Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2015 3:40:19 PM EDT
I've been combing through all the single stack 9's available, and I'm going to pick one up very soon.

I'm a lefty, and I have no problem with the mag release on the left side of the gun, as long as it's not god-awful stiff (is it?). Ambi is not mandatory.

What made you opt for this over other pocket 9's?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been combing through all the single stack 9's available, and I'm going to pick one up very soon.

I'm a lefty, and I have no problem with the mag release on the left side of the gun, as long as it's not god-awful stiff (is it?). Ambi is not mandatory.

What made you opt for this over other pocket 9's?
View Quote

Have and have tried several...including LC9s Pro, M&P Shield 9, M&P Shield .40, XDs .45, P938, P64...

Honestly, the LC9s has the best trigger pull out of the box by far.  Reset could be a bit shorter, but on this size gun I'm not exactly in a competition.  My groups can be incredibly tight with it, all due to the fabulous trigger.  Controls well for its size.  On the lighter side of the group.  Have not tried a Glock 43, but chose this between the two because I could get it for $309 shipped and wanted another slim line carry pistol (as if I needed one).  It also carried an extra round in the mags without a need for aftermarket base plates.  Negative: Mags are a bit on the expensive side, $30-35 per, and it only comes from the factory with one.

I wouldn't quite put it in the "pocket" realm, but it's close and most certainly doable I suppose.  At first I was consistently hitting the slide release up during fire to lock back the slide.  I've since modified my grip slightly and the gun has quickly become one of my favorite in the bunch.  The US mag wouldn't drop freely from the mag well for me.  Ruger sent me an Italian-made as replacement and they drop as they should.  

Magazine release is most certainly not stiff.

Negative: Rear sights are sharp for carry.

Out of all of them, I'd rank the LC9s Pro highest currently given the value.  I don't think I'd have bought a Shield afterwards had I owned the Ruger first.  Not sure how many rounds I've fired through it but I'm probably closing in on 1k in the month or so since purchase, no malfunctions that weren't operator-induced.  Might be slightly biased, because it's the newest of the bunch but it also has made it to the range with me every time since I've purchased it while the others have stayed home.

If I was to rank them from best to worst overall and I didn't own any of them already (shootability, value, size, weight all taken into consideration):

LC9s Pro, Shield, P938, XDs, and then the P64.  

If I was to pick two to own:

LC9s Pro, P938 for its smaller size and concealability
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Mag release is not stiff. Trigger pull is soooo much better than the LC9 and the glock.
All of the extraneous "safety" BS has been removed and the frame and slide have been beveled for snag-free draw from holster. Overall, just a handy little pocket 9.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
All of the above including --------   mine eats any type of ammo I feed it.  Over 200 rounds of mixed from good to crap and no misfires, jams, stovepipes, fail to eject or extract.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Do they all ship/come with Italian made mags these days?

From what I've read the US mags had a tendency to be pretty problematic?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:39:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I've really been looking at one of these for a bug but carrying a glock everyday and being so accustomed to the trigger, I'm worried about short stroking the thing. Anyone have issues with this or input on it. I love glocks but their newest "pocket gun" just don't do it for me, I want something more discreet. Short of the reset worry, I'm sold on this one, valid concern?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mine shipped with a USA manufacture.  It wouldn't drop free, so I called Ruger.  They exchanged it with a replacement Italian (did not guarantee, but said they'd try) and that one works fine.  They did have me return the US mag.  

Quoted:
I've really been looking at one of these for a bug but carrying a glock everyday and being so accustomed to the trigger, I'm worried about short stroking the thing. Anyone have issues with this or input on it. I love glocks but their newest "pocket gun" just don't do it for me, I want something more discreet. Short of the reset worry, I'm sold on this one, valid concern?

The G43 and LC9s are roughly the same size so not sure how much more discreet it will be.  The perk with the LC9s is you get a +1 out of the gate with a 7-rd mag.  As I stated before, I don't worry about the reset in the role this fills, but doubt you'll short stroke it unless you purposely overthink it.  The trigger is great, and it will "surrpise" you the first few times pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I've had mine for a couple weeks now and put about 200 rounds through it. Love the trigger just like everyone else. I do shoot left handed. And having said that the one magazine that came with it "made in the usa"  with the standard floor plate on it would come out upon firing. I think with the standard grip a lefty may hit the mag release under recoil because my right handed friends never had a problem with it.  Never happened with the pinky floor plate. Anyways sent it back and got the made in Italy one and a spare off ebay
Very accurate and reliable gun when you get the mag issue fixed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an LC9S along with many other single stacks.  
Obviously everyone has their preferences .
Cons?   Only comes with one mag and  extra mags are $35 ea.  The sights are really small  and as long as the LC9 has been out there you would think there would be endless choices for replacement sights, right?   Well, there aren't.  I settled on Dawson FO sights.  I had to send mags back to Ruger for replacements.  Again, as long as the lC9 has been available you would think they would have the mags sorted  huh?  

If you like the gun buy it.  Mine is fun to shoot, has a good trigger and I am accurate with it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I am very happy with mine.

It eats everything I feed it including not recommended TULA steel case.
I found it to be a good pocket carry in jeans and canvas type cargo shorts. I am using a cheap Uncle Mikes size 3.
I did modify the Uncle Mikes by using goop to add a band of velcro hook tape to the holster to make sure when I draw the holster stays in my pocket.

I am fortunate I get to shoot 3 or 4 times a week. I not a good shot but the LC9s has proven to be an aid in tightening up my groups.
In my hands I would say that the LC9s  almost as accurate as my Glock 19.

One thing I was told about is the LC9s is a very good instinctive shooter-draw-point-fire, no aiming.
I haven't tried this myself  so I don't know if this is valid.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Just picked a LC9s Pro up.  I am amazed at how nice the trigger is.  Kind of think about the lack of a thumb safety but I quit worrying about Glocks a long time ago.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just picked a LC9s Pro up.  I am amazed at how nice the trigger is.
View Quote

I am amazed that no one talks about how long the reset is on the lc9s, its almost kahr long  
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 2:50:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am amazed that no one talks about how long the reset is on the lc9s, its almost kahr long  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just picked a LC9s Pro up.  I am amazed at how nice the trigger is.

Nope, just you...
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought one this past Saturday and got to put a few rounds through it yesterday.
This is my first 9mm and so far I'm really liking it. Very nice trigger and good accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#14]
If the LC9s is half as good as the old LC9 I'm wearing right now, it will prove to be a superb pistol.  I really like my LC9 and would buy an "s" but I look at my LC9 and think "Whyget rid of it?"

Hundreds of rounds downrange, this is a great pistol.   I bet the s is, too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#15]
find someone with the s version, the trigger breaks at about 3/4 or less than what the hammer fired version does, and that's in length of pull. Trigger pull weight was also fairly light.

If you're used to the hammer version trigger pull the striker fired version will almost startle you when it breaks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
find someone with the s version, the trigger breaks at about 3/4 or less than what the hammer fired version does, and that's in length of pull. Trigger pull weight was also fairly light.

If you're used to the hammer version trigger pull the striker fired version will almost startle you when it breaks.
View Quote

It startled me and I'm used to shooting striker fired guns (Glock, XD(m), M&P)
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to a my lgs that had the lc9, the lc9s and the shield. The shield felt mushy but had a pretty good break, the lc9 had a LONG trigger pull and the pull seemed to get progressively heavier the farther you went, the lc9s broke before I felt like I was even pulling. However, keep in mind I intentionally tried the lc9s last. There's a tremendous difference in length and weight of pull.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I went to a my lgs that had the lc9, the lc9s and the shield. The shield felt mushy but had a pretty good break, the lc9 had a LONG trigger pull and the pull seemed to get progressively heavier the farther you went, the lc9s broke before I felt like I was even pulling. However, keep in mind I intentionally tried the lc9s last. There's a tremendous difference in length and weight of pull.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I was expecting to buy the Shield but after comparing the triggers the lc9s was the clear winner and I bought it instead
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a lot made about the old LC9 trigger but I really don't know if I like the idea of a small EDC w/ a trigger much different.  I like the old trigger.  Maybe the new one is a lot better, but for something that is holstered/unholstered and worn in all clothes and in all weather, with possibly numb hands and from cold, etc, I can't fault the old one too much at all.  I like it.

Here is a 19 shot group I shot at 10 meters with mine this moringing.  I cannot recommend the load as it is pretty hot, but I list it just to show what I shot.

5-shots at 10 meters also.

An old batch of groups.  Some at 100 meters two-handed plus one-handed plus a group at 16.5 meters.

And another.

These are really good pistols.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I got one (the lcp9s pro) a few weeks ago, but didn't get it to the range for awhile. When I did I was very pleasantly surprised. A buddy had gotten one about two months ago and raved about it. I was a bit skeptical but did a lot of research and decided to get it.

At the range my 11 yr. old grand daughter shot it accurately and flawlessly as did my 28 yr. old son. I did too and was impressed to say the least with the trigger, accuracy and reliability. I will put at least 100 more rounds through it before declaring it my  pocket gun, but so far I really like it!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I also have an LC9 Pro.  Got it from a guy who had to come up with some cash to fix his truck.  It shoots really well, great trigger, compact and slim.  Both the wife and I have run about 300 rounds thru it.  Honestly, I think I prefer the LC9 pro to my Glock 43.  Not ready to dump the G43, but I'm thinking the Ruger just might be my EDC. BTW the wife's every day carry is an older LC9 with a Galloway trigger improvement kit.  She loves it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#22]
The LC9 is a great pistol.  I carry mine elk hunting, in a pocket in case lunch turns up...

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#23]
If you are going to shoot for practice much, the Shield 9mm has a better grip.  It is the most shootable of the entire group of single stack 9mms.  With the 7 versus 8 round magazines it is like two pistols.  Excellent reset.

The LC9s and Pro have a wonderful trigger.  But with a long reset.  The grip strap is narrowr than the Shield at the web of your thumb and finger.  It hurts.   The frame is one length and shorter and transfers recoil more sharply than the Shield.  It seems slimmer than a Shield but not much.  The fakey grip extension is poorly thought out compared to the Shield 8 round magazine system.

Find the recent Guns & Ammo test of 10 single stack 9s.  It is a little stupidly done, but has a lot of info.  (Shooting dry dirty guns is stupid.  Calling a slide lock open by the shooters thumb a malfunction is stupid.  Shooting guns out of the box without cleaning and lubing them is stupid.  But G&A writers have very limited abilities anyhow so its the best they could do.)

Shoot both.  Put both in your pocket. Feel them in your hand.  They are too close for generalities.

Regarding EVR:  Nice shooting.  Make sure the man who actually practices is on your team.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you are going to shoot for practice much, the Shield 9mm has a better grip.  It is the most shootable of the entire group of single stack 9mms.  With the 7 versus 8 round magazines it is like two pistols.  Excellent reset.

The LC9s and Pro have a wonderful trigger.  But with a long reset.  The grip strap is narrowr than the Shield at the web of your thumb and finger.  It hurts.   The frame is one length and shorter and transfers recoil more sharply than the Shield.  It seems slimmer than a Shield but not much.  The fakey grip extension is poorly thought out compared to the Shield 8 round magazine system.

Find the recent Guns & Ammo test of 10 single stack 9s.  It is a little stupidly done, but has a lot of info.  (Shooting dry dirty guns is stupid.  Calling a slide lock open by the shooters thumb a malfunction is stupid.  Shooting guns out of the box without cleaning and lubing them is stupid.  But G&A writers have very limited abilities anyhow so its the best they could do.)

Shoot both.  Put both in your pocket. Feel them in your hand.  They are too close for generalities.

Regarding EVR:  Nice shooting.  Make sure the man who actually practices is on your team.
View Quote

That is subjective. My wife has carried a Shield since right after they came out and loved it, until she shot a LC9s Pro. Now she prefers the Ruger over the Smith by a wide margin. Her accuracy is better with the Ruger and she says it feels much better to her when shooting.

Excellent reset on a Shield? That's the first I have heard that used to describe a factory Shield.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Short forward movement.  Distinct click feel.  Glock like pull.  Only perhaps 1# heavier than a good Glock.  Shield WAY better than any full size M&P I ever tried.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#26]
One suggestion:    Don't let anyone else "test drive" your LC9s pro if you get one.

I made that mistake with my son.  He now keeps "borrowing" it.  So basically I'm back to carrying my G19.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 1:55:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine shipped with a US mag and I bought another 1 or 2 Italian. I was loading the US mag at the range and put 1 round in. It fell out. I did it again. It fell out again. The follower would bind just a hair under the first cartridge and drop it when you tipped the magazine. Another issue I didn't see mentioned-the slide release on some including mine takes an obscene amount of pressure to release.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

That doesn't bother me in a pistol as small as the LC9s. But I've also had a Kahr PM45 for a while and never had any problem with the trigger. But didn't keep the Kahr, even after 500 rounds and a polish job it would occasionally misfeed, even with 230 & 185 gr FMJ.

I also had a Sig P938 Sport for a while, a great quality gun but even with the extended mag & Hogue grip it felt too small. Recoil was actually almost as bad as my PM45. but while I could get good groups from the PM45 @ 10 yards the P938 was all over the place, both with 124 gr and 147 gr. std loads. The p938 trigger pull was also ridiculously high out of the box, had to drop in a colt Mustang spring to get it down to a 5 or 6 lb pull.

I also have a Walther PPS with 7 & 8 round mags, probably the best striker fire trigger I've shot, soft recoil & VERY flat so it's easy to carry but with a 7 round mag it almost feels like a full sized pistol in your hand and the 8 round mags does give it a full grip. Also hands down the most accurate single stack 9 I've ever shot. But it also has a high bore axis, so the only way to get it close to the overall height of the Ruger is with a 6 round mag and that's a pretty shallow grip, absolutely no room for a pinky. Cheapest PPS I've seen is $550 so it's quite a bit more too.

The other compact I took a close look at was the 9mm Shield, nice feel, has a great rep and most shops are selling a ton of them so they're popular. But bigger & heavier than the LC9s. Since it's also designed for the S&W .40 a Shield would probably be a more rugged platform for shooting hot/+P 9mm but that's not what I want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top