Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2015 12:13:29 PM EDT
I have never owned any revolvers so this would be my first.  I have always fantasized about having a big bore, short barrel revolver.  I honestly wouldn't shoot it often, but rather finger fuck all the time.  It's either this or a Desert Eagle .50 AE.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the 44 mag redhawk and developed a bad flinching habit that I'm still trying to break today.  

Up until then, I was a very good shot.  

YMMV

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
What if I just shoot 45 LC out of it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The 454 has the ability to shoot the lesser calibers and is a huge heavy thing which helps also but this is a bit crazy for a first/only revolver.

My vote for a first revolver usually goes to a 357 like a S&W 686 . Great trigger and wide available choice of ammo from mild to wild gives you something you will want to shoot every time you go to the range and that you can develop your shooting skills with .

After a couple of trips with the 454 at close to $2 a round and it just isn't as much fun to shoot.

The real answer is to get both
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What if I just shoot 45 LC out of it?
View Quote
Buy a Lewis lead remover if you do.  One of the things that Freedom Arms cautions against is shooing .45 Colt at moderate velocities, building up lead on the forcing cone and then following it with  full power .454.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had both.  I prefer the Ruger Redhawk over the Desert Eagle 50 because I can shoot cast bullets in the Ruger while they are forbidden in the Desert Eagle. My current 50 cal is a Smith and Wesson 500 6.5" .  It has a better trigger and smoother action than the Ruger, but I can shoot 45 LC out of the Ruger all day long.

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Why limit yourself to only 454 and 45lc? Why not have a Ruger that can shoot 454, 45lc, 45acp, 45gap, 45 auto-rim, 45 super, 460 Rowland, 45 win mag, and probably more.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/custom-guns/wolverine/

While I will probably never get one, it's on my lotto list.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The best reason not to buy a Super Redhawk, not including the Alaskan, is that they are butt ugly.  That weird barrel thing looks like a drunk plumber tried to extend his gun barrel.  If you like the looks there's no reason not to buy.  I've wanted a .50AE Desert Eagle for a long time so I'd go that route but that's me.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#9]
The .50 DE is actually pleasant to shoot, the Redhawk with 454 loads on the other hand... Not so much
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll be getting one as soon as they are readily available. Built like a tank and fun to shoot! The bisley framed blackhawk helps a little with recoil too. Just the look of your range neighbor when it goes off is worth it!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#11]
You realize you can get a cylinder/crane from a regular Redhawk 45lc to shoot just 45lc from w/o dealing with crud in your chambers, right?

And more than one dog has dug up a SRH 6-shot 454 cylinder to use in their regular Redhawk. They do fit/function the same. But light primer strikes with reduced power springs should be avoided.

454 uses small rifle primers. 45lc uses large pistol.

I say go for it...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#12]
You can shoot 45 colt in a 454 chambered RSR ALL DAY! There is no more of a lead issue than shooting a special load in the magnum cylinder of any other caliber/revolver. The exception is the Casull  for the reason that this revolver is a factory work of art, it's tolerances are extremely tight, forcing cone is cut to 11 degrees, there basically is no cylinder gap period, cylinders are line bored, I can go on but the Casull is basically  a factory built custom gun as if you sent your ruger to Bowen, Linebraugh, Reeder,etc to have it made into one. Because of such tight specific machined tolerances, there not only show exceptional accuracy but as well can handle extremely higher pressures than 90% of revolvers on the market today. That is the reason they recommend you buy a separate 45 colt cylinder bc of such tight tolerances than can lead up. That is NOT the case with 99.9% of all Rugers made, I own, hunt, shoot and hand load for many for almost 30 years. Rugers tolerances are much sloppier hence why one 4 colt cylinder throats measure .451, .453, .450, etc their cylinder gap are the grand canyon in most cases compared to a Casull. most leading in mass produced commercial handguns like the redhawk is due more as well to the bullets your using and their velocity.

BTW- I love DE's but MANY if not most of the people I know who have bought a 50 have turned around and sold it quickly after showing off a few times. They are extremely heavy, require the correct shooting stance "weaver" per their manual(at least the old one's did), so when brass is ejected you do not have a 50ae fired case branded in you forehead., and the ammo is not cheap especially if you do not reload. But they typically do not re sell as fast as a RSR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top