Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2015 4:14:46 PM EDT
I've recently picked up a stainless gp100 and was wondering about the safety of leaving the gun fully loaded with the hammer down. This is my first revolver so be easy on me. I've always heard that in the olden days revolvers would go off if the gun was full and the hammer was struck when it was in down position. But seeing as this gun doesn't have a half cock position it has me wondering. Also, is this gun safe to dry fire? I'm not going to do it to really at all but would like to know if it's something I should stay away from completely.

Btw, awesome handgun! It has a 4ish inch barrel and it very accurate. I've always wanted a S&W to play with but this really filled that hole. And for a heck of a lot cheaper too! Great gun that is fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You will be fine.  The hammer down thing is for SSA, where the hammer is touching a live round.  Ruger has transfer bar, so the hammer does not touch the live round.  Also dry fire the crap out of it, the more you dry fire the better you will be with live rounds.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will be fine.  The hammer down thing is for SSA, where the hammer is touching a live round.  Ruger has transfer bar, so the hammer does not touch the live round.  Also dry fire the crap out of it, the more you dry fire the better you will be with live rounds.
View Quote

Great! Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup, he's exactly right.  Congrats on the new revolver, GP100's are great choices!
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I was surprised to see the manual say dry fire as much as you want.

Txl
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top