Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2015 10:16:28 AM EDT
Can someone explain the difference between these two guns?    I'm not a Ruger Mark/22/45 expert by any means.  I had always thought the 22/45 was a model and the Mark series was a different model.   The Ruger website show them listed separately.

What really got me wondering is where I work part time(Academy Sports) we were discussing the models to be used on the 4473 because ATF was whining.   Anyway I pulled a Mark III off the display and we were reading the receiver trying to decide what to use as the Model.    The receiver had "Target Model" and also Ruger 22/45 Mark III.

So to me this is confusing.    Is it a 22/45 or a Mark III?
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The uppers are the same on both guns. The 22/45 has a frame that looks like a 1911. If it looks like a 1911 it's a 22/45.

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The uppers are the same on both guns. The 22/45 has a frame that looks like a 1911. If it looks like a 1911 it's a 22/45.
View Quote

That's all well and good but if the receiver says "22/45 Mark III" which model is it?   I forget what the box said

Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#3]
It's both.

22/45 means it has a plastic frame that mimics the 1911 grip angle. They have made the 22/45 in MKII and MKIII configuration.

Mark III is the latest version of the Ruger 22 pistol. Compared to the MKII, It has a thumb actuated mag release, magazine disconnect, loaded chamber indicator, and the mags are different.

The MKII and MKIII could have either the traditional steel grip frame or the plastic 22/45 grip frame.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:41:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

we were discussing the models to be used on the 4473
View Quote

Model number is on the box.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://www.ruger.com/images/productLabel.png

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
we were discussing the models to be used on the 4473

https://www.ruger.com/images/productLabel.png

And that is part of the issue.   Academy is pushing us to use what is stamped on the firearm itself.  In the case of the 22/45 - Mark III it seems confusing.

So guess in this case we would put "22/45 MK III" while the box says it's a "P512MKIII"
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#6]
what is written on the 4473 should reflect stamped or engraved info from the receiver or other place that includes the serial number.
What Rugers factory Model designation is on the box ( long ass numbers and letters) does not matter. The object is for someone at a later date to be able to identify the firearm.... With out the box !  So only use model designations that are stamped or engraved on a receiver or frame.
If it is stamped or engraved 22/45 MKIII then that's what you write on the 4473. If it is Stamped or engraved Mark III, MKIII only..then you only write that.

Edit: when a firearm comes in without a box and you are entering it you only have what's stamped or engraved on the firearm to go by.
I am unaware of a database available for FFL's that has a cross reference for every factory designation for every firearm ever produced anywhere in the World.

Edit2: the reality is either should be acceptable to ATF. it is going to show up by serial number anyhow if it is run someday.
I always used what is stamped or engraved on receiver. Never had any issues with ATF. I have sold several firearms that turned up at crime scenes and we're back tracked through the Manufacturer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Which part of it is "THE GUN"?   I suspect it is the tube behind the barrel that constitutes the receiver on this particular gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top