Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2015 8:26:04 PM EDT
To the range today to shoot this new gun that my wife bought. This is a .357mag. She was shooting 38spl. thru it. After shooting the first five rounds the trigger locks up and you have to pull it forward to
be able to fire the next round. It did this for every five rounds load of the gun two or three times the trigger would lock up. I will have to call Ruger to send this gun back. The wife is heart broken over this.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd try stripping it and cleaning it out very well before sending it in. I've heard Ruger has gotten better about this, but the guns used to be VERY dirty inside when new. When I bought my GP100 and SP101 (admittedly, 7 or 8 years ago), they were so dirty I thought that Ruger may be saving money on the trash bill by dumping the floor sweepings into the guns before shipping them out. Rugers also used to be known for burrs on the metal parts, which may also be a problem. Strip it, clean it and lube it very well, then try shooting again before sending it in. May help, may not, but at least then you'll know. Good luck.

Bub75
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
E-mail from Ruger the gun is beyond repair. they are sending a new one out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
E-mail from Ruger the gun is beyond repair. they are sending a new one out.
View Quote

Huh, something must have really been wrong with it then.  At least Ruger is standing behind their product and making it right.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Good news today from Ruger CS that the new replacement SP101 TALO shipped FedEx 2day shipping and will be at my LGS this coming Friday. The wife can't wait to shoot it :-) .
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Did they engrave over the S&W logo?

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good news today from Ruger CS that the new replacement SP101 TALO shipped FedEx 2day shipping and will be at my LGS this coming Friday. The wife can't wait to shoot it :-) .
View Quote

Why in the world did they not send it to you direct ?  I'ts allowed for repair and warranty as long as a replacement is the same type firearm. That the way it use to be. Did it change ?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#8]
You can't receive a replacement gun to your home if you have different serial numbers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#9]
You can receive a replacement if it comes from the factory. I have received replacement glock receivers with different serial numbers  at home to replace destroyed frames.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can't receive a replacement gun to your home if you have different serial numbers.
View Quote

Sure you can.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#11]
That sucks brother, I just bought my wife one last about two weeks ago and she loves it.

Are they replacing it with another engraved model?  Its my understanding that they are no longer in production

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sure you can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure you can.

Nope.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nope.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure you can.

Nope.

Yes.

The previous frame was destroyed, the serial number noted and a new serial is re-issued with the new gun. As long as you live in a free state getting a reissued serial is not a big deal. I have a Beretta and two Glocks with reissued frames and serials. Glock typically will preface these replacement frames with a -1 in front of the new serial.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Well this has been posted the second SP101 failed to work properly. The second gun with over 100 rounds thru it the trigger would lock up intermittently, I am not going into a long story here it went back and they have repaired it but we went for an exchange for a GP100 TALO. It will be shipped to my LGS. They will not send it to me.
The wife has given up on revolvers she will stick with her Sig P238 to carry. :)
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#15]
2 SP101's in a row locked up on you??? ruger is pretty good at functioning normally, either as a hammer or a gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:00:19 PM EDT
[#16]
The SP101 is very sensitive to short stroke, if the cylinder does not rotate the full revolution and you release the trigger the trigger will not pull unless you rotate the cylinder to the "lock" point

My (Wife's) SP101 is the same way, and I dislike it but its just a short stroke issue

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#17]
The Ruger TALO has been replaced by Ruger CS with a GP100 SS 3" for me. The wife gave up with Ruger Sp101's and has now bought a Rossi SS .357 mag black rubber grips which works great for her.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Hate to hear you had all these problems with Rugers.

My favorite two handguns are GP100 SS 4.2" and Super Red Hawk 71/2" 44 Mag.

Both awesome shooting machines.

I think you'll enjoy that GP100, it's one fun .357 to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top