is my first Double action heavy duty pistol and I'm definitely going to need to do some practice to get good with this pistol. I kept the front sight level with the top of the rear sight when shooting and was holding at 6 o'clock and trying to hit the bullseye on a 6" Shoot N C target at about 30-35 ft.  The 200gr handload cowboy loads shot about 6in high with a 6 o'clock hold. I was hitting above the 6" target. The Black Hills 250gr cowboy loads shot about 2 in high with a 6 o'clock hold so I was hitting about 2" above the bullseye. The 325 Bear Loads were hitting within 2-3 inches of the bullseye. These were VERY stout loads and even with a light weight shooters glove (the only time I used the glove was with the Bear Loads) I got bit by holding to far up on the grip. The very top of the grip nailed me as the pistol rolled back during recoil. I need to adjust my grip a little downward so it's not right at the top of the grip frame on those heavy loads. The 45ACP loads shot very well in the moon clips and they extracted just fine.  I was hitting about 8in high with the 230gr FMJ loads. The pistol does roll back during recoil and is due to the design of the round butt grip. There's nothing wrong with that, I'm just not used to that style of grip. All shots were fired standing unsupported. I need to get myself a decent pistol rest to set the sights accurately as to POA/POI. The variances in the different shot heights was more due to my shooting than the pistol. All shots were done single action style. I'll have to decide what load I want so sight in with as my "Standard Load". Then set the sights for bullseye with that load.

My Blackhawk convertible 45ACP/45 Colt doesn't roll back in the hand like the Redhawk. It has more of a straight back push, much like my 1911s in 45ACP. Like I said I will need to do some practice with this revolver to get good with it. But all things considered I am extremely pleased with this revolver, well worth the money. It way very accurate once I figured out where to aim to get in the bullseye area of the target. I was getting 3-4 in groups which is average for me with a new gun. That will get down to 2 in groups as I get more practice in with the new gun!!
View Quote

That is wild.    I though the Blackhawks are known for rolling in the hand to help absorb recoil.    I know my 4 5/8" SS Super Blackhawk certainly rolls in my hand.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I so want one of these.....
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Appears to be Ruger's match up with the S&W 625.
I'll follow along to see how this works out.
Definitely interested.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine is on the way.  Looking forward to it!

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one on order and am waiting with childlike  anticipation!
I've been a Ruger guy forever so the wait is killing me!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I think it would make a great sidearm for in the woods.  I have a 357 Blackhawk and have wanted something with more punch for a while.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Do they use S&W 25 moon rings or their own design?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#18]
You can only use moon clips designed for the model 5032 Redhawk. Ruger and TK Custom make the correct moon clips. The TK Custom are more expensive but much better made IMO.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Still waiting for mine.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Most ruger double actions are vastly improved with a simple spring kit . Don't go messing with sear and such unless you know what you are doing but replaceing springs is easy . test fire to insure all is OK before counting on it for self defence of hunting use .

I hope the OP reloads , 45colt factory  loads tend to be pricey and you get lots of flexability by reloading .

Those heavy bear loads are going to be a handfull , a handload with a 250 gr lead bullet and a moderate load of 2400 will give you something like 1000 or 1050fps will be a better hunting load than most of the standard cowboy type loads but should be a lot tamer in that heavy solid gun than those killer bear loads

For that matter a 250 bullet with say a load of unique giving you 850 or 900fps will still quite a bit of power but should be a real pussycat to shoot .

Some of the "cowboy" loads one sees about are not going to work well with lots of the commercial cast bullets because they are too hard . Search out softer "cowboy" bullets for the lighter stuff
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just Googled the Redhawk 5032 for sale and it brought up a number of dealers that have them in stock. Maybe Ruger released a new batch. They are running about $799.00 or so depending on the dealer. I got mine for $790 plus $25 shipping from Crossfire Arms in Vermont. I'm taking it to the range later today and I'll report back tonight.
View Quote

That will be my next handgun.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Any updates? I'm really tore between o e if these or a Match Champion. Trying to figure out how to get both. Lol
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep,  reloading will wake that thing up real good. I like a healthy dose of h110 behind a 330g hardcast.   It'll make your pistol roll up real good.

Nice Ruger OP.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I did Cowboy Action Shooting for 8 years and loaded my own 45 Colt loads. Haven't had a lot of time to go shooting lately. I bought a box of HSM Bear Loads, 325grn LFN at 1155fps. They will get your attention real quick!!!! I love the pistol for 45 Colt, just wish it would shoot 45ACP more reliably. Oh well, I bought it for 45 Colt load development and my New Blackhawk convertible shoots 45 ACP just fine. This coming spring I'll send it back to Ruger and see if they can fix it. If not it's a Davidson's gun with lifetime replacement warranty so I'll have them replace it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#25]
What happened with the .45 ACP?

Quoted:
I did Cowboy Action Shooting for 8 years and loaded my own 45 Colt loads. Haven't had a lot of time to go shooting lately. I bought a box of HSM Bear Loads, 325grn LFN at 1155fps. They will get your attention real quick!!!! I love the pistol for 45 Colt, just wish it would shoot 45ACP more reliably. Oh well, I bought it for 45 Colt load development and my New Blackhawk convertible shoots 45 ACP just fine. This coming spring I'll send it back to Ruger and see if they can fix it. If not it's a Davidson's gun with lifetime replacement warranty so I'll have them replace it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:07:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of us got pistols that bind up shooting 45ACP. Mine will shoot 1 to 4 shots then the cylinder will bind up. I have to hit the cylinder with the edge of my hand to get it to break loose and rotate again. I switched to the TK Custom moon clips and that helped a lot but didn't cure the problem totally. A few shooters sent theirs back to Ruger, some several times, but Ruger couldn't get the problem fixed. So I figure by next spring they should have figured out what the problem is and how to fix it. If not I'll send it back to Davidson's Guns for replacement. It shoots 45 Colt just fine, only has problems with 45ACP. Google up Redhawk Convertible 45 ACP Problem and you should she quite a number of posts, some of them mine!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Bummer!

Quoted:

Some of us got pistols that bind up shooting 45ACP. Mine will shoot 1 to 4 shots then the cylinder will bind up. I have to hit the cylinder with the edge of my hand to get it to break loose and rotate again. I switched to the TK Custom moon clips and that helped a lot but didn't cure the problem totally. A few shooters sent theirs back to Ruger, some several times, but Ruger couldn't get the problem fixed. So I figure by next spring they should have figured out what the problem is and how to fix it. If not I'll send it back to Davidson's Guns for replacement. It shoots 45 Colt just fine, only has problems with 45ACP. Google up Redhawk Convertible 45 ACP Problem and you should she quite a number of posts, some of them mine!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top